Yahoo vs ESPN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo vs ESPN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo vs ESPN

Postby JohnnyBenchBest Ever » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:01 pm

I wanted to get the opinion of the café before I decide between Yahoo or ESPN for my keeper league. My league has used Yahoo and ESPN for the last few years (currently ESPN) - we are not unhappy, but I was wondering what the Yahoo Plus format was like. Is it a good format for a keeper league? What kind of flexibility is there with scheduling – does it support divisions? What type of playoff setting do they offer?

I’d just want some feedback.
JohnnyBenchBest Ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo vs ESPN

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:16 pm

if you're willing to pay, i think cbs sportsline is the best. i've used it for a couple money leagues and love it.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:20 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:if you're willing to pay, i think cbs sportsline is the best. i've used it for a couple money leagues and love it.

agree ;-D
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:34 pm

does sportsline somehow allow importing of yahoo rankings? i wanted to try sportsline but didn't want to do rankings all over when yahoo leagues allow you to import and export between your leagues.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BigLebowski » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:01 pm

I've never tried EPSN, but CBS Sportsline is head and shoulders above Yahoo, especially in a keeper league. The rosters are saved from year to year and the other info you can display, is much better. We are in the 6th year of CBS and are completely happy in our money league.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby JohnnyBenchBest Ever » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:10 pm

what are the rules for position eligibilty?
JohnnyBenchBest Ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:12 pm

JohnnyBenchBest Ever wrote:what are the rules for position eligibilty?

pretty much everything is customizable including this. my leagues use 20 games played the previous season or 5 games played the current season. i think this is far superior to yahoo where only 5 games started are necessary to qualify.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:13 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:does sportsline somehow allow importing of yahoo rankings? i wanted to try sportsline but didn't want to do rankings all over when yahoo leagues allow you to import and export between your leagues.

i've never tried to do this as i've only played auction leagues on cbs. i would assume importing rankings is possible but i'm not really sure.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:08 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:does sportsline somehow allow importing of yahoo rankings? i wanted to try sportsline but didn't want to do rankings all over when yahoo leagues allow you to import and export between your leagues.

i've never tried to do this as i've only played auction leagues on cbs. i would assume importing rankings is possible but i'm not really sure.

Negative - this is one of the biggest drawbacks of CBS in my opinion, especially when switching from Yahoo. While their stats are much more comprehensive (and allow you to generate custom reports), there is no concept of a ranking that you can use to sort players. I'm certainly no fan of Yahoo's O-Rank, but an actual rank is quite useful. I tried to create my own custom "dollar value" stat that would effectively do this and it almost worked, but there were glitches that I never was able to work out.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

Negative - this is one of the biggest drawbacks of CBS in my opinion, especially when switching from Yahoo. While their stats are much more comprehensive (and allow you to generate custom reports), there is no concept of a ranking that you can use to sort players. I'm certainly no fan of Yahoo's O-Rank, but an actual rank is quite useful. I tried to create my own custom "dollar value" stat that would effectively do this and it almost worked, but there were glitches that I never was able to work out.

while it would add a bit of convenience, i actually kinda like that they don't have their own rankings... it actually forces me to look a bit deeper to find a free agent pick up rather than just picking up the highest ranked player. with all the stats they give you and the different time frames you can check, it makes it pretty easy to sort by most ABs to see which players have been getting the most playing time in the last week (or 2 weeks or month) and then go from there.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers