Wide open for several closer positions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wide open for several closer positions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wide open for several closer positions

Postby Whalewang » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:02 am

Havok1517 wrote:He couldn't close games in Houston when Lidge went through his hiccup and he's the same pitcher now than he was then except older and his stuff is far behind Rauch and Pena. Both Rauch and Pena struggled down the stretch so all he had to do was be better than Lyon which isn't that hard. He may start the year as the closer but expect bad things if he stays there.

Inukchuk wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:...Qualls is not a closer, period...

I'm not so sure of that. He certainly looked like one in September:

13IP 0ER 5H 1BB 13K 7SV

I would be surprised if he didn't start the season as the Dbacks closer (although I do agree Rauch is probably the best choice).

Everything I've heard points to Qualls closing on opening day at this point.
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:35 pm

From Rotoworld:
Chris Carpenter closer?
Jan. 3 - 11:22 am et
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said he would consider using Chris Carpenter as the team's closer this season, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. More affirmation that La Russa has no faith in his youngsters. Hard-throwing relievers Chris Perez and Jason Motte are chomping at the bit in the St. Louis bullpen, yet their manager thinks he'll get more out of a 33-year-old who has spent over a year dealing with shoulder problems. Carpenter, the team's former ace, should be nursed along during the first half of the season until he feels healthy enough to join the starting rotation, not the bullpen.Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby B-Chad » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:07 am

That would be interesting, as in my league closers with starting eligibility are a huge commodity. On that note, any word on teams interested in John Smoltz and whether he'd sign to fill a rotation spot or close? I have to think he'd be a valuable closer for a team like Detroit or Milwaukee or perhaps even Tampa.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:39 am

B-Chad wrote:That would be interesting, as in my league closers with starting eligibility are a huge commodity. On that note, any word on teams interested in John Smoltz and whether he'd sign to fill a rotation spot or close? I have to think he'd be a valuable closer for a team like Detroit or Milwaukee or perhaps even Tampa.

That's not a bad idea. I haven't heard anything about Smoltz's rehab but after his injury last year I doubt he'll be ready to pitch at a high level at the beginning of the season. But that scenario still makes sense for the Tigers and Tampa Bay. Also, I read that the Cards might consider Carpenter at closer rather than youngsters Perez and Motte but I still lean towards Perez. Also, remember me touting Carlos Villanueva as a possible closer? Well, it looks like he may be the best option for the Brewers after Fuentes signed elsewhere. I would not trust Hoffman pitching at Miller Park at all. Rule-5 pick Eduardo Morlan could be a factor but I'd say he'd have to have a wham of a ST but he should stick in the pen al year. Other pitchers to keep an eye on are Luis Pena with longshots being Seth McClung and Jorge Julio. Also, maybe, just maybe, Mark Rogers can find a way to salvage his career in the closers spot. Still, I'd bet on Villanueva right now.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:54 pm

fast dogs wrote:When Hoffman & Fuentes sign, thats still only 13-14 sure things as to who's got the job. as sure of a thing as you can have with closers anyway. Could this be the wildest year yet as far as closers go? Many teams have several decent options while other teams have options but not good 1's. even after all the dust has settled and all the FA have signed this promises to be a volatile year in the closer game methinks. if you are 1 of those fantasy managers who never is able to be online in the closer of the day sweepstakes this might be a good year to grab 1 of the "nuff said" guys this year

good call...i am hoping to draft as late as possible and grab a Top 10 type and then take some chances late with the rest of my closers
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
fast dogs wrote:When Hoffman & Fuentes sign, thats still only 13-14 sure things as to who's got the job. as sure of a thing as you can have with closers anyway. Could this be the wildest year yet as far as closers go? Many teams have several decent options while other teams have options but not good 1's. even after all the dust has settled and all the FA have signed this promises to be a volatile year in the closer game methinks. if you are 1 of those fantasy managers who never is able to be online in the closer of the day sweepstakes this might be a good year to grab 1 of the "nuff said" guys this year

good call...i am hoping to draft as late as possible and grab a Top 10 type and then take some chances late with the rest of my closers

Actually, I see it as all the more reason to avoid the Top 10 type (unless the Top 10 type is going in Round 9 or later). I've gotten burned too many times (most recently BJ Ryan in 2007) trying to grab a "sure thing" ace closer only to lose him to injury. Last year, I reached a little bit for Corpas in the 8th as my #1 closer and even that didn't work out, but it was a lot easier to recover from than losing Ryan - I finished 2nd in saves (and won my main league) with a LOT of work.

My plan this year is the same as last - grab one closer in the 8-10th round, one in the 11th-13th, and then draft 3-4 stud MRs who have strong prospects of closing (last year it was Broxton, Marmol, Accardo, Pena).
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:33 pm

From Rotoworld:
Jan. 5 - 9:36 am et
According to the St. Petersburg Times, manager Joe Maddon "still considers Troy Percival the closer" but "plans for a group effort when necessary to finish games."
The newspaper notes that Maddon "acknowledges they will have to wait to see how he recovers from back surgery and how often he will be available." Given how well Grant Balfour, Dan Wheeler and J.P. Howell pitched down the stretch, there's little reason for the Rays to be particularly patient with Percival the second time around.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers