Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby BUCCOFAN » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:17 pm

Damn I can't stand this guy, :-C He screwed around with the Pirates, during there selection of Alvarez. And he seems to manipulate every team, during negotiations. Is there a worse Agent in Sports then this guy? MLB would be so much better off, without this guy, wish teams could put a ban on him somehow.

According to Yahoo! Sports, two top executives with one of the teams chasing Mark Teixeira expressed frustration Thursday that it appeared the Boras camp was using the media to ratchet up the price beyond what any team had actually offered.
Always a smart plan. Teixeira reportedly has an eight-year, $160 million offer on the table from the Nats and perhaps seven years from the Orioles. The Yahoo! article goes on to say that Boras will likely request an opt-out clause as part of the Nationals' offer. That would allow Teixeira to leave after a set number of years, probably three, if he's not happy with the team's direction (or simply thinks he can make more money).
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scott Boras "Anti-Christ" of Baseball?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:21 pm

What's his damn job? To get the best damn deal he can for his client. That's what he does, so don't expect me to shed any tears over the fact that he's able to negotiate an extra few million out of some billionaire owner who's sitting back and using his political power to force taxpayers to subsidize his stadium deal. BOO FRICKING HOO.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:22 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:Damn I can't stand this guy, :-C He screwed around with the Pirates, during there selection of Alvarez. And he seems to manipulate every team, during negotiations. Is there a BETTER Agent in Sports then this guy? MLB would be so much better off, without this guy, wish teams could put a ban on him somehow.

Say what you will, but the guy gets his players the $$. Bad for the owners, but great for the players association.
Last edited by BronXBombers51 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:22 pm

Worst

Thread

Ever

/
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:30 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:What's his damn job? To get the best damn deal he can for his client. That's what he does, so don't expect me to shed any tears over the fact that he's able to negotiate an extra few million out of some billionaire owner who's sitting back and using his political power to force taxpayers to subsidize his stadium deal. BOO FRICKING HOO.

What's the Antichrist's job? To destroy the world. He does his job, why should we get in his way?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Drew Rosenhaus is easily more "hate-able" than Boras...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:22 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:What's the Antichrist's job? To destroy the world. He does his job, why should we get in his way?

Exactly, my friend. Live and let die.

Seriously, you're blaming someone for doing exactly what he's hired to do. If you were his client, you'd sue him if he did anything less. I've never understood baseball fans who side with the billionaire owners in these disputes. It's the most bizarre Stockholm Syndrome.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:32 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:What's the Antichrist's job? To destroy the world. He does his job, why should we get in his way?

Seriously, you're blaming someone for doing exactly what he's hired to do. If you were his client, you'd sue him if he did anything less. I've never understood baseball fans who side with the billionaire owners in these disputes. It's the most bizarre Stockholm Syndrome.

It's because fans have allegiances to teams, not players. And when an agent helps his player get a huge contract, that typically isn't good for the teams, in a few different ways. First, if the bidding is high, that person's favorite team might lose the opportunity to get that player due to budget restrictions. Or second, if the team does wind up signing that player to a huge contract, it can wind up crippling the team (see: A-Rod, Texas.) That's why agents are made out to be the bad guys. It's not right, but that's why.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby J35J » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:33 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

I'm not sure its siding with the owners people are doing....I don't think anyone is siding with anyone other than wishing the prices wouldn't be driven up like crazy to out price every team but the top couple. But I think thats a different topic all together.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 pm

Sorry, but I don't buy any of those arguments. Paying great players a few million more does not in any way hamper a billionaire owner's ability to field a competitive team. The Rangers sucked not because they could not afford good pitching to go with ARod, but because they spent reams of dollars on bad pitching. In the current world of rich owners subsidizing others through luxury taxes, there's no relevant budget restriction that prevents any team from paying market value and there's no crippling effect of paying superstars on team performance. Those excuses are convenient dodges for billionaire owners that do not want to put the effort into being competitive and prefer the easy profits of luxury tax subsidized mediocrity.

And prices have no connection to player salaries. They are set by demand and supply. There's a wealth of evidence on that, but there's also one simple test....college football. Salaries are zero, yet ticket prices are sky high.

Any smart baseball fan ought to kill for an owner willing to pay high salaries to great players. That's called trying to compete.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers