Rays Offseason needs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Rays Offseason needs?

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Rays Offseason needs?

Postby Sun Shine » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Who do we go after in the off season guys? After a great run this year, we gotta add some more fuel to the fire and bring in another bat. Personally, I would love a corner OF who with a big bat or maybe another consistent reliever. As always, though, the budget is limited even after a great season. The addition of Matt Joyce, who came in the Edwin Jackson trade, seems to have sured up some of the need for a power bat, but I cannot see Joyce playing full time. If Rocco's illness is not to serious, I would love to bring him back in a platoon with Joyce. But, I still see the need for the some BP help, even though the BP turned ion a steller 2008. It's obvious now that Percieval cannot complete a full season at his age and with his health, why not bring in a Trever Hoffman, who still has some fuel in a tank and likely wants to win a WS before he retires to add to his already superb credentials.
Sun Shine
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rays Offseason needs?

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:52 am

OF is good by Joyce, good fielder and a good player.
BP help is needed, maybe Saito? but there are some other people out there I would like to get but we will more than likely wait until just before ST.
Also, Burrell and Bradley and Giambi are interested in coming here and I bet we are interested in having them, it would be good to have DH and possibly help Joyce with a day off or two from Bradley, especially since Bradley is so fragile.

But we will just have to wait and see.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Sun Shine » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Sait would make sense as a BP arm who would come at a reasonable price, but he is nto closer material anymore. I could see him, however, as a guy who can sort of cover Wheeler or Balfour's spot in the pen. A Hoffman or Fuentes would be liked much more then Saito, but again, it's all about cost control.

As for an OF bat, I don't see Burrell in the Rays price range. He will likely demand at least a 10 Mil per year deal, and that is not worth paying a guy who does all the same things as Carlos Pena, yet cannot field for his life. Bradley and Giambi are more likely, but I think the best option would be to bring Rocco back, if he gets healthy. The guy is a beast at full strength.
Sun Shine
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Sun Shine wrote:
As for an OF bat, I don't see Burrell in the Rays price range. He will likely demand at least a 10 Mil per year deal, and that is not worth paying a guy who does all the same things as Carlos Pena, yet cannot field for his life. Bradley and Giambi are more likely, but I think the best option would be to bring Rocco back, if he gets healthy. The guy is a beast at full strength.

Both on wrong accounts. Burrell might have wanted more then $10 million, but in this market, he took the smart offer from the Rays. As far as Rocco, well he went to the enemy. I wish him well, and will give him one hell of a standing ovation on April 30th, but then all bets are off.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:20 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Sun Shine wrote:

Both on wrong accounts. Burrell might have wanted more then $10 million, but in this market, he took the smart offer from the Rays. As far as Rocco, well he went to the enemy. I wish him well, and will give him one hell of a standing ovation on April 30th, but then all bets are off.

Time for a new av?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:16 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Time for a new av?

Not right now. See what happens on April 30th.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sun Shine » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:31 pm

:-D Thank god I am wrong. Pat Burrell is the man and will fill in the DH spot admirably. As for Rocco, the best of luck to him. Hopefully he gets his health in order.
Sun Shine
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:33 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Sun Shine wrote:

Not sure if you saw this RUMP, but another class move by Rocco. This guy is the epitome of class and I wish him all the best.

Former Rays outfielder Rocco Baldelli, who signed as a free agent with the Boston Red Sox this offseason, took out a half-page ad in today's St. Petersburg Times thanking Rays fans for their support

http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2009/01/ ... ks-ra.html
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:15 pm

It will be interesting to see what moves the Rays make this offseason. Will Crawford be signed long term? Will a reliever be brought in? Will Burrel be moved? Does Aki or Bartlett get moved?
raiders_umpire

Return to Tampa Bay Rays