Manny Ramirez Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Ramirez Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Manny Ramirez Rumors

Postby noseeum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:54 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
tah161 wrote:I dont think Manny is going to sign with the Yankee's unless they offer him a considerable amount of money (like the did C.C.)

When he left Boston he said it was a huge weight lifted off his shoulder. All the pressure was gone and he could just go play baseball and LA was a more laid back town.

If he thought Boston was bad, I can imagine NY is just the same if not 10 times worse.

Like I said, You dont what he is going to do but if his words are an indication they I dont think he will sign with them. Unless of course the money is right.

Uh, this has nothing to do with Neato's and Noseeum's argument...wrong thread, my friend... :*) }:-)

Good work RedSoxNation. :-D
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:00 am

Guys, enough with the masqueraded curse words. If you can't express yourself without profanity, go sit in the corner and take a timeout. Work and family friendly posts, please.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:02 am

Here is what it comes down to...
The Cubs and Yanks both spend a ton of money of players, and saturate the market.
But they are not the only ones.

Do not say the Cubs dont spend when we all know they do, and the Yankees homegrown talent is gone, but they are trying...ala Joba, Hughes, Gardner.

The Cubs want to spend so they do, they want to win, but its like throwing money away for them
The Yanks want to win as well, so they spend and spend, but cannot climb that hill yet so far.

End result... most major markets spend more money than needed, and look where it is getting them...

As for Manny, since the Angels pulled out of the Teixera race I believe he will end up there. ;-D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Damn it. !+) I never said the Cubs don't spend. I just said they never got a star player off FA except Soriano and arguably Fukudome. Most of their star players come from trading away all their top prospects, and that's also where most of their payroll is. Lilly, Marquis, and to a lesser extent Dempster are all overpaid FA but not stars.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:26 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Damn it. !+) I never said the Cubs don't spend. I just said they never got a star player off FA except Soriano and arguably Fukudome. Most of their star players come from trading away all their top prospects, and that's also where most of their payroll is. Lilly, Marquis, and to a lesser extent Dempster are all overpaid FA but not stars.

Couldn't you just as easily say that Pavano, Wright, Pettitte, Burnett and to some extent Damon are overpaid FA but not stars?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Burnett and Damon were top 2 FA at their position the year they were signed, plus there's also Matsui, Clemens, Sheff, and Giambi to account for. Pavano and Wright are both the equivalent of Marquis and Pettitte is the equivalent of Lilly, so since they're not stars I'm not counting those three pitchers as such.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Burnett and Damon were top 2 FA at their position the year they were signed, plus there's also Matsui, Clemens, Sheff, and Giambi to account for. Pavano and Wright are both the equivalent of Marquis and Pettitte is the equivalent of Lilly, so since they're not stars I'm not counting those three pitchers as such.

Matsui came from Japan, nobody knew what he was going to be. Kind of like Fukudome. Clemens, Burnett and Damon are big names, sure, but how great is their on-field performance? Clemens signed for what, $30 million dollars over a half a season? And posted an ERA over 4. Everyone and their mother thought Damon was overpaid. And we all know the massive risks that come with Burnett, and I constantly hear Yankee-haters saying that they're glad the Yankees threw a bunch of money at injury-riddled Burnett.

Just because a player has a recognized name doesn't mean that player should be highly sought.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:18 pm

I'll give you Matsui for Fukudome, but the rest were the top FA of their class the year they were signed, which is my point (the Yankees sign players at or right after their peak). Dempster was a lucky break, Lilly's success in Chicago was preceded by two below-average seasons, and Marquis was never all that good before or after his contract.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Oh, also Teixeira.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Oh, also Teixeira.

:-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero