Big deals on HDTVs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Big deals on HDTVs

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:22 pm

Lesson learned = Drink beer instead of coke ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:46 pm

I just saw a Philips at my brother in law's and it was pretty awesome. A lot of the scenes looked as if you are watching through a window.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:19 pm

Another question. Do any of you have your flat panel hanging on the wall? If so what do you do with the cables and power cord? Did you have to have a power outlet moved up behind the TV?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:50 pm

Best Buy has a pretty solid price on the Samsung LN46A650

B&H has some of the best prices on 46" right now, generally speaking (www.bhphotovideo.com)

i'm still indecisive myself with Circuit City going into liquidation.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:08 pm

RugbyD wrote:Best Buy has a pretty solid price on the Samsung LN46A650

B&H has some of the best prices on 46" right now, generally speaking (http://www.bhphotovideo.com)

i'm still indecisive myself with Circuit City going into liquidation.

B&H always has excellent prices...we bought my wifes Canon Rebel XTI fairly cheap from there and also just bought a HD Camcorder (Canon Vixia HG20) for about $200 less than Best Buy wanted for it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 am

Metroid wrote:Another question. Do any of you have your flat panel hanging on the wall? If so what do you do with the cables and power cord? Did you have to have a power outlet moved up behind the TV?

I ran everything in the wall. It can be expensive though, because you will mnost likely need a long HDMI cable.
There is two way to do it, and both can be DIY if you have any basic construction skills. The cheap, quick way is to cut two holes the size of an outlet, directly in line with each other, behind the TV and then at plug height. drop your cables and an extension cord down the top hole to the lower one, and hook up geak as normal. You can buy a cover for the bottom hole that has an open slot on it to run the wires through.
The second way, the one I did, requires more skill and longer, expensive, cables. Basically (running out of time, and thus details) you cut the hole behind where your TV will be, and drill a hole up into the wall cavity from below the floor. This only works if the room below the one you have your TV is unfinished or has a drop ceiling. You then fish the wires into the basement, and run them over to the next point where you have you equipment. You then fish them up to that point, plug em in, and enjoy. You can also do the reverse of this, if above the room is an attic, and then just run the cables down the walls. I only suggest extension cords to save the $200 or so price tag for an electrician, though wiring outlets isn't too hard either, if you have the experience.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:36 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:
Metroid wrote:Another question. Do any of you have your flat panel hanging on the wall? If so what do you do with the cables and power cord? Did you have to have a power outlet moved up behind the TV?

I ran everything in the wall. It can be expensive though, because you will mnost likely need a long HDMI cable.
There is two way to do it, and both can be DIY if you have any basic construction skills. The cheap, quick way is to cut two holes the size of an outlet, directly in line with each other, behind the TV and then at plug height. drop your cables and an extension cord down the top hole to the lower one, and hook up geak as normal. You can buy a cover for the bottom hole that has an open slot on it to run the wires through.
The second way, the one I did, requires more skill and longer, expensive, cables. Basically (running out of time, and thus details) you cut the hole behind where your TV will be, and drill a hole up into the wall cavity from below the floor. This only works if the room below the one you have your TV is unfinished or has a drop ceiling. You then fish the wires into the basement, and run them over to the next point where you have you equipment. You then fish them up to that point, plug em in, and enjoy. You can also do the reverse of this, if above the room is an attic, and then just run the cables down the walls. I only suggest extension cords to save the $200 or so price tag for an electrician, though wiring outlets isn't too hard either, if you have the experience.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can buy inexpensive cables at http://www.monoprice.com, they have HDMI cables for sub $10 and you can get the plating for the cords in the wall for a couple bucks.

Here is a DIY guide on how to do this btw. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=76427
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Phatferd wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can buy inexpensive cables at http://www.monoprice.com, they have HDMI cables for sub $10 and you can get the plating for the cords in the wall for a couple bucks.

Here is a DIY guide on how to do this btw. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=76427

Monoprice is awesome. My HDMI cable cost me like $7 with shipping as opposed to like $90 at Best Buy. If you buy any of the accessory type stuff at a retailer, you're getting ripped off.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can buy inexpensive cables at http://www.monoprice.com, they have HDMI cables for sub $10 and you can get the plating for the cords in the wall for a couple bucks.

Monoprice is awesome. My HDMI cable cost me like $7 with shipping as opposed to like $90 at Best Buy. If you buy any of the accessory type stuff at a retailer, you're getting ripped off.

yeah i had bought some stuff from Cablesforless dirt cheap but then Ferd mentioned Mono and it looks even cheaper...dont forsee needing any cables in the future but would definately check it out.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:16 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:

Right on man thanks for the info. ;-D ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk