BB and K rates for batters, what do I look for? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

BB and K rates for batters, what do I look for?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BB and K rates for batters, what do I look for?

Postby slickterp » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:40 pm

In analyzing prospects for upcoming drafts, or for players in general, what are considered acceptable BB and K rates? It seems ot me that a 10% BB rate would be good (60 BB in 600 PA). But for K rates I can't figure it as easily. I mean, I see alot of 20% figures for prospects, which I suppose is natural given the adjustments needed as young players move up levels. But then agian, 20% means 100 K in 500 PA, and that doesn't sound that great....

Do you guys allow for a greater K rate for power prospects (which also seems fairly natural, the big power guys K alot, like say Ryan Howard)?

Wat would everyone say is an average or baseline "decent" K rate where I would look at the number and say "wow, that's really bad", or "that's really great".

Thanks for any advice, the info I get here is invaluable in my leagues, all of which I am top 2-3 in every year thanks to sites like this.
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BB and K rates for batters, what do I look for?

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:46 am

slickterp wrote:In analyzing prospects for upcoming drafts, or for players in general, what are considered acceptable BB and K rates? It seems ot me that a 10% BB rate would be good (60 BB in 600 PA). But for K rates I can't figure it as easily. I mean, I see alot of 20% figures for prospects, which I suppose is natural given the adjustments needed as young players move up levels. But then agian, 20% means 100 K in 500 PA, and that doesn't sound that great....

Do you guys allow for a greater K rate for power prospects (which also seems fairly natural, the big power guys K alot, like say Ryan Howard)?

Wat would everyone say is an average or baseline "decent" K rate where I would look at the number and say "wow, that's really bad", or "that's really great".

Thanks for any advice, the info I get here is invaluable in my leagues, all of which I am top 2-3 in every year thanks to sites like this.

For me it all depends on the player and their situation. You can't look at the numbers the same for every player. Say you have 2 guys with 120Ks over 550ABs....then you see Player A is a 23 year old in A ball and Player B is a 20 year old in AA ball. What if Player A only has 20BB on the year while Player B has 80BB. What if Player A has been in AA for 3 years and this is Player B's first year in AA ball. What if Player A is a light hitting 2B while Player B is a power hitting 1B.

Anyway, someone else may give you more specifics of what they look for in a % but to me it varies quite a bit based on who I am looking at.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Re: BB and K rates for batters, what do I look for?

Postby slickterp » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:05 pm

I see what you are saying.

So you'd be more willing to accept a higher K rate form a power 1B than a slap hitting 2B or SS. Makes sense...
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball