Points league question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Points league question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Points league question

Postby Paws » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:32 am

All the discussion on points leagues has been about a H2H points league. Does anyone play a total points league were the team with the most points wins?
Paws
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 235
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Points league question

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I've never heard of a full season points league, and I don't think it would work.

I think a major drawback would be that it would be over even earlier than a roto league. A player like Pujols or Arod would have so much more value over a full season points league than he already has because you can continually increase your lead. There's no limit to how big your lead can get.

In roto, it doesn't matter if you have the most home runs by 1 or by 50, you still only score 12 points so another team can go after steals to beat you. But if you have 30 more home runs than the next guy that's at least 180 points more, not including the additional RBIs from scoring other people.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1697
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Points league question

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Paws wrote:All the discussion on points leagues has been about a H2H points league. Does anyone play a total points league were the team with the most points wins?

My brother played in a Roto Points league last year and absolutely loved it. He was in contention all year and wound up getting 2nd place, so I'm not sure about teams being out very early, but I do remember talking to him about the league several times last year, and him raving about how much fun it was. He's trying to get me to convert the league I run to points for the upcoming season, and I'm considering.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 348)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Points league question

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:07 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Paws wrote:All the discussion on points leagues has been about a H2H points league. Does anyone play a total points league were the team with the most points wins?

My brother played in a Roto Points league last year and absolutely loved it. He was in contention all year and wound up getting 2nd place, so I'm not sure about teams being out very early, but I do remember talking to him about the league several times last year, and him raving about how much fun it was. He's trying to get me to convert the league I run to points for the upcoming season, and I'm considering.


Do you mind asking him to post the final points distribution for the league from 1st to 12th? I'd love to see how far down the last guy is and hear his thoughts on the setup too. Pretty interesting that it works. I'd love to hear more.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1697
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Points league question

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:17 pm

noseeum wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Paws wrote:All the discussion on points leagues has been about a H2H points league. Does anyone play a total points league were the team with the most points wins?

My brother played in a Roto Points league last year and absolutely loved it. He was in contention all year and wound up getting 2nd place, so I'm not sure about teams being out very early, but I do remember talking to him about the league several times last year, and him raving about how much fun it was. He's trying to get me to convert the league I run to points for the upcoming season, and I'm considering.


Do you mind asking him to post the final points distribution for the league from 1st to 12th? I'd love to see how far down the last guy is and hear his thoughts on the setup too. Pretty interesting that it works. I'd love to hear more.

I was wrong, he actually got 1st Place, not 2nd. Anyway, here are the final point totals...

1 - 8144
2 - 7767
3 - 7688
4 - 7646
5 - 7644
6 - 7323
7 - 7293
8 - 6948
9 - 6914
10 - 6554

Their point setup was funky, particularly the 2 pts for SB and 8 for SV, which my brother simply exploited by drafting high-SB players like Reyes, Ichiro, and loading up on Closers...

R 1
1B 1
2B 2
3B 3
HR 4
RBI 1
SB 2
BB 1
HBP 1
K -1
IP 3
W 10
L -5
CG 5
SHO 10
SV 8
H -1
ER -1
BB -1
HBP -1
K 1
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 348)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Points league question

Postby Mike_nyc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:28 pm

I think the increase in points leagues can be attributed to football's popularity, but there are more posts each year regarding points league.
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 328
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Points league question

Postby ayebatter » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:32 pm

Mike_nyc wrote:I think the increase in points leagues can be attributed to football's popularity, but there are more posts each year regarding points league.



Yep, I've seen 2 or 3 already this month. :-b




Nah, I'm not - just like picking on the folks from nyc. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12209
(Past Year: 1299)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Points league question

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:56 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
noseeum wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:My brother played in a Roto Points league last year and absolutely loved it. He was in contention all year and wound up getting 2nd place, so I'm not sure about teams being out very early, but I do remember talking to him about the league several times last year, and him raving about how much fun it was. He's trying to get me to convert the league I run to points for the upcoming season, and I'm considering.


Do you mind asking him to post the final points distribution for the league from 1st to 12th? I'd love to see how far down the last guy is and hear his thoughts on the setup too. Pretty interesting that it works. I'd love to hear more.

I was wrong, he actually got 1st Place, not 2nd. Anyway, here are the final point totals...

1 - 8144
2 - 7767
3 - 7688
4 - 7646
5 - 7644
6 - 7323
7 - 7293
8 - 6948
9 - 6914
10 - 6554

Their point setup was funky, particularly the 2 pts for SB and 8 for SV, which my brother simply exploited by drafting high-SB players like Reyes, Ichiro, and loading up on Closers...

R 1
1B 1
2B 2
3B 3
HR 4
RBI 1
SB 2
BB 1
HBP 1
K -1
IP 3
W 10
L -5
CG 5
SHO 10
SV 8
H -1
ER -1
BB -1
HBP -1
K 1


Wow, -1 for hits and walks on the pitchers. That really hurts the value of starting pitchers. All but the best anyway. No wonder he went for closers. I guess the 3 points per inning helps.

Only the top 5 in this league had any shot whatsoever at some point. I assume number 10 just gave up eventually. Must have been a fun league at the top though.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1697
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact