MDC Experts Draft results - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MDC Experts Draft results

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby NorthSider2 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Funston likes his OFs :-)
Image
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 356
Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wrigley Field

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 am

Yoda wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:It's pretty clear that most of these people just use these drafts to reach on guys they want to hype up rather than creating an accurate picture of a carefully drafted roster.



I agree, they are reaching because it is a mock and nothing is on the line.
I rather look at someones money league draft than a mock draft.
Mock drafts have no repercussions while a money league draft does, and drafting EE that early will haunt most people.

Also its still early to be taking these mocks seriously.


Honestly I am really trying in the Cafe mock. I know that I can't make any moves so I'm treating it as a draft and hold type team. Whoever ends up with the best looking roster wins.


Same here. Provided I was also compiling my rankings at the same time, I really did some research into the picks I did and I guess I am hoping everyone else did the same. The discussion in the mock thread has been pretty informative overall and I don't see a ton of factors that will change the outlook of the first ten or so rounds at least.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby B-Chad » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:19 am

I got a good laugh out of this "Experts" draft (which is a shame, because I was not looking for comedy, but something of use). As others have stated, the Edwin Encarnacion pick takes the cake for absurd pick of the draft. I don't care if Funston has him projected to post 1st round type numbers, no one else on the planet other then Momma Encarnacion is of like thinking and he could have been had many rounds later.

I'm also baffled by a number of other picks. The first that jumps out to me is Jay Bruce at pick 6 round 6. I really like Bruce, and think his ceiling is very high, but since it is my understanding this is a 5x5 re-draft league I don't understand the rationale behind selecting him that high.

The next pick that jumps out to me is the selection immediately following Bruce, pick 7 round 6, Hunter Pence. I don't think it's a horrible pick, but I think that's pretty high for him in a re-draft league, that would make him the 67th player off the board, and I don't think his final stats will come close to warranting that selection.

Pick 8 round 6 is equalling perplexing to the two selections prior, Derek Jeter. He was the 4th SS off the board, following the big 3. I personally don't think he's the 4th best player at SS, but more importantly, no one else had selected a SS yet. With so many similar players such as Michael Young, J.J. Hardy, Stephen Drew and Jhonny Peralta available why start the run in the middle of round 6, that to me is absurd.

I could go on for days about the absurdity of some of the selections in this draft, but I'll just examine one more. Pick 11 Round 10, Matt Wieters. Really? Pick 119, a guy, who if I'm not mistaken, didn't have an at bat above AA last year? I love Wieters ceiling, but this is a re-draft league, and who's to say the O's won't bring in a veteran catcher so they can prolong starting the arbitration clock on Wieters. Am I crazy and did I miss something here, cause I just don't get it? To give you perspective, he was the 6th catcher off the board. Players that went behind him include Chris Iannetta, Jeff Clement (another high touted catcher who raked in AAA for goodness sakes and struggled in the Majors last year), Taylor Teagarden, Jorge Posada and others.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Wieters, and in keepers leagues, I will target him aggressively, but in re-draft leagues, I don't understand selecting him that high. Oh well, shame on the experts for putting together such a mockery of a mock draft.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2213
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:42 am

I think with Weiters its all about what his playing time will look like. If it appears he's the guy and will get 400+ ABs then I have him as my 5th or 6th catcher. But since we don't know what his PT looks like and if I were to draft today, I wouldn't take him as a top 10 catcher.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:25 am

mak1277 wrote:If someone in my league came out of their first three picks with Rollins/Pedroia/Youk....I would make sure they had paid their league fees up front. I don't like any of those guys in those rounds.

Yeah, even being a Sox fan I wouldn't want Pedroia and Youk in my top three picks. Rollins in the first I completely disagree with as well. He had a rough draft overall IMO. VMart and Ludwick in the 5th and 6th are risky picks as well. Could have made much better choices and let them fall elsewhere. No reason to overspend on VMart when Catcher has some later round options this year and I just don't believe in Ludwick. Especially not as a 6th rounder.

A few other observations:

Surprised by Lincecum falling to the third round.

