SP Bargains - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP Bargains

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: SP Bargains

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Hmmm a a 24 year old with a career 3.50 ERA in 300 innings vs. a 24 year old Colorado pitcher with no control vs. a 24 year old AL pitcher with a career 5 ERA, poor control, and no rotation spot.

Gee, this is such a difficult decision.

I don't think everyone is talking about the same thing. I'd take Josh and Ubaldo ahead of Clay in fantasy, this year, but that doesn't mean Clay isn't the better talent. Thats all I was going for with a couple of my comments. With that said if I only had 1 pick left in the draft and my rotation was already all set, I'd take the flier on Clay out those 3. But that won't happen as Ubaldo and Josh both go, where....mid to late teens.....so the thought is moot.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Daniel Cabrera
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:23 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Parra is the kind of guy this thread should revolve around. Most of the others are going to be hyped up to the point that they'll be drafted too early for most people's tastes. A guy like Parra is likely to actually fall (or be forgotten) to a point where he's worth the upside.

Agreed. Also remember that Parra's big concern coming into this year was his durability. Making it through the year relatively unscathed was a very big deal. I expect very nice things from him in the next few years if he has, in fact, shaken the injury bug.

One guy I'm a bit confused about is Danks. His minor league numbers were never good, with an ERA in the high 4's/low 5's. Last year he performed well above his expected potential and yet some consider him an SP bargain next year. I would be very interested to hear why the Danks promoters think this. I think of him more as someone who will not live up to their draft day price. The reason I'm curious is because I recently inherited a keeper team with him on it, and I'd like to be talked into keeping him...thoughts?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Inukchuk wrote:The reason I'm curious is because I recently inherited a keeper team with him on it, and I'd like to be talked into keeping him...thoughts?

Why not deal him since his value is relatively high? I'm not completely sold on him either though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm actually looking to deal him, but my pitching is so weak I could use any help I could get at this point.

Oh the joy of inheriting deadbeat teams... !+)
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:37 pm

J35J wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:Hmmm a a 24 year old with a career 3.50 ERA in 300 innings vs. a 24 year old Colorado pitcher with no control vs. a 24 year old AL pitcher with a career 5 ERA, poor control, and no rotation spot.

I don't think everyone is talking about the same thing. I'd take Josh and Ubaldo ahead of Clay in fantasy, this year, but that doesn't mean Clay isn't the better talent. Thats all I was going for with a couple of my comments. With that said if I only had 1 pick left in the draft and my rotation was already all set, I'd take the flier on Clay out those 3. But that won't happen as Ubaldo and Josh both go, where....mid to late teens.....so the thought is moot.

Josh Johnson will go 10 rounds ahead of either Jiminez or Buchholz, as well he should. He's already shown more in the majors and he's got more immediate upside. Johnson will go into the draft as a top 30 or top 40 rated SP. Jiminez probably top 60. Buchholz probably top 80. Johnson is currently significantly better than either of them. Now maybe you think Buchholz was considered the better prospect, but your discounting the fact that Johnson was in the majors when he was 21 and Buchholz was in low A.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
J35J wrote:

Josh Johnson will go 10 rounds ahead of either Jiminez or Buchholz, as well he should. He's already shown more in the majors and he's got more immediate upside. Johnson will go into the draft as a top 30 or top 40 rated SP. Jiminez probably top 60. Buchholz probably top 80. Johnson is currently significantly better than either of them. Now maybe you think Buchholz was considered the better prospect, but your discounting the fact that Johnson was in the majors when he was 21 and Buchholz was in low A.

I'm not discounting anything ;-)

But this only re-enforces my thought that starting pitchers will be wide open this year. I won't go near Josh as a top 30 SP
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Maris09 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:37 am

J35J wrote:I'm not discounting anything ;-)

But this only re-enforces my thought that starting pitchers will be wide open this year. I won't go near Josh as a top 30 SP

I agree with that.....and I'm the one that listed him as a sleeper.

I wouldn't call the guy significantly better than Jimenez though. He's had a good 1st half of one year, and then a good 2nd half of another. Can't ignore that he's an injury risk. That said, I do really like the guy this year.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby horatio » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:18 am

Whoever mentioned Morrow and Litsch could be onto something. I also think you might to do well in the very late rounds with Kuroda, Jurrjens, Galarraga, and Dana Eveland just to name a few.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Field » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:26 am

Another Blown Save wrote:Daniel Cabrera

Seriously? Unless you've seen something I haven't, Cabrera hasn't shown anything in the past few years to indicate that he'll ever be fantasy worthy. He's the ultimate looks like Tarzan plays like Jane pitcher.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers