Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:44 am

Getting the most money isn't always the best deal.

Sometimes skipping on offers, holding out for more backfires. Ask Jody Reed.

I'm more on the owners side myself. It's their business. They take the risks. It's not like pay $10 a hour in dangerous conditions. Boras may make his client more money, but he makes the player and himself look selfish. If it wasn't for fantasy, i probably would bag MLB. It's just not much fun anymore. The last 20 years has been about who can make the most. Before that, people talked baseball.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:What's his damn job? To get the best damn deal he can for his client. That's what he does, so don't expect me to shed any tears over the fact that he's able to negotiate an extra few million out of some billionaire owner who's sitting back and using his political power to force taxpayers to subsidize his stadium deal. BOO FRICKING HOO.


Yeah, but said agent doesn't give damn about his client. All the agent cares about is getting the best damn deal for his client so said AGENT can get more money out of the deal.

I'm not taking any sides here. Agents/players get greedy and ask for more money, owners foolishly cough it up, forcing them to raise stadium prices to afford the players, forcing the average joe to stay home more often because it's too damn expensive to take the family to a game.
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1617
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Playing on the Field of Dreams

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:13 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:What's the Antichrist's job? To destroy the world. He does his job, why should we get in his way?


Exactly, my friend. Live and let die.

Seriously, you're blaming someone for doing exactly what he's hired to do. If you were his client, you'd sue him if he did anything less. I've never understood baseball fans who side with the billionaire owners in these disputes. It's the most bizarre Stockholm Syndrome.

Er...not really what I was getting at.

It's stupid to try and bilk a team out of the most money possible, then they'd have less payroll room to sign other good players, and the player winds up on a team that can't plug other holes because it's spending $20 million on him. The team loses out on the deal because they're down on money and they don't win. The player loses out because he ends up on a team with unplugged holes. The fans lose out because of the aforementioned reasons. The only one who wins is Boras.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:43 am

chargerss24 wrote:
Yeah, but said agent doesn't give damn about his client. All the agent cares about is getting the best damn deal for his client so said AGENT can get more money out of the deal.

I'm not taking any sides here. Agents/players get greedy and ask for more money, owners foolishly cough it up, forcing them to raise stadium prices to afford the players, forcing the average joe to stay home more often because it's too damn expensive to take the family to a game.


Players aren't babies. They contract with the agent and tell him what they want. They don't like how that agent negotiates for them, and they can fire him.

Here's how I see it. Player works for years to become one of the tops in the world at what he does. Player works for below market salaries for close to a decade at the start of his career. Having luckily stayed healthy, he has a handful of opportunities to get a salary set by the market and recoup his inventment of time and effort through free agency. He ought to negotiate the best deal he can. I don't see that as greedy in any way.

And, again, basic economics. Ticket prices are set by supply and demand, not by player salaries.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:47 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Er...not really what I was getting at.

It's stupid to try and bilk a team out of the most money possible, then they'd have less payroll room to sign other good players, and the player winds up on a team that can't plug other holes because it's spending $20 million on him. The team loses out on the deal because they're down on money and they don't win. The player loses out because he ends up on a team with unplugged holes. The fans lose out because of the aforementioned reasons. The only one who wins is Boras.


There's no payroll cap in baseball. It's not a fixed number, so that if Player X gets more there is less to spend on Player Y.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 am

HOOTIE wrote:Getting the most money isn't always the best deal.

Sometimes skipping on offers, holding out for more backfires. Ask Jody Reed.

I'm more on the owners side myself. It's their business. They take the risks. It's not like pay $10 a hour in dangerous conditions. Boras may make his client more money, but he makes the player and himself look selfish. If it wasn't for fantasy, i probably would bag MLB. It's just not much fun anymore. The last 20 years has been about who can make the most. Before that, people talked baseball.


Well, I didn't say getting the most money was the best deal, and there are plenty of times where players and agents take a lower offer.

But, I'd dispute the idea that owners take risks. They are granted a monopoly franchise. They get humongous federal and state subsidies. Teams in the biggest markets are required to further subsidize small market teams. If you can't make money with a baseball franchise, you're a complete idiot.

As I said, I just don't see players being selfish. Maybe it's because I'm a little older than some of you, and I can remember back in Baltimore when the Orioles and Colts used to have to work as insurance agents and other jobs in the off season, because owners controlled salaries and there was no free agency. These guys work their butts off to become the tops in their profession. the system still requires them to accept salaries that are far below the revenue they generate for teams for close to a decade. And, if they have the good luck to stay healthy, they might get a handful of chances to get a contract to recoup that investment of time and effort, and recoup the years they worked below market. The owners, often guys who's main accomplishment was having the right parents, have all those advantages I've mentioned.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:23 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Er...not really what I was getting at.

It's stupid to try and bilk a team out of the most money possible, then they'd have less payroll room to sign other good players, and the player winds up on a team that can't plug other holes because it's spending $20 million on him. The team loses out on the deal because they're down on money and they don't win. The player loses out because he ends up on a team with unplugged holes. The fans lose out because of the aforementioned reasons. The only one who wins is Boras.


There's no payroll cap in baseball. It's not a fixed number, so that if Player X gets more there is less to spend on Player Y.

I'm aware. :-C :-° But if total payroll didn't matter, then why isn't every team within a stone's throw of the playoffs bidding for Teixeira or Manny? Why do teams care about cutting payroll? Hell, what's $10 million here and there? Why try to get rid of players like Castillo and Marquis? Why worry about the last few years of a CC contract? I mean, it won't matter if the Yankees pay $23 mil/year to some guy making 8 starts a year and spending the rest in an iron lung, since there's no payroll cap to worry about. Right?

;-7
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:46 am

Yeah, Boras is just doing his job. I've got no problem with him at all.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby thedude » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 am

I have no problem with Boras.

I do have a problem with team owners and politicians who use public funding to finance stadiums.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:25 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
I'm aware. :-C :-° But if total payroll didn't matter, then why isn't every team within a stone's throw of the playoffs bidding for Teixeira or Manny? Why do teams care about cutting payroll? Hell, what's $10 million here and there? Why try to get rid of players like Castillo and Marquis? Why worry about the last few years of a CC contract? I mean, it won't matter if the Yankees pay $23 mil/year to some guy making 8 starts a year and spending the rest in an iron lung, since there's no payroll cap to worry about. Right?

;-7


Payroll doesn't matter, because if the player you are seeking generates more revenue than he adds to payroll, then you make a profit. Why isn't every team bidding? Because some of them know he has no interest in going there. Because some of them know they can make a profit without trying to compete. Because some of them are not in a situation where they are competitive enough to generate the extra revenue to make it a good business decision. Because some teams have Pujols or Morneau or similar players.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Skin Blues and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Jul. 12
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Cleveland
(3:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Baltimore
(4:05 pm)
Atlanta at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at San Francisco
(4:05 pm)
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(4:10 pm)
indoors
Miami at NY Mets
(4:10 pm)
St. Louis at Milwaukee
(4:10 pm)
Boston at Houston
(4:10 pm)
Minnesota at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(7:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati
(7:15 pm)
Washington at Philadelphia
(7:15 pm)
LA Angels at Texas
(7:15 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Oakland at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact