100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Big deals on HDTVs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Big deals on HDTVs

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:22 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Do it right. Get the 1080p.

Why, though? I've read all over the place that nothing is broadcast in 1080p yet, and that if you are getting a TV smaller than 50" you can't see the difference anyway. And I don't have a Blu-Ray player.

But I do have an x-box...which is what is my concern right now.

My friend's 360 looks better on his 1080p than it does on my 720p. Blu Rays look better, and even if you don't have one now, you will in the future. Channels will be broadcast in 1080p before it is time for you to buy a new TV.

I'm generally just always of the opinion of if you're going to do something, don't go half way, do it correctly and for the long haul. This is a television you're going to have for quite some time, so you should want its capabilities to hold for as long as possible, even if they aren't being used currently. I think that saving yourself $100 right now is a long term mistake.

The difference is a lot more than a $100 bucks. At Best Buy a Panasonic - 42" 720p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV is on sale for $999.99 while the Panasonic - 42" 1080p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV is $1,499.99.....$500 bucks is a big difference.

Also a LG - 42" 720p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV is $899.99 while the LG - 42" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV is $1,199.99.

I know there are better deals on different models but even so the difference is often more than $100 bucks, especially for the models I'd consider buying.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:39 pm

bigh0rt wrote:My friend's 360 looks better on his 1080p than it does on my 720p. Blu Rays look better, and even if you don't have one now, you will in the future. Channels will be broadcast in 1080p before it is time for you to buy a new TV.

I'm generally just always of the opinion of if you're going to do something, don't go half way, do it correctly and for the long haul. This is a television you're going to have for quite some time, so you should want its capabilities to hold for as long as possible, even if they aren't being used currently. I think that saving yourself $100 right now is a long term mistake.

Yeah, these are all good points. I do assume I will get a Blu-Ray at some point, once it becomes the universally accepted format. Right now SD-DVD's still have the lion's share of the market, so I'm fine with my regular DVD's.

I also agree that if I'm going to do something, I should do it right, but unfortunately $$ is a concern right now. I honestly had no intention of buying a new TV as my HDTV 32" Samsung Tube is a fantastic TV that I am satisfied with. But I've been seeing some amazing prices, so I'm inclined to treat myself.

Metroid wrote:The difference is a lot more than a $100 bucks. At Best Buy a Panasonic - 42" 720p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV is on sale for $999.99 while the Panasonic - 42" 1080p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV is $1,499.99.....$500 bucks is a big difference.

Also a LG - 42" 720p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV is $899.99 while the LG - 42" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV is $1,199.99.

I know there are better deals on different models but even so the difference is often more than $100 bucks, especially for the models I'd consider buying.

On the other hand, I think these are some primo points. R&C noted that he got a 42" 720 Panasonic Viera on Black Friday for $550. I've seen it as low as $597 since, and I'm inclined to think I will see it again.

If I went for the Panasonic Viera 42" 1080p right now it would run me about $1,000 so we're looking at a difference of $400-450 which is a sizable difference. If the difference were truly $100 - I'd be all over the 1080p.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:20 pm

pokerplaya wrote:If I went for the Panasonic Viera 42" 1080p right now it would run me about $1,000 so we're looking at a difference of $400-450 which is a sizable difference. If the difference were truly $100 - I'd be all over the 1080p.

thats what i have and i got it for 899 quite a few months ago. my brother just recently bought the 720p version a couple days ago for 699 i believe. i havent seen the difference yet. he didnt plan on having an xbox or ps3, so i suggested to him to just get the 720. for $200 i would make the longer term investment to buy the 1080. for 200 i would, for 500 i wouldnt.

im with hort though. eventually you will own a blu-ray and eventually tv will be in 1080p. definitely before you're ready to buy another television in 8? years.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Well the gift card one of my clients had sent me was stolen presumably by someone at the USPS. Looks like all of this TV talk is moot.

Bah humbug. :-/
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:14 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Well the gift card one of my clients had sent me was stolen presumably by someone at the USPS. Looks like all of this TV talk is moot.

That's alright man. Just save up, and when you've reached your limit on price, look again -- they're only going to get cheaper. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:02 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Well the gift card one of my clients had sent me was stolen presumably by someone at the USPS. Looks like all of this TV talk is moot.

That's alright man. Just save up, and when you've reached your limit on price, look again -- they're only going to get cheaper. ;-D

Tis' true. Just frustrated. Nothing like mail fraud to give you the warm and fuzzy Christmas spirit. !+)

For what it's worth, I started to lean towards the 1080p today after listening to some of your posts and doing some more research, and with the economy as shaky as it is, it's probably not the best idea to be dropping upwards of 1k on a TV I technically don't need... ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:44 am

this talk makes me sick! I bought my 1080 Phillips two years ago for $1399!

BUT, I love it like no other. I own a PS3, Marantz 7.1 HDMI switching Reciever, and 6 Energy Conousier Bookshelves ( 6 1/2 driver with silk tweeter), Energy Conousier Center ( 2 6 1/2 drivers with silk tweet), and a DCM 12 inch Sub with built in 150 watt amp, that I replaced the driver with a JL 12W0 (similiar specs for enclosure). I do not see much out there that I would rather have, money being a factor.

I definetly advise going with a 1080 set, it may be difficult for some to see the difference, but once you own one, you will understand.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:35 am

Why does it make you sick? While you were enjoying your TV for the last two years, we are all watching it on our old inferior Tube sets. Isn't 2 years of enjoyment worth the difference in a few hundred bucks? ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:45 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Why does it make you sick? While you were enjoying your TV for the last two years, we are all watching it on our old inferior Tube sets. Isn't 2 years of enjoyment worth the difference in a few hundred bucks? ;-D

That's how I view it. It sucks now to see a TV I got 3 years ago for $1,599 for $799, but I've gotten 3 years service out of it so no complaints here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby jfg » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:55 am

The pain of being an early adopter. If I had the money to spend I'd definitely be the guy that needs to have the latest and greatest. It's more of a hobby than really wanting everything to look great. I'm that way with my audio stuff, always wanting to find upgrades and playing around with different equipment. Although, audio equipment is a little easier to bargain shop for because old stuff can be better than the new setups. It's rarely that way with video so it's a pretty costly hobby to be a videophile. I'll never be a person who can just set something up and leave it alone though, it's too fun to setup a system and swap things in and out.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk