Need some auction keeper advice! Please help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Need some auction keeper advice! Please help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need some auction keeper advice! Please help!

Postby rabidgiantsfan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm entering the second year of a 5 year auction keeper league. 14 teams, 5x5 (AVG, HR, R, RBI, SB/W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP). Salaries increase by $3 every year with a $270 cap for 27 roster spots (C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, MI, CI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, U, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, B, B, B, B, B). Here are my options for 2009 with their values for the upcoming season. All feedback and comments greatly appreciated.

C McCann, B $16
1B Jackson, C $4 (also OF eligibility)
2B Lopez, J $4 (also 1B eligibility)
SS Furcal, R $10
3B Sandoval, P $10 (also has 1B and C eligibility)
MI
CI Youkilis, K $13 (1B and 3B eligibility)
OF Braun, R $37
OF Kemp, M $18
OF Bruce, J $10
OF Upton, J $8
OF Quentin, C $4
U
Weiters, M $10
Butler, B $6

Lincecum, T $18
Price, D $10
Arredondo, J $10
Scherzer, M $10
Marmol, C $7
Jimenez, U $6
Wilson, B $6
Jurrjens, J $4

I need to finalize this list soon. Thanks in advance!
rabidgiantsfan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need some auction keeper advice! Please help!

Postby stevethumb » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:21 am

rabidgiantsfan wrote:I'm entering the second year of a 5 year auction keeper league. 14 teams, 5x5 (AVG, HR, R, RBI, SB/W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP). Salaries increase by $3 every year with a $270 cap for 27 roster spots (C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, MI, CI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, U, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, B, B, B, B, B). Here are my options for 2009 with their values for the upcoming season. All feedback and comments greatly appreciated.

C McCann, B $16-----------------------------------------keeper
1B Jackson, C $4 (also OF eligibility)------------------keeper
2B Lopez, J $4 (also 1B eligibility)---------------------cut
SS Furcal, R $10------------------------------------------keeper
3B Sandoval, P $10 (also has 1B and C eligibility)----cut (your league isnt deep enough to keep him)
MI
CI Youkilis, K $13 (1B and 3B eligibility)---------------keeper
OF Braun, R $37------------------------------------------keeper
OF Kemp, M $18------------------------------------------keeper
OF Bruce, J $10-------------------------------------------keeper
OF Upton, J $8--------------------------------------------cut
OF Quentin, C $4-----------------------------------------keeper
U
Weiters, M $10-------------------------------------------if he starts the season in the minors does his $10 count against your budget ?
Butler, B $6-----------------------------------------------cut

Lincecum, T $18-----------------------------------------keeper
Price, D $10----------------------------------------------close call (probably yes)
Arredondo, J $10----------------------------------------cut
Scherzer, M $10-----------------------------------------close call (probably yes)
Marmol, C $7--------------------------------------------keeper
Jimenez, U $6-------------------------------------------cut
Wilson, B $6---------------------------------------------close call (probably yes)
Jurrjens, J $4-------------------------------------------close call (probably yes)

I need to finalize this list soon. Thanks in advance!

that's $137 for 10 players, leaving $133 for 17 depending on the wieters situation and how you handle the close calls..i think the built in value of lincecum's contract allows you to keep price and scherzer...wilson and juirjens should earn their contract price..IF you kee'em all that's $167 for 14 players leaving $103 for 13..is that enough in your league to fill in your holes ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby rabidgiantsfan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:04 am

Great input Steve. Unfortunately Wieters will be $10 for 2009 whether he's in the majors or minors. Do you see him coming up and producing enough in 09 to make him worth it? If he comes up midway through the year and starts hitting, I would be able to trade McCann for whatever need arises at that time. If I keep the 10 definite keepers along with Wilson, Jurrjens, Price, & Scherzer that would leave me with open positions at 2B, 3B, OF, MI, and U along with 3 pitcher spots and 5 bench spots. I was planning on filling the bench spots and 2 of the 3 open pitching spots with $1 players from the 09 auction which would leave me with $96 to fill the remaining 6 open spots. That would allow me a great deal of flexibility to go after one more very good starting pitcher (Haren, Hamels, Webb, Halladay, & Lackey all went between $18-25 last year), so assuming I spend around $20 on a starter I would have $76 left to address 2B, 3B, MI, OF & U. I could grab a Hanley Ramirez/Jose Reyes type for probably around $42 (if they are released) or Rollins for around $28-30 (he will be available) and have enough left over for another very good bat. Rollins at $30 would leave me with $46 left to fill 2B, 3B, OF, & U. I could go with a premium player (Tex, Howard, Holliday, Sizemore, Wright, M Cabrera) and fill in some solid but not "sexy" players which could look something like the following

C McCann, B $16
1B Jackson, C $4 (also OF eligibility)
2B PLAYER, $1
SS Furcal, R $10
3B WRIGHT, D $43
MI ROLLINS, J $30
CI Youkilis, K $13 (1B and 3B eligibility)
OF Braun, R $37
OF Kemp, M $18
OF Bruce, J $10
OF Quentin, C $4
OF PLAYER $1
U PLAYER $1

HAREN, D $20
Lincecum, T $18
Price, D $10
Scherzer, M $10
Marmol, C $7
Wilson, B $6
Jurrjens, J $4
P $1
P $1
5 BENCH SPOTS AT $1 EACH

I love the potential of J Upton and Weiters although they do have some cost associated with them. Which do you think will contibute more in 09 (I'm thinking Upton who should be playing all year) and who is the better long term prospect if I decide to keep one of them for the next four years?

Thanks for the advice, your continued feedback is appreciated.
rabidgiantsfan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby stevethumb » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:24 pm

i think you have a realistic plan and strategy...i like wieters longterm more than upton..don't be afraid to go the xtra dollar or two for a star at auction...if your season tanks, that star can be a great a trade chip for 2010 and beyond prospects..it's better to have dwright at $44 than eencarnacion and kkouzamanoff equaling $44
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby DGeezie9 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:21 pm

C McCann
C Youkilis
2 Lopez
SS
M
OF Bruan
OF Bruce
OF Quentin
OF Kemp
OF
U

P Lincecum
P Price
P Arredondo
P Marmol
P Wilson
P Scherzer
P
P
P
I like your chances. The roster I set up gives you 13 keepers with good balance. This gives you $107 in the auction, pretty much $12 per player. My strategy in auction leagues are to usually too never keep high priced talent and Braun is borderline, but I think he's worth it unless you would rather save the cash and go for Jackson at $4 and save the $33. With Bruan your OF is set. There are always late OF's cheap, unless you like Upton as a longterm keeper for $8. McCann is an automatic kepper at $16. Your solid at COR with Youkilis undervalued at $13. Lopez is the same at M. Your lookin' good at closers going in with 3, but you might wanna take a shot at another if the price is right. Then you can stack up the save lead and trade one mid season for help somewhere else. I would say spend your money on speed and starting pitching depth.
DGeezie9
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team