best pick to have in a draft? READ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

best pick to have in a draft? READ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

best pick to have in a draft? READ

Postby DaShadyOne » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:01 pm

what do you think the best pick in a draft is? if your in a 12 team league? I think number 4 this is why...because with number 4, you will get either Arod,Albert,Vlad or Soriano which I feel are the 4 top notch guys and almost everyone has those as the top 4 players, after those 4 I think the next few picks a a little more risky....Another reason is if your at number 4 you can see what people around you are drafting so you know when people start taking them closers or another postion quickly, you are close enough to jump in on a pick....WHAT YOUR FAVORITE PICK OR WHICH PICK IS THE BEST? AND WHY?
DaShadyOne
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Danks81 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:05 pm

I prefer one of the two "turns" whether it's the first or last pick. Obviously between the two I prefer #1. I think it is much easier to execute a drafting strategy when you pick twice in a row.

This being said, I am participating in more competitive leagues now where quite often the competition makes drafting strategies tougher to execute. I think in these tougher leagues it is better to have a pick such as the #4 for the reasons you described.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bost0n » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:26 pm

Definitely third because there is such a drop off after Soriano, Arod, and Pujols. I dont think anyone really touches those three.
cross your fingers for missouri
bost0n
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ebrage » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:08 pm

bost0n wrote:Definitely third because there is such a drop off after Soriano, Arod, and Pujols. I dont think anyone really touches those three.

What about Beltran?
ebrage

Friendliness: %

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:09 pm

i like around within the first 4, or last 4. basically, for the same reasons as above.
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby DaShadyOne » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:43 pm

come on guys this is important...I agree there is a drop off but not after 3 it's after 4 come on VLAD is sick, and he is on a lot of peoples list above soriano not mine cause soriano is a 2nd baseman but still...WHAT IS THE BEST PICK GUYS C0ME ON GIVE ME SOME INFO...
DaShadyOne
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Helton

Postby lifeform » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:17 pm

I'm picking 4th in my draft, and I'm taking Todd Helton over Vlad. Helton had 10 fewer HRs than Pujols last year, but other than that, their numbers were virtually identical.

Vlad is an excellent player, but like any player who switches leagues, there's a chance that his numbers take a hit in his first year.
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pochucker » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:34 pm

I prefer 4/5/6 , not because of the first round either. Although its nice to pick two in a row it can be long way between picks when run starts and your long way away.
Pochucker

Friendliness: %

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:34 pm

I like the 6th spot.

That leaves you with one of Arod, Pujols, Soriano, Vlad, Helton, or Beltran, and a decent pick in the 2nd round.
Free Bagel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Shogun » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:56 pm

I have gotten used to having consecutive picks or at least picks that are really close. Last year, I had predominantly 1st - 3rd picks...all random picks. Anyway, I picked 6 (out of 12) for the first time in a while this year and while I might not have gotten one of the big 3 (or 4), I felt my team was more balanced. I didn't have to wait too long when a 'run' on certain positions happened.

My main reasons for picking in the middle of the order :

1) Easier to pick a balanced team.

2) You don't have to wait any longer than 12 picks before you get another one.

3) Draft seems to move faster.

4) I feel it is easier to fill thin positions (e.g. 2B, C) because players like Boone/Renteria are going approx mid-2nd round.

There are probably a few more but I just cant think of them right now.

Good luck! B-)
Attack them when unprepared, make your move when they do not expect it. - Sun Tzu
Shogun
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers