Big deals on HDTVs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Big deals on HDTVs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Big deals on HDTVs

Postby Metroid » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:10 pm

I have a hard time when buying audio/video components because of my slight OCD. I'm not brand specific or a brand loyalist at all, just for some reason it bugs me to see different brand names on my shelf. Kinda sucks because I know that mixing and matching can be the best way to get the best quality and sometimes the better deal. I can ignore the differing brand names for the most part but color I cannot. Theres no way I could have a grey/silver receiver and a black DVD player, I just couldn't handle that. :-o
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DaShiz23 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:39 pm

Metroid wrote:I have a hard time when buying audio/video components because of my slight OCD. I'm not brand specific or a brand loyalist at all, just for some reason it bugs me to see different brand names on my shelf. Kinda sucks because I know that mixing and matching can be the best way to get the best quality and sometimes the better deal. I can ignore the differing brand names for the most part but color I cannot. Theres no way I could have a grey/silver receiver and a black DVD player, I just couldn't handle that. :-o

I hear you on that. I have OCD when it comes to being clean, especially in my media room. The carpets must have the vac lines, no fingerprints on anything, pillows just right on the couch, and computer desk completely straight and clean (The rest of the house, I'll let the wife deal with! :-D). All of my components do not match brand wise, but all are black, to go with the rest of the room's color scheme.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:56 pm

Curious what you guys think about Toshiba? I'm sure there's a reason they are cheaper but the pic quality doesn't look much different to me. What are brands to avoid? Is this one of them? :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Metroid wrote:Curious what you guys think about Toshiba? I'm sure there's a reason they are cheaper but the pic quality doesn't look much different to me. What are brands to avoid? Is this one of them? :-?

i have no facts to back this up, but i would say yes. its not considered a "top brand".

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:23 pm

Metroid wrote:Curious what you guys think about Toshiba? I'm sure there's a reason they are cheaper but the pic quality doesn't look much different to me. What are brands to avoid? Is this one of them? :-?

Personally, I haven't had a great experience with any Toshiba electronics, but my friends still recommend them. Not a fan, but don't take my word for it.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:43 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Personally, I haven't had a great experience with any Toshiba electronics, but my friends still recommend them. Not a fan, but don't take my word for it.

http://gizmodo.com/5108151/cheap-hdtv-battlemodo-the-best-sets-under-900

I have a 32" 720p Toshiba from about 2.5 years ago and I love the thing. It looks very good and I have had zero issues with it. Toshiba also makes some of the best notebooks on the market.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:00 pm

I've had a Toshiba laptop for quite a few years - I even spilled an entire beer in it about 10 months into having it. I needed 24 hours to dry, but turned on as good as new the next day!!

Don't know anything about their TV's, but I have no complaints with the notebook.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:43 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I even spilled an entire beer in it...

I've tested quite a few keyboards this way. Logitech cordless has passed a few times... :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:59 pm

Amazinz wrote:

I've tested quite a few keyboards this way. Logitech cordless has passed a few times... :-D

My Dell laptop failed the spill a Coke in it test about 4 years ago. It worked the next day, but all the keys were sticking. Then a couple months later, my hard drive corroded. It took me hours to get the hard drive out also, it was basically glued in there with sugar. :-°
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:20 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

My Dell laptop failed the spill a Coke in it test about 4 years ago. It worked the next day, but all the keys were sticking. Then a couple months later, my hard drive corroded. It took me hours to get the hard drive out also, it was basically glued in there with sugar. :-°

Yeah, my ex girlfriend played the spill a Coke test in my car with my power windows and locks several years back. They never worked right after. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk