AJ Burnett to the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AJ Burnett to the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AJ Burnett to the Yankees

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:13 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3765754

Free agent right-hander A.J. Burnett has reached preliminary agreement on a five-year, $82.5 million contract with the New York Yankees, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

While Yankees general manager Brian Cashman and Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker are still negotiating final contract terms, the deal is expected to be complete once Burnett passes a physical exam, the source said.

I'll be interested to see how he does in New York.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AJ Burnett to the Yankees

Postby noseeum » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Now this deal I don't like as much as CC. I would have preferred two years of Sheets to 5 years of Burnett.

But hey, maybe we get that too if Pettitte decides not to sign!
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kraftwerk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Yankees constructing a very impresive looking rotation now.

a) Wonder if this means its 1 of Andy P or Sheets to finish things off, or is the rotatio now set?

b) Is there enough oney, and necessary interest to go for Teix?

I think it's been a very solid off season for the Yanks, cutting so much dead wood and bringing in SP upgrades. Although I do think Sheets > Burnett.
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby skjelstrom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm

I hate the Yankees...... Its not really fair that they can buy whatever players they want and not have any reason to hold back. They have so much money. Its retarded.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:23 pm

skjelstrom wrote:I hate the Yankees...... Its not really fair that they can buy whatever players they want and not have any reason to hold back. They have so much money. Its retarded.

Maybe you should direct your hatred to whatever team you follow that won't spend money. ;-D
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Noggy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:25 pm

noseeum wrote:Now this deal I don't like as much as CC. I would have preferred two years of Sheets to 5 years of Burnett.

I would have preferred Sheets as well, but if the medical reports from his injury at the end of last season weren't good, then what can you do?

I don't love the Burnett contract, but I'd much rather see this signing than giving Lowe what he was looking for. I think Burnett has a better chance of staying healthy than Lowe has of not getting lit up in the AL East.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kraftwerk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:26 pm

skjelstrom wrote:I hate the Yankees...... Its not really fair that they can buy whatever players they want and not have any reason to hold back. They have so much money. Its retarded.

Well, I dont like them either, but several points;

1) They arent the only ones throwing cash around.
2) They cut over $70mill/p.a. of mostly very poor contracts in the off season.
3) I have more distain for teams that refuse to open wallets and skim money from the game.

No Yankees, would be like no Cowboys...who the heck would I hate if they weren't the way they are :-? :-D
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby skjelstrom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:31 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:

Maybe you should direct your hatred to whatever team you follow that won't spend money. ;-D

Its not like my favorite team isn't spending, its just they don't have as much to spend. I think any team could be better than the Yankees if they all had the same amount of money as them. Even with all the money the Yankees still don't do that great. That's a sign of a bad team right there. They should give there wealth to a team worth using it.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:32 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:

That might be true, but it still doesn't change the fact that baseball has a competitive balance problem.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Yowza. I like Burnett but again as I said with CC, this deal might not look very good in a few years.

In another note, I'm in favor of contraction. Screw the teams that are not economically viable. Most of them have no money because no one goes to their games and they don't have a good product and their management suck.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers