Streaming pitchers during championship game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Streaming pitchers during championship game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Streaming pitchers during championship game

Postby 7Patrick13 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:03 pm

What is your opinion on streaming pitchers during the championship matchup? In my keeper league (im commish), the matchup degraded into this about a week into the two week matchup. I had been picking up a pitcher or two ahead of time, every day. Then my opponent punted Saves and Holds, dropping all relievers, and filling up his staff so he had 6 or 7 starters going. I countered by dropping my several players in my lineup, in order to keep pace in IP and Ks. I was winning all but one pitching category, and he was winning all but one hitting category.
In the end, I won a 10-10 tie, but it didn't feel right. Is there any way to prevent this? Like limiting the amount of starting pitchers you can pick up in a week, or start each day?
Is this normal for a championship matchup? I hadn't seen it happen before.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
7Patrick13
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Streaming pitchers during championship game

Postby fast dogs » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:23 pm

it happens all the time. once you get a feel for how the matchup is going thats how you play it.wasn't there streaming all year long? some leagues don't allow any any transactions once the matchup begins. if you appear to be losing era n whip, whats left but load up on K's & wins? you either have a special provision for the playoffs or you allow it. It will probably happen almost every year. I played in a 60 total transaction league & every year teams would save up about 15 transactions for the final. Seemed kinda odd to me to play 1 way all year then you get to the finals & it plays totally different
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby 7Patrick13 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:50 pm

fast dogs wrote:it happens all the time. once you get a feel for how the matchup is going thats how you play it.wasn't there streaming all year long? some leagues don't allow any any transactions once the matchup begins. if you appear to be losing era n whip, whats left but load up on K's & wins? you either have a special provision for the playoffs or you allow it. It will probably happen almost every year. I played in a 60 total transaction league & every year teams would save up about 15 transactions for the final. Seemed kinda odd to me to play 1 way all year then you get to the finals & it plays totally different

there was streaming before that, to some extent, but not to the point where every single SP that day was being used. The league has no transaction limit.
7Patrick13
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fast dogs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:22 am

I think thats how most h2h single seasons are going to end, at least when 1 teams era & whip appear to be winless. the team with the era/whip leads can choose to bench SP to protect those cats, the 1 behind should be able to pick up all the other SP to try & win K's & W's. unless you take steps to prevent this somehow(lock rosters after the 1st week maybe) I'd think streaming SP will be a nearly every year occurence. This is a very common problem in h2h leagues, often leading to arguments & managers leaving the league. Either put in special rules or expect this to happen alot. good luck
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 286)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:01 am

You need to either allow streaming or prohibit streaming. If you allow streaming than I don't see how you can than have a problem with it if it is taken to an extreme.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fighting Platypi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:10 pm

In all fairness, you began the streaming if you were "picking up a pitcher or two ahead of time, every day." Maybe if you hadn't been doing that, the other party would not have seen it necessary to pile on the SP themselves. The easiest way to prevent this next year might be to modify your own behaviour.

Sort it out in the pre-season though - either allow it all year or don't allow it. You should be able to set max innings pitched per week or set a max roster move for the season.

An underhand way of stopping it is to clear your roster as best you can then pick up SP's 2 or 3 days before they are set to start, keep them overnight, drop them and then repeat the process. All the SP's will end up on waivers and won't be able to be picked up for their starts. If you can convince others in your league to do this too, it totally kills streaming. It's dirty, but it works.

I don't mind streaming personally - in real life, baseball teams do funny things with their SP's in tight postseason games too!
Fighting Platypi
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:17 pm

i think streaming is a legitimate strategy and has its own upsides and downsides. i'm not a fan of not allowing it, but many people dislike it to the point where inning pitched caps are put in place to stop it. if you really want to stop it in playoffs, you can always just lock rosters going into the playoffs and not allow any adds/drops.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Once a SP is done for the year, there's no sense in keeping him on your roster in the playoffs. Streaming's inevitable in the playoffs unless you lock rosters or something. You have to do whatever it takes to win.

I've played in leagues where you can't replace guys during the playoffs unless they get injured, but I don't like that much. I don't see a problem with streaming, as I've said a million times, but if you want to stop it, you need to make rules before the season starts that discourage it, like innings limits, weekly start limits, etc.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:09 am

basically, if the settngs allow it, it should be fair game. just like being in a OBS or holds league, you draft/preapare you team daily/weekly depending on the set rules. I see no reason to be upset if the rules are equal for all teams.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Return to Commissioner's Corner