Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Unit signs with SF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Big Unit signs with SF

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
the complaint is easy to see. the giants are not winning much of anything this season so why waste the 8 million on a 1 year stopgap when they could use a guy for far less money for 1 year while a younger better option comes along.

now, if randy can muster up enough attention/dollars for the giants to cover the 8 million, then its a good signing.

What's wrong with thinking SF can contend in the NL West this season? Their pitching staff has the potential to be the best top-to-bottom in the entire NL. If they are able to find a decent power-hitting outfielder I don't see why they can't make a run in that division.

They finished 12 GB in the West last year. I guess anything is possible but SF offense would need more than a "decent power-hitting outfielder". SF ranked 15th in R, 13th in OBP and 15th in SLG% in the NL.

I understand, but it's more about the lack of competitive teams in the division than anything. It seems like LA's division to lose, but what if they are unable to re-sign Manny? I actually see SF as the second best team in the division as it stands right now, and that's with a nice 1-2 combo at the top of the rotation, a 3rd starter that should improve (Sanchez) and Unit. Colorado and San Diego are both going to be terrible this year IMO, so I think the opportunity is there.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
stumpak wrote:I don't see how anyone can complain about this signing. $8M/yr for a decent starter is not bad, but to get this in a one year contract with no downside risk in the outyears is pretty good.

the complaint is easy to see. the giants are not winning much of anything this season so why waste the 8 million on a 1 year stopgap when they could use a guy for far less money for 1 year while a younger better option comes along.

now, if randy can muster up enough attention/dollars for the giants to cover the 8 million, then its a good signing.

even if they can't contend, it doesn't make it a bad signing at all. he doesn't block any long term prospects, he showed he's still capable of getting major league pitchers out, hes a veteran presence in a young staff and he fills a big question mark at the end of the rotation where we would have been starting someone like pat misch. it's not like the money is preventing us from signing anyone else, and i don't trust a major league team to just save the money for next year, so they might as well field the best team they can without hurting the team down the line, and that's exactly what RJ does. also with him coming up on 300 wins i can definitely see the attention and fan excitement making up for at least part of the contract.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:18 pm

I don't mind the signing at all....he'll pitch better than Sanchez this year! O:-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:27 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I understand, but it's more about the lack of competitive teams in the division than anything. It seems like LA's division to lose, but what if they are unable to re-sign Manny? I actually see SF as the second best team in the division as it stands right now, and that's with a nice 1-2 combo at the top of the rotation, a 3rd starter that should improve (Sanchez) and Unit. Colorado and San Diego are both going to be terrible this year IMO, so I think the opportunity is there.

I think you are underestimating Arizona and Colorado isn't as bad as you think. Both teams have just as many young players if not more than SF and should improve also. Plus both were better than SF last year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:32 pm

J35J wrote:I don't mind the signing at all....he'll pitch better than Sanchez this year! O:-)

i just hope that RJ is willing to do some mentoring, sanchez (and the rest of the staff) could learn a lot from him. also i believe bumgarner (power lefty like RJ and sanchez) will be at spring training so hopefully he can pick some stuff up as well.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:41 pm

I think this is a great signing by San Fran. And GF, I think you'll have to destroy your system if you actually want Beltre. Our new GM is smart enough to realize what a great player and value he really is despite whatever John Kruk or Steve Phillips might say. ;-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:01 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I think this is a great signing by San Fran. And GF, I think you'll have to destroy your system if you actually want Beltre. Our new GM is smart enough to realize what a great player and value he really is despite whatever John Kruk or Steve Phillips might say. ;-)

well if we would have to destroy our system for one year of beltre, then it would obviously be incredibly stupid and would never happen. if we could get something done without one of the big 4 (bumgarner, posey, alderson, villalona), then i would look into it.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:02 pm

the giants have a power hitter, his name is...

Bengie Molina
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:31 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:well if we would have to destroy our system for one year of beltre, then it would obviously be incredibly stupid and would never happen.

ORLY?

ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:26 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
stumpak wrote:I don't see how anyone can complain about this signing. $8M/yr for a decent starter is not bad, but to get this in a one year contract with no downside risk in the outyears is pretty good.

even if they can't contend, it doesn't make it a bad signing at all. he doesn't block any long term prospects, he showed he's still capable of getting major league pitchers out, hes a veteran presence in a young staff and he fills a big question mark at the end of the rotation where we would have been starting someone like pat misch. it's not like the money is preventing us from signing anyone else, and i don't trust a major league team to just save the money for next year, so they might as well field the best team they can without hurting the team down the line, and that's exactly what RJ does. also with him coming up on 300 wins i can definitely see the attention and fan excitement making up for at least part of the contract.

i think you misunderstood my stance. i was simply showing the other side of the equation. i think its a fine signing for all the reasons you mentioned. i dont know his "mentoring skills" but im sure he'll stir up enough excitement to bring in more fans. you just have to think the 8 mill could be better off used down the line, but like you said, i doubt they would just tack it on to next year's budget.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers