Pros & Cons of Nov- Jan trading? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Pros & Cons of Nov- Jan trading?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pros & Cons of Nov- Jan trading?

Postby fast dogs » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:04 am

I'm all set to open up some new keeper leagues on CBS, but 1 thing I haven't decided on is trading during the winter months. Right now the keeper leagues I'm playing in basically shut down for 3 months and there is virtually no trade talk during this time. I only play baseball & miss the floating of trade proposals during the down time. Is there a need for down time, do most managers go to football & forget about baseball till the regular season of fantasy football is over? I'm tempted to open trading right back up again once the next years dues have been paid, any thoughts/advice on the pros or cons of offseason trading? thanks
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pros & Cons of Nov- Jan trading?

Postby ayebatter » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Unless you have a league filled with like minded players, its best to shut down for a period of time, how long depends on the league. In most cases fully 1/2 of a league is AWOL during the off season for various reasons, putting them at a disadvantage by not logging onto the league site or boards for long periods of time.

Let your prospective owners know that you're going to have a 365 day a year league and see how it is taken, it might take a while to fill the league, but then you have what you want. By the way, even if they all agree at 1st, you'll lose some after the 1st yr because of that very reason.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:00 am

in my cbs keeper league offseason trading is allowed. i don't really feel is much of an issue or that people will care all that much one way or the other. there haven't been any trades at all so far this offseason, and thats usually how it is even if trading is allowed. people like to get a feel of how the free agent market is going to end up and what their team is looking like going into the draft before anyone really starts getting serious about trading. i like that the option is there, but in the end i don't really think it'll make that big of a deal.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:24 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:in my cbs keeper league offseason trading is allowed. i don't really feel is much of an issue or that people will care all that much one way or the other. there haven't been any trades at all so far this offseason, and thats usually how it is even if trading is allowed. people like to get a feel of how the free agent market is going to end up and what their team is looking like going into the draft before anyone really starts getting serious about trading. i like that the option is there, but in the end i don't really think it'll make that big of a deal.

Same here. ;-D
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 am

warming up to the idea of at least waiting till the regular season is over in football/sometime in January to open it back up again. Maybe some sort of specific start up date brings everyone back together at the same time. If I end up starting 3 or 4 new keeper leagues, I'll probably be ready for a mental break in October
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Postby chargerss24 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:35 pm

We allow off-season trades as well in our keeper league, and with all 12 owners being hard-core baseball fans, it's been a hit. Everyone keeps in touch with each other about who they plan on moving/cutting and it gives us a little something to do in the cold winter months. However, since we are also an auction league, very little trading goes on until player values are set in stone (Feb. 1). Once the values are set, then there will be a flury of trades to get budget/roster limits under the cap by draft day (around the start of the season).
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby MTUCache » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:59 am

Really can't see this being a positive thing unless every player in your league is a 365-baseball freak.

With so much other stuff going on during the off-season, from football to the holidays, etc, etc, it's going to be pretty easy for a large information gap to open up in your league between the hardcore baseball guys and the guys who won't start thinking about it until ST.

With some teams in limbo, not even sure if the owner is going to be playing next year, and other teams on extended vacations, with their owners never even checking the league site (let alone all the other hot-stove stuff going on), I couldn't see anything good coming from it. One owner gets fleeced in a bad trade (because he wasn't keeping up on news), or two guys vastly improve their teams while everyone else is sleeping, and you're going to have a pretty pissed off league come draft/auction day.

Best to close it down after the WS and open back up once the superbowl is over with (Nov-Feb seems reasonable), and let everybody get back into the swing of things for a month or two before the league starts back up.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:42 pm

MTU raises a valid point, but I wouldn't make too much of it just because I can't imagine anyone who is even semi-serious about a league will accept a trade in January if they've been checked out of the baseball news since October. I leave trading open all year long, and the guys in my league are pretty avid fans, but noone really starts looking at their roster until around the Super Bowl. I don't know if we've even had a trade offer before Feb; we certainly haven't had a trade.

So basically, I say it doesn't make any difference. If someone in your league is really jonesing to do it, I would allow it. If noone cares and you'd rather just shut it down until Feb/Mar then you can do that, too.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Pros to offseason trading would be to try and use ADP to your advantage. Many managers use this as their guide to a player's worth. If you value someone who is being drafted later than someone you have, the offseason is a great time to try and make a move.

I haven't had a dynasty or keeper team yet (but would love to at some point), but this would be one of my strategies.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:52 pm

All these points are speculative. It's like asking if you should adjust your stats if the MLB opened up a ballpark on the moon. You can talk about it forever, but I don't think it ever comes into play.

Unless someone comes in and says, "I've seen an off-season trade where someone not paying attention really got hosed" I would just call it a non-issue. You can close it down if it makes you feel better, but it won't matter one way or another.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner