post hype sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

post hype sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: post hype sleepers

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:26 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:choo should just marry an american citizen. if he's willing to shell out some money, a fake marriage can be arranged for a green card and eventually an american citizenship.

I'm sure the Cow would be up for it. ;-7 ;-)

does cleveland allow gay marriages? :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:36 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:choo should just marry an american citizen. if he's willing to shell out some money, a fake marriage can be arranged for a green card and eventually an american citizenship.

Becoming an American citizen is certainly an option. Not sure how long it would take for the whole process to happen. However, the last thing I read was that Choo had no interest in becoming an American citizen because he would have to give up his Korean citizenship and he wasn't willing to give up that privilege.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby wkelly91 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Many athlete's have served their countries and still had great careers...Ted Williams lost four years in his prime to serve in WWII.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Cow » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:04 pm

A gold in the WBC would get Choo out of his commitment. If Choo is in the WBC.

Anibal Sanchez could be solid, I don't think I would want him, but some would for very valid reasons.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:30 pm

The Cow wrote:A gold in the WBC would get Choo out of his commitment. If Choo is in the WBC.

This is not the case anymore. The Korean government no longer gives military exemptions to players in the WBC. The only chance Choo has of dodging military service by playing a tournament would be at the end of 2010 at the Asian Games and Korea needs to win the Gold.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am

obviously there are quite a few things he could do to avoid the service. it doesnt seem like hes all that interested in doing so. even if he won a metal, dont you think he just might do it anyway?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby neoforce » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 pm

For the right price I would put Colby Rasmus in this list.

Last year Rasmus was the consensus number 2 prospect behind Jay Bruce. Hype was sky high.

People usually overpay for the rookies, and last year Rasmus was so hyped that he was drafted way too high. I wonder if he might be worth a shot this year. He had an awful start last year, and the St. Louis outfield is crowded. But there are rumblings about trading Ankiel, and Rasmus clearly has talent and upside.

There is some interesting information from mlb.com to consider when looking at Rasmus. Note that I would never trust mlb.com ranking lists of prospects for their true value, but they are good source of hype information, what the masses think of prospects.

At http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb it shows that mlb.com ranked Rasmus at #10, and the fans they polled ranked him at #8.

Rasmus may actually be worth a late round flyer this year.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:15 pm

Deep Sleeper, who all the hype died for a year or two ago: Felipe Lopez. He was useful in a good hitting environment in Cincy, now he's in Arizona.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby B-Chad » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm gonna try and get this thread kicking again. Good topic, so here goes nothing.

Manny Parra: How about Manny Parra? I believe he was the 3rd ranked prospect in the Brewers organization going into last season according to Baseball America. He had a nice season and is certainly on people's radars, but I would argue he should be higher on people's radars and could certainly outperform his draft position. He's a groundball power pitcher, great combo. He struck out 147 hitters in 166 innings last year. He had an xera of 3.17 in the 2nd half last year (a polar opposite of his actual 2nd half ERA: 4.88). As Shandler says, if he finds and outpitch against righties, he could be lights out (think about what finding an outpitch did this year for Danks).

Brandon McCarthy: Not a big fan personally, but speaking of Danks, this guy was the prime trade chip from the White Sox. He's been injured the better part of the last few years, but this guy was once quite highly thought of and is still only 25. Obviously his fly ball tendencies will get him killed in Texas, but if he's able to re-capture some of the talent that made him a hyped prospect in the White Sox organization, maybe he'll be serviceable in deep deep leagues, the Rangers certainly need pitching.

Jeremy Bonderman: Missed most of last season. His '06 dom was pretty impressive, and his stats that year were very good. He's 26, and will likely be overlooked on draft day. Call me crazy, but if he's healthy I think he can be quite useful in 2009 and beyond.

Craig Hansen: I can't believe I'm including him, but I suppose I'm doing it because of my view of a post hype sleeper. I view a post hype sleeper as someone who is either completely written off and displayed worlds of talent, or someone who has world's of talent but people have lost site of their ceiling (Parra being an example of that type of player). Craig Hansen was drafted as a sure thing rush through the minors college closer who should make the quick transition to the Majors. Didn't happen. His control has been awful, but he's on the Pirates. They acquired him in the Bay deal, and I'm sure will give him every opportunity to pull his control together and be a contributor. Call me crazy, but if Hansen shows any signs of being a competent end of the bullpen arm, I think the Pirates need to strongly consider dealing Capps, and could do just that. Yes Capps is young, but the Pirates are rebuilding and could use lots of young players, so what better trade chip then a young reliable closer to dangle to a team in need of bullpen help? Just a thought.

Hopefully this topic will pick up, because I feel as if post hype sleepers are amongst the most important players drafted or added to fantasy championship teams.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:42 pm

Ladies and gentlemen your newest post hype sleeper...........

Cincinnati Reds (starting?) LF Jonny Gomes!

Hooray!
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers