whats the attraction to points leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whats the attraction to points leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

whats the attraction to points leagues?

Postby fast dogs » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:20 pm

excuse the ignorance here, about all I know about points is most/all don't use ERA & Whip. As a guy who likes to win Roto with top notch starting pitching, the points leagues just never interested me. What are the advantages of points leagues?
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: whats the attraction to points leagues?

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:25 pm

fast dogs wrote:excuse the ignorance here, about all I know about points is most/all don't use ERA & Whip. As a guy who likes to win Roto with top notch starting pitching, the points leagues just never interested me. What are the advantages of points leagues?

Points leagues may not use ERA and WHIP specifically but they do use IP, ER, BB, H, etc so it is taken into account. I'm personally not a fan of points leagues either but it definately has its following....awaiting JT's comments. :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby apz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:31 pm

My first fantasy league was categories and I didn't care for it, but I'd like to try it again. I only play points now. I like how just about every positive thing a player does gets some points for my team. A week in h2h points feels more like a 'real' game to me. I like when it's late on Sunday and there's only a few points separating the 2 teams. Every hit, walk, strikeout, stolen base, etc. matters. If I need 5 points, anyone on my team has a chance of getting that.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby fast dogs » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:59 pm

already a little bit wiser than I was, not trying to dis the format just have a little better understanding of the popularity
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 320)

Postby apz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:06 pm

You should try it. Top notch starting pitching also goes a long way in points leagues. Why do you think you wouldn't like a points league?
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby daullaz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:51 am

In our league pitchers get one point per 1/3 inning pitched, -1 for a hit, -1.5 for a run, -1 for a walk, 0.5 per strikeout, and other point bonuses for quality starts, wins, shutouts and complete games, with point deductions for a loss. The best pitchers actually end up outscoring the best hitters. With five SPs starting every week, those top SPs are plenty valuable.

If you tend to value pitching and would like to be in a points-based league that values quality pitcher, you can play with the points awarded for each event till it follows your methodology. That's the beauty of points leagues: you can tweak till your heart's content.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:30 am

daullaz wrote:In our league pitchers get one point per 1/3 inning pitched, -1 for a hit, -1.5 for a run, -1 for a walk, 0.5 per strikeout, and other point bonuses for quality starts, wins, shutouts and complete games, with point deductions for a loss. The best pitchers actually end up outscoring the best hitters. With five SPs starting every week, those top SPs are plenty valuable.

If you tend to value pitching and would like to be in a points-based league that values quality pitcher, you can play with the points awarded for each event till it follows your methodology. That's the beauty of points leagues: you can tweak till your heart's content.

Now all you need to do is get some quality owners in that league and you'll be on to something. Not a single one in the lot!
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:35 am

apz wrote:My first fantasy league was categories and I didn't care for it, but I'd like to try it again. I only play points now. I like how just about every positive thing a player does gets some points for my team. A week in h2h points feels more like a 'real' game to me. I like when it's late on Sunday and there's only a few points separating the 2 teams. Every hit, walk, strikeout, stolen base, etc. matters. If I need 5 points, anyone on my team has a chance of getting that.

Yeah, our money league is a h2h points league and I love it. That Sunday night fever hanging on a few points, who has who pitching, matchups, do you need a SB or two to go ahead...its fun, but heartbreaking at the same time. We also do 11x11, which is unconventional and pretty nuts at times. ;-) ;-D

What I can say is that pitching has a lot of value in our league and like someone else already said, some of the best pitchers are more valuable than the best hitters when its all said and done. The guy who had CC last year rode him all the way from the last playoff spot (he just squeaked into the playoffs) to a third place finish. Between the wins, CG's, K's, no ERA and a miniscule WHIP, he was easily the MVP of our league points-wise.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:44 am

The appeal is just that you are rewarded more appropriately for your team's performance. You could have 100 more rbis than the guy behind you in roto but it's just 1 point in roto.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby noseeum » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:25 pm

It's more the head to head aspect that I like. Once you choose head to head, you really need to go points to get the full experience.

In a points league, each week is a game. You either win or lose. Every week is a fresh week, so even if you're struggling in the standings you have someone you can try to beat. Towards the end of the year, struggling teams can try to play playoff spoiler, etc.

In head to head roto style, it's not that way. If you win 8-3 in head to head roto and the next guy won 6-5, you've gained 2 "games" on him. So you're really always playing against the whole league, even though your points come from playing against one team. I don't like that.

At a high level, head to head points leagues are a lot more fun and exciting for me, but the big drawback is a lot of luck is involved.

There have been too many weeks where I scored the second most points in my league but I happened to play the guy who scored the most points. So I get a loss and some guy who I would have beat by 150 points gets a win. Those weeks are frustrating, but you take the good with the bad.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers