Manny Ramirez Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Ramirez Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RUMOR: Manny Ramirez to Yankees

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:48 am

jlm53089 wrote:Other wise small markets will be wiped out and all that will be left is New York Boston Chicago and LA. %-6

As long as that bum Frank McCourt owns the Dodgers, they'll always be run like a small-market also-ran club and in the instances they pay up, it's dead money.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 am

jlm53089 wrote:If the Yankees do this I believe baseball will be ruined.

Look how competitive football is with a salary cap, teams are on an even playing field and players arent making 25 M a year.

I believe in order for baseball to survive, for a smaller team a CAP needs to be added.
Not a Luxury Tax, a CAP.

Other wise small markets will be wiped out and all that will be left is New York Boston Chicago and LA. %-6

Relax. No need for hyperbole. This would be a terrible deal for the Yankees. Why would you pay Manny $25 million for 3 years when there are so many other good bat/bad glove guys available and you already have 2 guys who are best suited for left field? Manny playing D in NY would be terrible. No way this is true.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:23 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Rotoworld says it's doubtful. The source is definitely questionable. It seems weird that Boras would let this happen before Teixeira signed. It seems that he'd rather have Teix sign in Boston and then have the Yankees, Dodgers and potentially Angels and Nationals all go hard after Manny. So I'm not sure what to think yet.

Rotoworld has a Red Sox bias, I wouldn't take what their opinions regarding this topic that seriously.

Anyway, as a baseball and Manny fan, I would love to see this happen. If he can't play for the Jays, the Yankees are like the next best thing.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Kraftwerk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:36 am

mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Rotoworld says it's doubtful. The source is definitely questionable. It seems weird that Boras would let this happen before Teixeira signed. It seems that he'd rather have Teix sign in Boston and then have the Yankees, Dodgers and potentially Angels and Nationals all go hard after Manny. So I'm not sure what to think yet.

Rotoworld has a Red Sox bias, I wouldn't take what their opinions regarding this topic that seriously.

Anyway, as a baseball and Manny fan, I would love to see this happen. If he can't play for the Jays, the Yankees are like the next best thing.

May I ask why? I'm interested in all seriousness, not trying to be a smarty pants ;-D

With you being a Toronto fan, I wasn't expecting to hear that.
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby mweir145 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:49 am

Look how competitive football is with a salary cap, teams are on an even playing field and players arent making 25 M a year.

I believe in order for baseball to survive, for a smaller team a CAP needs to be added.
Not a Luxury Tax, a CAP.

Other wise small markets will be wiped out and all that will be left is New York Boston Chicago and LA. %-6

Baseball has been surviving for years despite signings like this from the Yankees. In fact, it's thriving.

The Yankee dominance of the past 12 years has only really hurt the few teams in the AL East that aren't willing (or capable) of spending more like Toronto, Tampa, and Baltimore.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:04 am

Kraftwerk wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

May I ask why? I'm interested in all seriousness, not trying to be a smarty pants ;-D

With you being a Toronto fan, I wasn't expecting to hear that.

It's pretty simple, I would love to see Manny destroy the Red Sox on a monthly basis for the next 3 years. I despise that team.

I'm also well past hoping that the Jays will win anything under their current ownership, especially not in this division.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:46 am

i was surprised too, to see a Jays fan want Manny to go to the Yankees. i understand the Sox hate but why not the same hate for the Yankees.
im also a Jays fan, but i hate the Yankees. they have the ability to throw money at anyone they want, and alot of times its not even that smart.. like this whole Manny thing. Manny could be a huge offensive weapon, but he also creates other problems.
i dont necessarily hate the Sox, but i certainly dont like them. i do however think their organization is run better than the Yankees.
as a Jays fan i was hoping to see Manny go somewhere other than the AL East. the Jays dont really have much of a chance at contending anytime soon, especially 2009.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 513)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:10 am

SpecialFNK wrote:i was surprised too, to see a Jays fan want Manny to go to the Yankees. i understand the Sox hate but why not the same hate for the Yankees.
im also a Jays fan, but i hate the Yankees. they have the ability to throw money at anyone they want, and alot of times its not even that smart.. like this whole Manny thing. Manny could be a huge offensive weapon, but he also creates other problems.
i dont necessarily hate the Sox, but i certainly dont like them. i do however think their organization is run better than the Yankees.
as a Jays fan i was hoping to see Manny go somewhere other than the AL East. the Jays dont really have much of a chance at contending anytime soon, especially 2009.

It's a recent thing. This disdain for the Red Sox was all directed at the Yankees when they were winning. At the time, they said it was the arrogance and annoyance of Yankee fans, which existed -- and at the time Sox fans were right there in agreement, until their city started tasting victory again, and they became the very thing they hated half a decade ago. It's been quite interesting to witness the transformation. All this disdain for Boston, though, is a relatively recent thing. It came fast and furiously with the success of the Sox, Pats, and "C's", as they're now seemingly called.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:39 am

noseeum wrote:

Not a Luxury Tax, a CAP.

Why would you pay Manny $25 million for 3 years when there are so many other good bat/bad glove guys available and you already have 2 guys who are best suited for left field?

Because Hank would love to stick it to Boston...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:16 pm

They really should move him back to right in Yankee Stadium.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers