100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP Bargains

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: SP Bargains

Postby fast dogs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:28 am

Inukchuk wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

One guy I'm a bit confused about is Danks. His minor league numbers were never good, with an ERA in the high 4's/low 5's. Last year he performed well above his expected potential and yet some consider him an SP bargain next year. I would be very interested to hear why the Danks promoters think this. I think of him more as someone who will not live up to their draft day price. The reason I'm curious is because I recently inherited a keeper team with him on it, and I'd like to be talked into keeping him...thoughts?

take a look at Danks game log from last year. I don't think he missed a turn all year, only 3 times gave up more than 4 earned runs. granted alot of those starts were only 6 innings but he kept them in almost every game he started, & the Sox pen was set up to take over after 6 from a starter.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:31 pm

Hey I didn't write that. :-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:40 pm

fast dogs wrote:take a look at Danks game log from last year. I don't think he missed a turn all year, only 3 times gave up more than 4 earned runs. granted alot of those starts were only 6 innings but he kept them in almost every game he started, & the Sox pen was set up to take over after 6 from a starter.

I guess what I'm wondering is: how did he all of a sudden get so good? I just see a guy that outperformed his minor league numbers against major league hitters. To me, that screams fluke year.

And Field, I wouldn't expect anything great from Cabrera, but it should be interesting to see what a change to the NL will do. It can't hurt, right?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
fast dogs wrote:take a look at Danks game log from last year. I don't think he missed a turn all year, only 3 times gave up more than 4 earned runs. granted alot of those starts were only 6 innings but he kept them in almost every game he started, & the Sox pen was set up to take over after 6 from a starter.

I guess what I'm wondering is: how did he all of a sudden get so good? I just see a guy that outperformed his minor league numbers against major league hitters. To me, that screams fluke year.

And Field, I wouldn't expect anything great from Cabrera, but it should be interesting to see what a change to the NL will do. It can't hurt, right?

What stats are you looking at? Are they the ones where he was 20/21 in the AA/AAA (two hitters leagues)? I'm guessing that if you adjusted his stats to a neutral environment and took age relative to level into account they wouldn't look too bad. I do expect his numbers to rise a little next year, but he'll be pretty solid imo. And based on the buzz on him (lack thereof) I think he'll be a bargain on draft day.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:05 pm

kab21 wrote:What stats are you looking at? Are they the ones where he was 20/21 in the AA/AAA (two hitters leagues)? I'm guessing that if you adjusted his stats to a neutral environment and took age relative to level into account they wouldn't look too bad. I do expect his numbers to rise a little next year, but he'll be pretty solid imo. And based on the buzz on him (lack thereof) I think he'll be a bargain on draft day.

Those were, in fact, the stats I was looking at. I was unaware that those were 2 hitters leagues, which would explain his struggles to an extent. Before that, he was quite solid.

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I may actually hang on to him and see what he can do. Very nice, kab... ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:59 pm

With JJ Putz being traded, I wonder if Morrow returns as the closer. Not the brightest move but that might be the case. I think Fausto Carmona can be a steal; have only seen the cafe mock(he went 18th I believe) & if that's an indication of where he's being drafted, I'm absolutely buying.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers