Help me improve with text - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Contests and Showing Off

Help me improve with text

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

Help me improve with text

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:59 pm

so after taking a break from making sigs for awhile i made this one today for BP. its pretty simple, but i like how it turned out. my main problem is that i'm having difficulty (as usual) with where to place the text and what to do with it. I think the upper right turned out to be the best location as it was difficult to see text in the upper left (i tried a few different things but nothing really worked), and the bottom of the sig would cause text to cover part of the render. any suggestions on what i could do to improve it would be helpful. and comments on the sig as a whole are always appreciated, thanks.

i also tried some other stuff in the background but nothing really turned out as good as it looks just with the stadium alone
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me improve with text

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:18 pm

the problem i have with text in the upper portion of the sig is that it appears like its flowing. for this sig, i would have probably moved it down and had a fancy line or something underneath it, or maybe some very small text, or even some dots. i also find text hard so i try to keep it as simple and low-key as possible. generally it looks better that way to me. multiple layers will also help you bring out the text a good deal, as i dont think many people realize this. ive also stumbled across quite a few things by multiplying layers and changing some things with some of the layers. give it a whirl next time. try some overlaying, motion blurring, etc...you'd be surprised at what you come up with.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:30 am

A different (simple) technique, which I've used in several of my recent sigs is to select the text by holding CTL and clicking the text box in the layer window. Then under the Select menu, click Modify ---> Expand. Expand by 1 or 2 pixels. Add new layer. And Fill with a different color. This adds a nice outline around the text.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 pm

thanks for the tips guys, i'll try to incorporate it into my new sigs
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Return to Contests and Showing Off