Pros & Cons of Nov- Jan trading? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Pros & Cons of Nov- Jan trading?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pros & Cons of Nov- Jan trading?

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:42 pm

Matthias wrote:All these points are speculative. It's like asking if you should adjust your stats if the MLB opened up a ballpark on the moon. You can talk about it forever, but I don't think it ever comes into play.

Unless someone comes in and says, "I've seen an off-season trade where someone not paying attention really got hosed" I would just call it a non-issue. You can close it down if it makes you feel better, but it won't matter one way or another.

This is my stance as well. My league has always allowed trades all offseason, but very few happen before February anyway. Anyone not ready to trade simply tells you they are not ready if you make an offer or start a discussion. No biggie. :-)
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Freebird27 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:50 pm

I allow offseason trades and have not had any problems. Their typically is little activity until the end of fantasy football. I don't see that it matters that some owners may not pay much attention in the offseason though, other than some trade props may go unanswered....IMO it doesnt hurt to give owners the option.

We have had a flurry of deals this past month as guys start preping for the prospect draft (trading picks is allowed) and I think its a great way to get everyone back in the baseball mindset.. ;-D to offseason trading!
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:11 pm

In my deep dynasty league guys are itching to trade once the season ends. However, we have lots of bookkeeping to do, arbitration, etc. So, we don't open it up till early December. The day we re-open lots of trades are posted that guys have been sitting on. In my shallower dynasty - no minor, etc. - we allow trading almost immediately, but only average a trade or two an off-season. I've found the same to be true in the league I play in. Deep dynasties with minors seem to be filled with guys who want to go all year round as compared to keepers and shallower dynasties. I'd say take the pulse of your league. If everyone is into it, then it adds an exciting aspect to the league. If they are not, allowing trading early wouldn't hurt anything, but I'm doubtful it would enhance your league much either.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner