Sleeper 3b - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper 3b

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sleeper 3b

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:54 am

Headley averaged 22 HR per 162 in the minors, why are people predicting 25+ HR in Petco of all places?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:04 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:I like Chase, but that team is too bad and too much of a pitchers park for me to consider him anymore than a late round flier.

silly. im sure you wouldnt say this about adrian gonzalez would you? im not comparing them to him, but you wouldnt write off him just because of his team or park alone.

ya, thats the thing, you really can't compare the two. a crappy team and a huge stadium is enough reason for me to lay off a power prospect with less than 300 AAA ABs and poor contact skills.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 am

not me, but i see him at the bottom of drafts when i think hes fully capable of 15-20 hr.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:08 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:I like Chase, but that team is too bad and too much of a pitchers park for me to consider him anymore than a late round flier.

silly. im sure you wouldnt say this about adrian gonzalez would you? im not comparing them to him, but you wouldnt write off him just because of his team or park alone.

ya, thats the thing, you really can't compare the two. a crappy team and a huge stadium is enough reason for me to lay off a power prospect with less than 300 AAA ABs and poor contact skills.

i wouldnt really call him a "power prospect". the kid can get on base and hit at a high clip. the power numbers are a bonus.

if he put up a .290 15 hr 70 rbi 70 run line with a .900 ops, i think he'd be owned in most all leagues. you can get this guy for next to nothing. im not saying reach and get him in the 12th round or anything, but just someone to keep an eye on.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:10 am

Snakes Gould wrote:

i honestly tend to knock adrian down a few pegs on my sheet because of those factors.
i honestly do not think he will repeat last year.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:21 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
i wouldnt really call him a "power prospect". the kid can get on base and hit at a high clip. the power numbers are a bonus.

if he put up a .290 15 hr 70 rbi 70 run line with a .900 ops, i think he'd be owned in most all leagues. you can get this guy for next to nothing. im not saying reach and get him in the 12th round or anything, but just someone to keep an eye on.

.290 seems like a reach considering how much he strikes out. he also hit .230/.307/.358 at petco last year, though 150 ABs is a very small sample size.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:20 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Headley averaged 22 HR per 162 in the minors, why are people predicting 25+ HR in Petco of all places?

This made me laugh. I'm not saying he'll hit 25+ but you make it sound like since he didn't do it in the minors its not possible to do it in the bigs. Just about every hitter, that is fantasy worthy, out there has hit more homers in the bigs than they did in the minors.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:17 am

J35J wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Headley averaged 22 HR per 162 in the minors, why are people predicting 25+ HR in Petco of all places?

This made me laugh. I'm not saying he'll hit 25+ but you make it sound like since he didn't do it in the minors its not possible to do it in the bigs. Just about every hitter, that is fantasy worthy, out there has hit more homers in the bigs than they did in the minors.

Amen. This is a guy who hit 43 doubles combined AAA and ML last season. I can see him batting .290 even with all the strikeouts, and 25 HR is not out of the question, though it is the upside and not the expectation.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:37 am

jlm53089 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

i honestly tend to knock adrian down a few pegs on my sheet because of those factors.
i honestly do not think he will repeat last year.

He's improved every season for the last four. I obviously can't say for certain that he will improve upon last year, but it's at least possible IMO.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby ayebatter » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:52 am

Snakes Gould wrote:not me, but i see him at the bottom of drafts when i think hes fully capable of 15-20 hr.

I see him sleeping on the waiver wire of most leagues, where all of the other 10-15HR/ low BA. guys are.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers