post hype sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

post hype sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: post hype sleepers

Postby Aaronta77 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:02 am

I'm going to second Cow's opinion of McPherson, Nelson Cruz's name to the list. Both tore it up last year in AAA and both could be a late source of power in a fantasy line up this year.

A-
Aaronta77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 am

Maybin
Morales
A. Reyes
Clement
Antonelli
Barfield?
Kottaras
Teagarden
Rich Hill?
Gomes
Carrillo
M. Rogers

A few reaches, I know.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 am

Havok1517 wrote:Antonelli

I'd love if that were to happen. 2B prospects barely ever pan out, but I've always liked Antonelli quite a bit. He was a fantastic player at Wake, and tore up High-A and AA. If he competes for the starting job out of ST, I'd take a flier on him after such a horrendous 2008. Remember, last year he was unanimously the #1 2B prospect.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39 am

Fade2White12 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Antonelli

I'd love if that were to happen. 2B prospects barely ever pan out, but I've always liked Antonelli quite a bit. He was a fantastic player at Wake, and tore up High-A and AA. If he competes for the starting job out of ST, I'd take a flier on him after such a horrendous 2008. Remember, last year he was unanimously the #1 2B prospect.

I'm considering taking a flier in a 20-team league... but figure I can wait and see how he does in ST.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:49 am

Niffoc4 wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:I'm considering taking a flier in a 20-team league... but figure I can wait and see how he does in ST.

I'd assume he'd be drafted in a 20 teamer, as long as he's said to even be competing for the starting job. Who would he be competing with, Luis Rodriguez? :-P But I could be wrong.

I do think he could use some more time in AAA, although it is encouraging that he did OK the second half of his callup in September.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:I'm considering taking a flier in a 20-team league... but figure I can wait and see how he does in ST.

I'd assume he'd be drafted in a 20 teamer, as long as he's said to even be competing for the starting job. Who would he be competing with, Luis Rodriguez? :-P But I could be wrong.

I do think he could use some more time in AAA, although it is encouraging that he did OK the second half of his callup in September.

I thought Eckstein was starting at 2B anyway?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Zips is incredibly high on Nelson Cruz:
Nelson Cruz, 28 AGE, .282 AVG, .354 OBP, .531, SLG, 134 G, 471 AB, 78 R, 133 H, 22 2B, 1 3B, 31 HR, 92 RBI, 50 BB, 122 K, 14 SB, 6 CS, 128 OPS+

They put him up there with Hamilton pretty much. 8-o
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:I thought Eckstein was starting at 2B anyway?

I think that is still possible, but from what I've heard since they were unable to sign Vizquel, they might keep Eckstein at SS and start off with Rodriguez or EGon at 2B. I don't really follow the Padres though, so a fan of the team would probably have better insight. But just on talent, I think Antonelli could beat out either of those guys if that's who he has to deal with. If Eckstein sticks at 2B, Antonelli will probably spend the year in AAA.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:I thought Eckstein was starting at 2B anyway?

I think that is still possible, but from what I've heard since they were unable to sign Vizquel, they might keep Eckstein at SS and start off with Rodriguez or EGon at 2B. I don't really follow the Padres though, so a fan of the team would probably have better insight. But just on talent, I think Antonelli could beat out either of those guys if that's who he has to deal with. If Eckstein sticks at 2B, Antonelli will probably spend the year in AAA.

Excerpts from a Kevin Towers interview on Gaslamp Ball:
Antonelli will be in Triple A to start the year.
Eckstein is the starting 2b.
L. Rod and Egon will split time at SS and spelling Eck at 2b.
Travis Denker also has a shot at a bench job.
------

My opinion: The Padres tank and Antonelli gets significat AB after the AllStar break, but will be in AAA to start the year.
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:25 pm

It will depend on his performance as far as Antonelli is concerned. If he rakes like Headley did at AAA in 08 then he will get called up around mid June. Potentially earlier if the starters falter. My guess is that he will be up around ASB permanently.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers