slow auction drafts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

slow auction drafts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

slow auction drafts?

Postby mkultra » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:49 am

How do people manage the first draft of a dynasty league? Since there's salary involved, I can't see any way around an auction, but we've got players all over the country. How do people manage to get it done? I understand the principle of running through a message board, but it's a ton of players. Do you just have to force people to be online at certain times?

TIA... :-)
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: slow auction drafts?

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:32 am

Get agreement on one night and do a live draft: http://fantasyauctioneer.com/
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkultra » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:41 am

Can you tell me anything about that site? It's offline until Feb...
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hochunk5 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:48 am

A one night auction is good, and i hear that fantasyauctioneer.com mentioned above is a solid site, although i have never used it myself. with this method it is quick, done in a night, and less work for you. You can run into 2 problems though...1. finding a time that everyone can be there. 2. If a team doesn't show up they end up with an absolutly terrible team, which can cause multiple problems for the league...especailly a dynasty league, i've seen it happen, and its not pretty.

I prefer a slow auction done on a message board...here's how i've done mine.
1. Create a thread for the auction.
2. Either decide whether the commish or each player will nominate players. Set a limit if managers nominate players...say they must have 3 players nominated at all times. When a player they nominated is won they may nominate a new one...this keeps managers involved and adds strategy.
3. set your salary cap, minimum starting bid, and minimum bid incriments, and start time. Make sure everyone knows the rules.
4. Start the auction by posting a topic in the auction thread. the title will be the players name and to bid you simply post reply's under the players name. A player is won when a bid stands for 24 hrs. That way you don't have people bidding at the last minute and you don't have to be online all the time, just once a day to check and post their bids. Most message boards will have a time listed of the posts, and messages with new posts go to the top of the thread, so it is easy to see if a bid has stood for 24 hrs.
5. when a player is won it might be a good idea to have a seperate players won thread and move the won player to that thread.

That is pretty much it...This way you can see if you have any inactive owners and replace them before their team turns to crap and makes it impossible to replace them, and you have more time to plan your team strategy. Plus it is fun to do for a few weeks and allows time for people to trade...especially if you are running your minor league draft a the same time. The downside of this method is that it is more work for the commish. You have to make sure nobody is bidding over budget, keep track of the rosters yourself, and imput them onto your league site when its over.

hope this is helpful.
hochunk5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:28 pm

mkultra wrote:Can you tell me anything about that site? It's offline until Feb...

I've used them for maybe half a dozen drafts and, other than the last time when they were the victim of a DNS attack, have had nothing but great results. They charge some fee (maybe $35 nowadays?) and you create your draft. You then send invites to everyone who will be participating and they (and this is key to avoid problems) is they accept the invite. Then you customize your draft with all the positions and bench spots; set everyone's auction budget; and assign keepers and keeper values.

Once the draft starts, people take turns putting people up for auction. Once they're for sale, there is a set amount of time that you decide (and can change mid-draft) to bid. There's a circular graph that ticks down and a woman's voice, "Going once, going twice" and if someone bids higher, the clock resets until noone has any higher bid to make. And then the player is assigned, the amount is deducted, and you move onto the next player. Here's a screen shot of what you see (or at least, one of the views that you can see) mid-draft. Since the draft is paused, there's no clock, but it would appear in the space where it says PAUSED and the text beneath it.

All in all, I think they're great and other than a live draft, would use them for everything.

Another suggestion, which is what we had to default to with Fantasyauctioneer's DNS attack, was creating a league on ESPN and holding your draft there. We still did our league on Sportsline but drafted on ESPN. Their free leagues give you the capability to do an auction draft. I'm not sure if they're going to carry that over for baseball this year, but don't see why they wouldn't.

It is a little bit of a pain to get everyone to commit to a time, but ultimately, it's less of a pain than dealing with a drawn-out slow draft.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkultra » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks for the input. So what you're saying is that there are multiple player auctions going on at the same time?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 pm

No; there's one player who is being auctioned at any given time.

There is an order (that doesn't really matter) that everyone in the league gets to nominate a player. So say the first player up nominates, or puts up on the auction block, Jake Peavy. And they set an initial bid of $15.

Now everyone has 8 or 10, or whatever you set it as, seconds to increase the bid on Peavy. You can do this either by typing in a bid if you want to jump it to say $25, or you can just click a button that is, "Current Bid + $1" and it will just go one increment over the current high. Every time someone new bids, the auction clock resets itself to give it another 8 or 10 or whatever seconds. When it finally gets to the point where nobody else wants to bid higher, and the auction clock counts down (which can be really excruciating if there's a player you really want and are just not sure if you can do that two extra dollars over your last bid), the system announces, "Sold!"

Once a player is sold, then it's the next person's in line to nominate the next player and the whole process begins again.

So at any given point, you're only bidding on one player. The players in the beginning generally take the longest as they're the ones who get bid the highest and people have lots of money to spend. By the very end, it basically becomes a snake draft because all anybody has left is the $1 minimum per player.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkultra » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks, I was more specifically wondering about hochunk5's comment regarding handling auctions in pools, but it's good to know there's a tipping point where people just start snake drafting $1 guys.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hochunk5 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:08 pm

yeah there would be multiple auctions going on at once. And yes there is a tipping point when people will put up and win players for $1...it usually is bench players and relievers. you know those guys that fill out the bottom of your roster and you will probably drop during the season anyways, when an unexpectedly productive player pops up the first month of the season.
hochunk5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 pm

it seems like most of the discussion here went towards a 1 night auction, if you've never done 1 before, be sure to set aside 5 hours give or takean hour. It takes a long, long time.Longer if most aren't used to the setup.Hint: have guys ready to nominate the next name seconds after the bidding closes on current player. The down time between picks can be a killer when you multiple it 300 times.Sometimes its done over 2 nights due to the length
In a slow auction there are many players up at the same time, and bidding continues till a bid hasn't been made on a player in a certain length of time. A slow auction could take 2-3 weeks depending on the size of the league. Thats the biggest drawback to auctions, no matter what type you use, it is a slow process. If a manager can't set aside 5-6 hours, he really isn't going to be able to play. Maybe you know all this, but its an entire different world than a snake draft. 1-2 managers who are lost or slow are really going to make the marathon even longer.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 261)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner