2008 Draft Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2008 Draft Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2008 Draft Prospects

Postby rmande09 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I think there is a thread a little bit lower, but this is more of an "advice" topic than discussion. Though I am sure it could turn into a bit of a discussion.

I have the first and seventh overall draft picks in my league's Minors draft. It is just the players from the 2008 draft. My league values guys that are closer to the Majors over high school guys, though we certainly do have a spot for them (a guy like Tim Beckham would go probably in the middle of the 1st round). I'm not looking for pitchers too much.

For my first pick, I'm pretty much torn between Pedro Alvarez and Justin Smoak. I liked Alvarez a ton going into 2008, and though he got hurt and it really sapped his power and performance for the rest of the season, he is still, obviously, a top prospect. But I worry about how good he ends up, whether he sticks at 3B, and the Pirates anemic offense. Smoak also has a ton of upside. He can absolutely mash, has good fundamentals at the plate (solid BB and K numbers), and has big-time power. Plus, hitting in that stadium in that lineup is pretty attractive - Hamilton, Young, Davis, Kinsler, Cruz - that's some solid protection. But do I pass on him to take Alvarez, a guy with unlimited potential?

For the seventh pick, I am looking at the Beckham's, possibly (but unlikely Alonso), Posey, Hicks, Wallace. I doubt I would draft Tim Beckham or Aaron Hicks, simply because they are too far away and the talent that will hopefully still be available would be tough to pass on. I really like Buster Posey, but he'll probably be taken - plus, he has the San Francisco effect. Brett Wallace is another guy, but he's going to be very blocked because he cannot play anywhere except 1B. I am a huge fan of Gordon Beckham in Chi-Town - the ball flies out there, he's got some serious pop, and they're sticking him at 2B.

So what do you guys think?
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2008 Draft Prospects

Postby thomasps3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:36 pm

If oyu can grab Gordon Beckham with your 2nd pick, I would highly advise it. His bat is near majors ready, and if he does in fact play 2nd, that will only increase his value, although any MI position will suffice. Label me a GB bandwagon man!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby MaudDib » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:24 pm

I would go with Alveraz over Smoak. Both look like they can be all stars but Alveraz should be able to stay at 3B and is just a little better. With your next pick it will all depend on who gets there. I am not a big fan of Wallace or Alonso. If Gordon is there go for it but I wouldn't take him with your first pick. Then I would go Tim Beckham and then Eric Hosmer. Both are high school players but both have the talent to be top 25 players.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby San D » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:27 pm

With all things being equal, I would take Alvarez over Smoak. He K's a lot, but there was a time he was being looked at as one of the best hitting talents in a long time. Last year could be looked at as a lost year with the hamate injury. His upside is immense, and if you are someone who drafts minors on talent alone.....Alvarez is off the charts.

That said, things are not equal. Smoak got drafted by Texas rather than Pittsburgh. Due to this, I actually think he is a safer bet to be a 35 HR masher with good counting stats playing with good offensive players rather than Alvarez. So, due to team considerations, I believe Smoak is a better bet to reach a high upside since he plays in Texas and would go with him.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rmande09 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:37 pm

That's where my biggest issue lies. I just wish Alvarez was with a decent team - Pittsburgh is just terrible, and they are equally bad at bringing up their young talent.

I'm hoping to move the first pick in a package for a guy like Wieters, but I'm not too certain that's going to work out well. Do you think the first pick (essentially Alvarez or Smoak, or any other 2008 draftee) and Dexter Fowler for Matt Wieters is a good deal?
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby San D » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:29 am

rmande09 wrote:That's where my biggest issue lies. I just wish Alvarez was with a decent team - Pittsburgh is just terrible, and they are equally bad at bringing up their young talent.

I'm hoping to move the first pick in a package for a guy like Wieters, but I'm not too certain that's going to work out well. Do you think the first pick (essentially Alvarez or Smoak, or any other 2008 draftee) and Dexter Fowler for Matt Wieters is a good deal?

I would make that trade to acquire Wieters. He's the only minor leaguer I would do that trade for.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Minor League & College Baseball