Proper roster size for 8-team league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Proper roster size for 8-team league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Proper roster size for 8-team league

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:15 pm

I have been commish of an 8-team 5-man keep for four years now. Right now the roster size is as follows:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF OF OF, UTIL UTIL UTIL

SP, SP, SP, RP RP RP P P P

There are seven bench slots. I want to increase roster sizes this year because I am bored with this league basically being a crap-shoot. What would be an optimal roster size to test the true knowledge of the players.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Proper roster size for 8-team league

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:21 am

I play in a small (7 team) family league. I think you need to decrease the bench size. One of the fun things about a small league is the FA pool is large so there are always quality FA's thus there are many transactions. By having 7 bench spots you likely decrease the # of transactions because everyone has a star studded bench.

If I were you I would decrease the UTIL hitters and decrease the bench players or eliminate the UTIL hitters and go with a MI, CI and 4 OF's while decreasing the # of bench players.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pjalst » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Hey, it's the under age dating guy :-D , Just busting your chops. I agree with the last post two post. With a large bench, owners won't have to search far for a replacement player. With the smaller bench, you force more transactions and force players to use their waiver priority to "snatch up" players. Also with a smaller bench, some owners are force to drop quality players so they can make roster space to add an injury replacement.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:50 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
Eagle Baseball wrote:I play in a small (7 team) family league. I think you need to decrease the bench size. One of the fun things about a small league is the FA pool is large so there are always quality FA's thus there are many transactions. By having 7 bench spots you likely decrease the # of transactions because everyone has a star studded bench.

If I were you I would decrease the UTIL hitters and decrease the bench players or eliminate the UTIL hitters and go with a MI, CI and 4 OF's while decreasing the # of bench players.

Agreed. If you insist ( :-D ) on playing smaller leagues like this, you gotta keep the benches small ;-D

It's not necessarily my insistence.....I am just friends with a lot of those "half-committed" type players. We've tried 12 and always end up finding at least two duds. I hate eight, but it's worked as far as contributors go.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby ayebatter » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:29 am

Drop your bench to 3, change your OF to LF/CF/RF, drop 2 Util spots, add MI/CI and limit the amount of transactions to 50 (not including trades).
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1275)

Return to Commissioner's Corner