Stephens' first three picks: A-Rod, Manny and Papi...if Papi is healthy and if Manny is happy, wow, what a top three: at least 110 HR and 330 RBI with 310 Runs to boot...

Love me some Shane Victorino, but ahead of Markakis?

Chris Young in round 11? :-t Would have much rather had Greinke or Baker who both went three rounds later

Konerko in the 16th is great value if he is healthy in '09

All three Texas catchers back to back to back in the last round... :-?
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:40 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:I just don't believe in Ludwick. Especially not as a 6th rounder.


I respect everyone's opinion on Ludwick, especially with his breakout season coming at the age of 29 and a lack of pedigree. However, I just have a feeling that Ludwick will repeat, or come very close to repeating, what he did last year. Generally, when I look at player like Ludwick who have out-of-nowhere breakout seasons, I always evaluate their statistics month-by-month, and pre vs. post all-star break. More often than not, the most prominent indicator of a 1-year wonder are statistics inflated by just a couple good months, or a booming first half followed by a poor second. That is why you won't see me draft someone like Nate McLouth - who had a torrid first half, but petered out during the stretch.

However, with Ludwick, he started strong and ended strong. Other than a semi-slump in June, Ludwick was consistent as one could be. He hit very well on the home and the road, versus LHP and RHP, and both before and after the all-star break. Such consistency , IMO, indicates a season that probably was not a fluke. But for those who will avoid him, I really can't blame you.
Image
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3852
(Past Year: 41)
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Michigan

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:58 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:I just don't believe in Ludwick. Especially not as a 6th rounder.


I respect everyone's opinion on Ludwick, especially with his breakout season coming at the age of 29 and a lack of pedigree. However, I just have a feeling that Ludwick will repeat, or come very close to repeating, what he did last year. Generally, when I look at player like Ludwick who have out-of-nowhere breakout seasons, I always evaluate their statistics month-by-month, and pre vs. post all-star break. More often than not, the most prominent indicator of a 1-year wonder are statistics inflated by just a couple good months, or a booming first half followed by a poor second. That is why you won't see me draft someone like Nate McLouth - who had a torrid first half, but petered out during the stretch.

However, with Ludwick, he started strong and ended strong. Other than a semi-slump in June, Ludwick was consistent as one could be. He hit very well on the home and the road, versus LHP and RHP, and both before and after the all-star break. Such consistency , IMO, indicates a season that probably was not a fluke. But for those who will avoid him, I really can't blame you.


As long as he's hitting behind Pujols, the opportunity to repeat last year's numbers will be there. I like him value-wise over Quentin this year, his friend from last year.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:00 pm

J35J wrote:I think with Weiters its all about what his playing time will look like. If it appears he's the guy and will get 400+ ABs then I have him as my 5th or 6th catcher. But since we don't know what his PT looks like and if I were to draft today, I wouldn't take him as a top 10 catcher.


Meh. I took him in the 17th round in the Cafe Mock, at a point where the rest of the catchers available were very average IMO. Regardless of the kind of league, taking him that late just means that if he's not quite ready at the beginning of the season I could find a temporary replacement until he is.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:17 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
J35J wrote:I think with Weiters its all about what his playing time will look like. If it appears he's the guy and will get 400+ ABs then I have him as my 5th or 6th catcher. But since we don't know what his PT looks like and if I were to draft today, I wouldn't take him as a top 10 catcher.


Meh. I took him in the 17th round in the Cafe Mock, at a point where the rest of the catchers available were very average IMO. Regardless of the kind of league, taking him that late just means that if he's not quite ready at the beginning of the season I could find a temporary replacement until he is.


I'm not sure what you are saying in regards to my post? But I agree, even if he spends a month down in the minors I'd still take him around where you got him there and just find a replacement until he comes up. I think he could easily come up and become the #1 catcher in the league....I won't project that or expect it right off but it wouldn't suprise me in the least either if it does happen.


Your av is terribly distracting by the way!! :-L
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 363)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MDC Experts Draft results

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:54 pm

I was half agreeing with you/half explaining why I took him where I did.

Lol, I seem to be entertaining the masses. Thank R&C, he made it a lot clearer than it was before. ;-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact