Mafia Signups -- New year, New roles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mafia Signups -- New year, New roles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mafia Signups -- New year, New roles

Postby ThatDude » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:39 am

While hanging out with family during Christmas, I discovered that my sister and her husband are fans of this mafia stuff. They play in what is basically a chatroom, where whole games can fly by in 15-20 minutes. I played a couple of those, but it turns out I much prefer the forum-based games.

But I was very much a fan of all the different variety of roles to choose from on that site, so I'm bringing some of them here for a game. I haven't modded a game here yet, but I figure I can handle it. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

Here's the setup I concocted :

Town roles :

Doctor - You all know this one. Can't save yourself, but you can save the same person on consectutive nights.

Cop - Investigator. However, you will not learn a player's full role, only if that player is for the town or against the town.

Insane Cop - Same as Cop, but everything is reversed. Pro-town people will appear as anti-town, and vice versa

Tracker - Can choose one person at night. Will follow that person all night and see everyone they visit. Tracker messages will look something along the lines of "_____ visited Player X last night", where ____ = the person you chose to follow.

Watcher - Similar to Tracker. Picks one person at night and will see who visits them, but not where they go. Watcher messages will look something along the lines of "Player X visited _____ last night", where ____ = the person you chose to watch.

War Vet - Cannot die at night. Will kill anyone and everyone that comes on his property at night, whether it's a mafia that wants to kill him, a cop that wants to investigate him, or a doc that wants to save him. Tracker/Watcher do their jobs from a distance, so they are safe from his trigger finger.

Vigilante - You all know this one as well. Can choose to kill or not kill at night.

Bulletproof (2) - Can survive one night kill. However, if targeted by two of the nightkillers(mafia/vig/SK) on the same night, he will die.

** Even though there are 2 Cops, they do not work together and cannot talk with each other at night. If one of the cops dies, his sanity (or lack thereof) will not be revealed.

3rd party roles :

Serial Killer - Nothing new here. Must kill every night. Wins when he's the last man standing.

Amnesiac - During night, he can choose someone that has already died, and take over that role for the rest of the game. If the Doc dies, the Amnesiac can become the Doc. If a mafia role dies, the Amnesiac can take over that mafia role. Can only do this once, so no bouncing around all over the map.

Mafia roles :

Hooker - Chooses one person each night. That person will have their night action, whatever it may be, nullified. Cops won't investigate, Tracker won't track, Doc won't save, Killer won't kill, etc...

Stalker - Chooses one person each night. Will learn the exact role of the person he stalks.

Janitor - Can make a person disappear. If the person he chooses dies that same night, the Janitor will clean up the mess and dispose of it. He will learn the exact role of the victim in the process, and that role will NOT be revealed in the game thread. There will simply be "______ has disappeared." Can only perform this action once in a game, so after he's done it, he essentially becomes a plain ol mafia.

Yakuza - Can sacrifice himself to convert another person into a plain ol mafia. The Yakuza can be saved by the doctor, but that does not stop the conversion, and would allow the Yakuza to covert someone else in the future.

** All of those abilities are in addition to the standard mafia group-vote night kill.

** Mafias will know each other to start day 1, but will not know the exact roles of their partners until they talk to each other that night.

** Mafias are certainly welcome to discuss things at night, but I need separate PM's from each with your vote for the night kill and your individual action. The reason for this is that the votes matter.
- A majority is needed for the night kill, which means 3 people could vote for someone with the other one abstaining, or voting for someone else. This could throw off the cop/tracker/watcher.
- If the war vet is chosen for the night kill, one of the mafias has to die. I will use random.org to decide which one. If only 3 people voted for the war vet, then the remaining mafia that didn't vote for him would be safe from death on that.

One other important thing....

Vote : No Lynch is perfectly acceptable, and may even be in the town's best interest. If it's down to 4 townies and 2 mafia, then an incorrect lynch means the mafia win. Not lynching anyone would ensure that the town lives to see another day. This works the same as any other vote. If 8 votes are needed to lynch someone, then 8 no-votes are needed to not lynch anyone.

Also, all night actions will happen. So if the doc dies at night, the person he picked to save will still be saved (if that person was targeted in the first place).

I'm not planning on starting this until after New Year's, so there should be plenty of time to get 15 people on board.

1. Teddy Ballgame
2. bigh0rt
3. GiantsFan14
4. TheJanitor
5. The Show
6. WaCougMBS
7. Big Pimpin
8. NorthSider2
9. Snakes
Last edited by ThatDude on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mafia Signups -- New year, New roles

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm in. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:05 pm

this seems cool but i have a few questions.

whats with the stalker/watcher. what do you mean "visited"?

i think there may be too much going on here for 1 game. we have trouble getting people to check in and send their votes...to have to wait for every single person, the game could take a while, or vice versa and the game be over in 1 night since so many identities can be revealed in one day.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:this seems cool but i have a few questions.

i think there may be too much going on here for 1 game. we have trouble getting people to check in and send their votes...to have to wait for every single person, the game could take a while, or vice versa and the game be over in 1 night since so many identities can be revealed in one day.

I agree, but this is all just too intriguing to not give a go at. I'm in. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:19 pm

haven't done one of these since we first did them but wow was i good at them. i'm in.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby TheJanitor » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm in. I can already guess which role I'm getting.
TheJanitor
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ThatDude » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:this seems cool but i have a few questions.

Think of it like everyone being in their own house.

The Tracker sits outside and waits for the guy he's picked to leave, follows him, and makes a note of every other house that guy goes to, or "visits".

The Watcher sits outside and just watches the house of the guy he picked, listening to zeppelin tapes and eating beef jerky, making a note of everyone that drops by, or "visits" him.

So.....say you're the Doc, and you choose to protect Teddy.

If the Tracker picked you, he would find out that you "visited" Teddy that night. Can't really protect him if you aren't within arm's reach. Taking that a step further...if Teddy was the SK, and chose to kill hort that night, the Tracker would see that you had "visited" Teddy, but since Teddy was out and about "visiting" hort, his name would show up as well. The PM I would send to the Tracker would be something like : "You saw that Snakes visited Teddy and hort." Even though you didn't really "visit" hort, the guy you were sorta glued to did and that's enough for the Tracker to notice.

If the Watcher picked Teddy, he would find out that Teddy was "visited" by you. Wouldn't see that Teddy killed hort. Wouldn't see if the mafia killed you that same night. The PM would look kinda like : "You saw that Teddy was visited by Snakes."

Neither would find out your exact role, or even if you are pro- or anti-town. Simply where you've been that night / who came by to see you.

The Stalker is the mafia role that is basically just a hyper-cop. Pick/Visit a guy, and you'll learn his exact role. However, if you pick one of the cops, you won't find out if he's sane or insane. Just that he's a cop.

I do see your point about there being a lot of night action, and while that was absolutely one of my goals in this setup, you are right that waiting for everyone to submit their night actions could take a while. I'm thinking about a 24 hour time limit on the night phase, and if you haven't sent your actions in by then, that's just too bad.

I'm also not claiming this setup to be perfect in any way. It's kinda experimental, and may very well need some adjustments for future games. But I'd like to see how this one plays out.
Last edited by ThatDude on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ThatDude » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:16 pm

TheJanitor wrote:I'm in. I can already guess which role I'm getting.

You've got a 1 in 15 shot at it.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:26 pm

I've seen threads like this go by many a time and I still don't have any idea what it is. :*) A quick explanation would be appreciated.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby The_Show » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:35 pm

I'm in.

I think I get the watcher/stalker rolls, but it's still pretty confusing.
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk