Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny Ramirez Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny Ramirez Rumors

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:06 am

Per MLBTR

Impacto Deportivo Manny Report
By Tim Dierkes [December 21 at 10:53pm CST]

According to a report in the Dominican newspaper Impacto Deportivo, the Yankees are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez to a three-year, $75MM deal. The report says negotiations are advanced and an announcement would take place Monday or Tuesday. If true, this would be an incredible scoop. However, there is reason for skepticism. The money and timing just don't seem right.

A look at Impacto Deportivo's recent history:

* 11/24/08: Reported the Braves as the mystery team in on Rafael Furcal, offering four years and $52MM. The offer was inaccurate, but they did nail the mystery team.
* 11/12/08: Correctly scooped the Damaso Marte signing.
* 2/21/08: Incorrectly indicated the White Sox reached an agreement with Bartolo Colon. Also incorrect on a similar rumor involving the Royals.
* 1/21/08: Correctly scooped the Octavio Dotel signing.
* 11/18/07: Correctly scooped the Luis Castillo signing.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
Last edited by BronXBombers51 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: RUMOR: Manny Ramirez to Yankees

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:13 am

If this is true, then Manny will be the single most hated player in Red Sox history.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Kraftwerk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:24 am

Impactodeportivo.com.do reports that the Yankees are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez to a three-year, $75 million deal.

Doubtful, extremely doubtful. Still, everyone else will picking up on the report soon enough. Manny to the Yankees is a definite possibility, but it's highly unlikely that the two sides are this far along.
Source: Impacto Deportivo

above from Rotoworld...just echoing what BB51 has already mnetioned.

It was bad enough with Damon, but Manny left such a sour taste in the mouth that I really would quite enjoy cheering against him at NYY. He's a HECK of a player, no getting around that fact.

This would be up there with the feeling Yankee fans had when A-Rod opted out during the WS and rumours abour him to Red Soz were abundant.
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:24 am

Rotoworld says it's doubtful. The source is definitely questionable. It seems weird that Boras would let this happen before Teixeira signed. It seems that he'd rather have Teix sign in Boston and then have the Yankees, Dodgers and potentially Angels and Nationals all go hard after Manny. So I'm not sure what to think yet.

Impactodeportivo.com.do reports that the Yankees are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez to a three-year, $75 million deal.
Doubtful, extremely doubtful. Still, everyone else will picking up on the Dominican-based report soon enough. Manny to the Yankees is a definite possibility, but it's highly unlikely that the two sides are this far along. On the off chance that it is, a more legitimate source will pick up on it soon.
Source: Impacto Deportivo
Related: Mark Teixeira, Angels, Red Sox, Yankees, Nationals
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Old_Style » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:25 am

¡Muy interesante!
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:28 am

If it is true, I've said from the beginning that I'd be very happy with Manny in pinstripes on a 2-year deal, and so-so on a 3-year deal. That's how I feel now. It creates a bit of a logjam and a big defensive liability for 2009, but Damon and Matsui's deals are done after this year, at which point Manny can be a full-time DH.

At only 3 years, I don't think his happiness is too much of a concern. He grew up right near Yankee Stadium and would get to face Boston 20 times a year. He'd be a on a competitive team and have A-Rod hitting right in front or right behind him. And when he's on, he's still one of the most dangerous hitters in the game.

But again, I'm not really buying into this yet.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 am

If the Yankees do this I believe baseball will be ruined.

Look how competitive football is with a salary cap, teams are on an even playing field and players arent making 25 M a year.

I believe in order for baseball to survive, for a smaller team a CAP needs to be added.
Not a Luxury Tax, a CAP.

Other wise small markets will be wiped out and all that will be left is New York Boston Chicago and LA. %-6
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:39 am

jlm53089 wrote:If the Yankees do this I believe baseball will be ruined.

Look how competitive football is with a salary cap, teams are on an even playing field and players arent making 25 M a year.

I believe in order for baseball to survive, for a smaller team a CAP needs to be added.
Not a Luxury Tax, a CAP.

Other wise small markets will be wiped out and all that will be left is New York Boston Chicago and LA. %-6

Didn't you win 97 games and go to the World Series this year?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:44 am

Yes we did, but once those players grow up and reach their prime they will want more money and run away.

There are some teams who can manage a way through the league ala Minnesota, Tampa.

But then there are people who just are constantly dump talented players to save money and try to build within and then they want money when money is due, and they deal them away.

It sucks, but its baseball.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Noggy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:45 am

We've already had at least two topics in the past week or so about the Yankees spending, this one doesn't need to go down the same path.

If Manny or Matsui end up in LF and Damon in CF, this is an awful deal. I have nothing against Manny and would love to have him if the Yankees needed a DH, but that isn't the case. The Yankees' defense wasn't good last season and it wouldn't be smart to make it even worse.

If Damon ends up in LF and Manny as the DH and they figure out something with Matsui, then I don't have a huge issue. Although if they can afford Manny's annual salary, they should just get Tex instead.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers