post hype sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

post hype sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

post hype sleepers

Postby Yoda » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Wanted to open up some discussions on past elite prospects who have yet to fulfill their promise. What are your thoughts on some of these players for 09?

Felix Hernandez
Clay Buchholz
Homer Bailey
Andrew Miller
Phil Hughes
Yovanni Gallardo
Johnny Cueto
Jered Weaver
--------------------
Alex Gordon
Justin Upton
Billy Butler
Jeremy Hermida
Ricky Weeks
Delmon Young
Adam Jones
Lastings Milledge
Andy LaRoche
Josh Fields
Elijah Dukes

Feel free to add to the list.
Last edited by Yoda on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: post hype sleepers

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:09 pm

I still think Gallardo falls into this discussion. I like him, but he's going way too early this year given he has only really had 1/2 season of proven production.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Great Yoda now you are just going to start the hype for all these guys again. :-D

I like most of the names on your list there. Ones I like more than others are:

Felix: Love the guys who K a bunch while still maintaining a high GB rate. Increase in walks is a slight worry though. Still I :-L when I think about his potential.
Gordon: Think he takes another step forward and we see a type of season like the production he had post ASB.
Milledge: Turned it on the 2nd half and should be a cheap 20/20.
Upton: I am a Dback fan so it might be the homer in me talking, but just looking at him he just looks special. Not even sure what to predict here as I could see anything happening. Him absolutely exploding wouldn't shock me at all. Needs to cut down on the K's.

Still a lot of talent in those names on that list. Also like the Gallardo mention. Just glad I get to keep him in the last round.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Felix will absolutely outproduce his draft position this year. He's still only 23 years old and has improved every year. 8-o 8-o
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Felix (not sure how low he'll fall, so he could still be drafted high)
Adam Jones
Butler
Buchholz
Gallardo
Are the guys I like from that group. They seemed to do ok at the major league level, but injuries and/or demotions got in the way.
I'm afraid Andy LaRoche is beginning to fall in that mythical quad-A category.

what about Towles? He was miserable last year, but who else can catch for the Astros? May not be a 12 team option, but could have some value if his avg doesn't totally suck and he gets double-digit steals and HRs.
In a similar vein is Chin-Lung Hu (If he gets the starting job).
Whoever starts in Chicago (Fields or Betemit) could have decent value for a low-price
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Yoda wrote:Wanted to open up some discussions on past elite prospects who have yet to fulfill their promise. What are your thoughts on some of these players for 09?

Felix Hernandez ;-D ;-D Targeting him this year in all my drafts.
Clay Buchholz :-? Really hope he can rebound this year and that the Sox let him develop
Homer Bailey :-t
Andrew Miller
Phil Hughes ;-D If healthy, I think he has a nice year
Alex Gordon
Justin Upton ;-D Lot of potential here...
Billy Butler :-? If he's still available late in drafts, I will pick him up for my bench and see what happens. No expectations otherwise...
Jeremy Hermida
Ricky Weeks %-6 :-P Never, ever, ever again will Weeks have a spot on one of my teams.
Delmon Young
Adam Jones ;-D 20-20 season?
Lastings Milledge ;-D 20-30?? Probably not 20 HR, but would be very happy with him as a UT player or #3 outfielder if he can get close to those numbers.
Andy LaRoche
Josh Fields

Feel free to add to the list.

Of this list I like Felix for a solid season and will go after Jones and Milledge in my money leagues. Both are guys you should not have to draft early and who have the ability to post double digit numbers in HR and SB. Nice list so far.

I would also add Elijah Dukes and Jered Weaver possibly...

Also curious to see what everyone thinks about Cueto for '09....
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:42 pm

Justin Upton and the Nationals outfielders (Dukes/Milledge) definitely are on my radar for outfielders.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby San D » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:53 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Also curious to see what everyone thinks about Cueto for '09....

I could see Cueto with a late 1.30's WHIP, a 3.90ish ERA, 180-190 IP and K's, and 12-14 wins provided that Baker didn't mess up his arm at the end of last season pitching him around elbow problems. I like him, but there is a lot of risk with him, so I'll look for him late and hope he drops.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kab21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:03 pm

Felix Hernandez - he's not like the others. He's been pretty good. I'm not sure about this year if he has his typical high WHIP with Seattle's hopeless offense (low W's possibly). I'll still take him though. I think his ADP seems to be a little lower than I expect.
Clay Buchholz - I think he's worth a shot at his draft position
Homer Bailey - not high on him
Andrew Miller - not high on him
Phil Hughes - I like him less than Buchholz, more than Bailey and Miller
Yovanni Gallardo - I think the hype is still pretty high on Gallardo, but I think he's good also
Johnny Cueto - great arm, I'll take a shot at him, but has some factors against him, FB rate and GABP
Jered Weaver - is he supposed to have upside significantly above what he has done the last couple of years? '06 was a fluke. Nice, but not great pitcher
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Felix Hernandez <--- New non-spastic pitching coach could do wonders. Not particularly a sleeper.
Clay Buchholz <---- If he can adjust to his new arm slot = big profits. IF. After seeing Boston pitching staff help Beckett 06-07 very possible.
Homer Bailey <--- Oh hell no. Even his yahoo picture is douchey.
Andrew Miller <---- HRs allowed was quite good, but control sucked. Unless he has a revelation is maybe another year from being a reliable SP.
Phil Hughes <----- Health? If you can find a positive report on his health, he could be sweet for stuff all investment.
Yovanni Gallardo <---- Health and rustiness. Everyone loves him so he might not be very cheap.
Johnny Cueto <--- Sleeper. Some people would have been turned off by 4.81/1.41 + Dusty Baker.
Jered Weaver <---- Underachiever. Definitely post-hype but what adjustments does he need to make it big?
--------------------
Alex Gordon <---- At home vs RHP = ;-D. At lot of people have expressed disappointment/disgust with him, lowering his price. Could be ripe for the picking.
Justin Upton <---- He's getting it. Power + walks. Sleeper.
Billy Butler <--- Reasonable 2nd half, but his power has to catch up for you to have him as a 1b/Util.
Jeremy Hermida <--- Underachiever. .584 OPS in '08 at home? Wat? What is in Florida that distracts him? Booze? Poontang? Messy divorce? Could be worth something if you can get him for nothing.
Ricky Weeks <---- Frustrating. At least he has the starting gig for now.
Delmon Young <---- No thanks. Ron Gardenhire's starting outfield doesn't include him and neither should yours.
Adam Jones <--- A long way away from becoming anything. Plate discipline was awful, and no HRs vs LHP in 121 ABs?
Lastings Milledge <--- Nice 2nd half ;-D Learned something? :-?
Andy LaRoche <--- I don't understand. Full-time gig = .476 OPS? Starting job is always worth something, and price will be low, low low.
Josh Fields <--- All over the place. 33 total HRs in 2007 is a good sign though.
Elijah Dukes <--- Despite injuries really kicked on. A full season with this new drive/attitude = :-L
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers