whats the attraction to points leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whats the attraction to points leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: whats the attraction to points leagues?

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:04 pm

A lot of the points are very valid here. I think that points, in the H2H format, is worlds more accurate with respect to performance and rewarding it appropriately. Furthermore, the 1 game 1 week set up I've found to be a lot of fun, as well. As daullaz pointed out, you can set up the point valuation to reflect whatever you want, and JT has done a great job in his league, as have others in theirs.

I was extremely hesitant to even try a H2H Points league 2 seasons ago, but it's been a breath of fresh air and an absolute ton of fun. I strongly recommend being open to it and giving it a shot before people cast judgment.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pjalst » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:20 pm

I've never played points either, but i'm thinking about trying it this season. It sounds like it's similar to fantasy football, You get points for the individual perfomance of your players and those points go toward beating the opponent you're matched up against. Question, would you setup your draft like you would draft for roto? Points seems like a lot of it also requires you to rely on luck in a H2H format.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby apz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 pm

While luck will enter into it, it's mostly in the form of you getting the second highest points in the league that week, but the guy you're playing has the most so you still lose. Hanley, A-Rod, Santana, Pujols, etc are still going to be the most valuable players. I think in drafting, at least for my league, the biggest difference from a category league would be in that pitching is more valuable, especially relief pitching, than what you'd be used to. However, as has been pointed out, you can adjust the scoring any way you'd like. It's a blast.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby noseeum » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:31 pm

There's usually points for walks, so BA doesn't matter as much as OBP. Power and OBP are king.

Closers tend to be way overvalued in the default points settings of most sites too. I always dial saves down. A save shouldn't equal a win.

But remember it's head to head, so streaky guys are a burden. Guys like Sizemore are prized for their consistency. Even in a week he's slumping, he scores runs and gets some SBs.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:29 am

I'm attracted to my points league because I like the pitching scoring better. One bomb of a performance really doesn't impact your ability to win in a points league.

I also like that if my guys hit 11 homeruns in a week vs my competetor's 3 homeruns but my competetor beats me 2-1 in SB's, that it's not a tie, I will win that matchup in a points league.

For example on a larger scale....sample roto scoring....5x5...

Me-opponent
R - 29-31
HR 10-4
SB 4-5
AVG .299 - .305
RBI 55 - 36

IP - 130-89
W - 7-2
S - 2-6
SO - 90-92
ERA - 3.96-3.79

This is a loss in roto, but I get this win in a points league.

There is a bit more strategy involved in putting a roto team together. I love both, but for these reasons I favor points by a hair.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:24 pm

i actually used to play h2h points back in the day with sandbox. it was pretty fun and accurate.

the grips with roto seem to be, as GP pointed out, that no matter how big your lead, its only 1 point. roto tends to get stale before the halfway point in the season, people seem to give up, and for most people there is short-term satisfaction.

for h2h, it simply comes down to being fluky, churning, and not getting a true accurate measure by only using 1 week's worth of sample sizes.

they all have their deficiencies so just find the one you like best.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:04 am

And I'm sure it translates well for the bulk of Fantasy Football players out there too ;D
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:08 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:the grips with roto seem to be, as GP pointed out, that no matter how big your lead, its only 1 point. roto tends to get stale before the halfway point in the season, people seem to give up, and for most people there is short-term satisfaction.

One argument against this is that in roto you're forced to have a team that's good in everything rather than relying on a few monster stats to win the league. Something one of my leagues does to combat loser apathy is to give out money for winning roto on a monthly basis. One year I won the league without ever winning an individual month.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:10 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:the grips with roto seem to be, as GP pointed out, that no matter how big your lead, its only 1 point. roto tends to get stale before the halfway point in the season, people seem to give up, and for most people there is short-term satisfaction.

One argument against this is that in roto you're forced to have a team that's good in everything rather than relying on a few monster stats to win the league. Something one of my leagues does to combat loser apathy is to give out money for winning roto on a monthly basis. One year I won the league without ever winning an individual month.

Yeah, we do this weekly in my main roto league. Quite easy to do on CBS since they already tally up weekly winners.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:51 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

Yeah, we do this weekly in my main roto league. Quite easy to do on CBS since they already tally up weekly winners.

How do you like CBS for baseball? I love it for football relative to Yahoo, but I've never tried baseball. (free versions only)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers