Opinions please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Opinions please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Opinions please

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Then I see the fault is on you. You can't spend that much money on a single player. Let someone else take them for $39 and grab all your players from the next tier down and don't leave any value on the table when the other owners are trying to fill in their roster.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:03 pm

grammysboy wrote:
noseeum wrote:If his name isn't Pujols he isn't worth $40.

I'm sure Vlad won't net such a high price tag this year, but if players like Berkman, Hamilton, Teix are netting $35, let other people use all that money and clean up on the next tier.

What are you using for your bidding? Have you set a maximum price for each player that you would go to?

We are actually a modified keeper league. Owners can keep up to 10 players at the price they
bought them for a second year. No player may be kept after the second year. Pujols was kept last year at $42 but will be back in the auction this year. Hamilton was bought for $10 and won't be in the auction this year his owner would be foolish to put him back in. Most owners keep 5-6 players at average salaries of $7 (McClouth and Quentin were both bought for $1!), which actually leaves more money to spend on players Teix was first year at $35 and will probably be kept.

I actually do set values on the players I draft, I just got caught up in the Beltran mania and spent all I allowed for him. Same the next year for Bay who was the darling of baseball the year before. If Hamilton were going to be in our draft this year, he would be the one I would target with the $40 tag.

Ah, that definitely will cause price distortions, so the inflated pricing makes sense now.

How many guys are you keeping? If you are holding a lot of bargain players, I would go to $45 easy on Pujols, and probably more depending on my keepers.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:16 pm

J35J wrote:
grammysboy wrote:
J35J wrote:Stop spending $40 on players.

This was the conclusion I had come to, but even $30 players have been busts in this league. If anyone predicted V-Mart ($32) and Travis Hafner ($34) were going to be as terrible as they were last season, I show you a liar. $30+ for those two seemed reasonalbe at the time. It seems that both had undisclosed injuries that caused most of their problems. Are there any "studs" you're aware of who may have an injury that would cause him to be a bust this season?

Not many would have said V-Mart would have been a bust but I would think most would tell you he wouldn't be worth $32, that seems quite high to me. It sounds like you are wanting someone to tell you exactly who the busts will be....not going to happen....no one knows. There are numerous threads already though that show who people like and dislike, as well as rankings that will show the same....even the predictions forum will give you an idea of what people think about certain players.

ding ding. ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mike_nyc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:42 pm

Ludwick
McClouth - who i actually like..

It's cyclical..the guys who were expensive last year and didnt live up to the price will likely be value deals this year...on the opposite end, the cheaper guys who overachieved will carry higher tags
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pjalst » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:16 pm

took the words right out of my mouth + ;-D

I'd put my Max at $30 and even then I'd be very hesitant to spend that much on a single player. In one of my $260 leagues, I had a guy spend $50 on Pujols one year and another guy spent $42 for A rod. Needless to say, neither team finished in first place.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:13 pm

pjalst wrote:

took the words right out of my mouth + ;-D

I'd put my Max at $30 and even then I'd be very hesitant to spend that much on a single player. In one of my $260 leagues, I had a guy spend $50 on Pujols one year and another guy spent $42 for A rod. Needless to say, neither team finished in first place.

I don't think that holds in a keeper league with discounts. Lots of owners will be sitting on extra cash and will be willing to spend it.

That said, to the original poster, josh Hamilton would never be worth $40. One season does not make a top 5 guy. His second half fade should give you pause also. I know he's not available, but if you're thinking he's worth $40 than you may need to reevaluate your assessments.

The goal is to get more value than you're paying for. Hamilton could have an amazing year and still not return $40. You don't want to pay for a player's ceiling.

No matter what the setup the only two players I'd go over 40 for are arod and pujols. And if I didn't have keeper discounts I'd take arod off that list.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pjalst » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

noseeum wrote:
grammysboy wrote:
noseeum wrote:If his name isn't Pujols he isn't worth $40.

I'm sure Vlad won't net such a high price tag this year, but if players like Berkman, Hamilton, Teix are netting $35, let other people use all that money and clean up on the next tier.

What are you using for your bidding? Have you set a maximum price for each player that you would go to?

We are actually a modified keeper league. Owners can keep up to 10 players at the price they
bought them for a second year. No player may be kept after the second year. Pujols was kept last year at $42 but will be back in the auction this year. Hamilton was bought for $10 and won't be in the auction this year his owner would be foolish to put him back in. Most owners keep 5-6 players at average salaries of $7 (McClouth and Quentin were both bought for $1!), which actually leaves more money to spend on players Teix was first year at $35 and will probably be kept.

I actually do set values on the players I draft, I just got caught up in the Beltran mania and spent all I allowed for him. Same the next year for Bay who was the darling of baseball the year before. If Hamilton were going to be in our draft this year, he would be the one I would target with the $40 tag.

Ah, that definitely will cause price distortions, so the inflated pricing makes sense now.

How many guys are you keeping? If you are holding a lot of bargain players, I would go to $45 easy on Pujols, and probably more depending on my keepers.

He still has to be careful with over bidding on players. Remember, he can only keep players for 2 years. When he has to let his bargain players go, he's not going to have enough money to bid on quality replacement players if he has a bunch of $30-$45 players on his roster. Value is the best way to go here.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers