Chase Utley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chase Utley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chase Utley

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:46 pm

What is everyone's take on how long he'll be out? Supposedly (unless I heard wrong), Utley was injured halfway through the season but was still able to put up decent numbers (although most came before the injury). Think he'll be able to produce this season after surgery?
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chase Utley

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:16 pm

There is some discussion on Utley on this thread. Link

At this point, it's tough to determined exactly when Utley will be back in action. The problem is that he'll likely miss some time, maybe 2 months, maybe half of the season, and that will seriously lower his value for 09. Another concern is that how well he'll play when he comes back. I think it's unrealistic to expect Utley to come back from surgery and be in mid-season form. His value for keeper leagues doesn't change too much though because he'll be a stud in 2010.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby kab21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:59 pm

My concern on Utley isn't so much his initial return, but rather the long-term effects of this injury. From what I've understood there is a long track of athletes that have similar injuries (good or bad) and their long-term health. For some reason I regard a hip injury as a condition that is degenerative over time. at least compared to an injury like a torn ligament or a broken bone. Maybe I'm wrong but regardless I'm not paying a premium for Utley in keeper/dynasty leagues assuming that he'll comeback at full strength by end of 2009.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 pm

FWIW

Sportsline wrote:News: All-Star second baseman Chase Utley said Monday he is recovering well from hip surgery and hopes to be ready for opening day. Utley walked into his news conference with an exaggerated limp, but said he hoped to be ready for the start of the season April 5. "I'm feeling good," said Utley, whose right hip was operated Nov. 24. "I don't see any reason why I won't be ready for the start of the season barring any setbacks." His next evaluation is scheduled to take place in about a month. "I'm young and I think it was the best course of action," he said. "It's a problem that I've probably had for a long time. I don't play soft and I think it worked out pretty well."
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DbacksRback » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:09 pm

I watched a news conference with him the other day and he made it seem like he could be back around the middle of ST which would be great

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks for the updates!
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guzman24 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Not really an update but I figured I'd post the actual article:

Posted on Tue, Dec. 16, 2008

Three weeks after hip surgery, Utley optimistic he will be with Phillies for Opening Day
By PAUL HAGEN
Philadelphia Daily News

hagenp@phillynews.com

CHASE UTLEY limped badly as he walked into the interview room in the basement of Citizens Bank Park. Just kidding, everybody. LOL. Utley grinned as he continued to stride, normally now, to the podium.
Three weeks after hip surgery that once seemed to cast a shadow over the Phillies' championship defense long before it even began, the All-Star second baseman was in a playful mood that probably conveyed his feelings more accurately than his words.

The headline: He expects to be ready to play by the time the Phils open the season April 5 at home against the Atlanta Braves.

Some early reports suggested he could miss the first 2 months. The team had seemed prepared to do without him until May 1.

"Things are progressing well," said Utley, who had surgery Nov. 24. "I don't expect any setbacks. If there are no setbacks, I expect to be ready to go. I would like to [play in spring-training games], absolutely. We'll just have to see how it goes. The most important thing is to be healthy."

Head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan offered only a mild precaution.

"The things they warned us about was not to try to do too much early on," he said. "The strength stuff and the motion part starts around 6 weeks. If we can get to that point without a whole lot of trouble, I think we're in good shape. After the 6-week period, we'll have a lot better idea of how aggressive we can be. It's a fine line between being aggressive and being stupid, for lack of a better word.

"We're 3 weeks out, so it's still early. But we had a followup with his physician last week, which went very well. So certainly right now, I'm as optimistic as Chase is that, as long as things continue to progress, he'll be fine."

A week ago, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. was at the winter meetings in Las Vegas, reportedly pursuing a trade for Mark DeRosa or a free-agent signing of Nick Punto as a hedge against the possibility that Utley might miss significant early playing time.

Yesterday, Amaro said that while he always tries to add depth, it was no longer a pressing matter.

"We feel pretty comfortable we have it covered," he said, "[Jason] Donald emerging as a pretty darn good player and the fact that we have [Eric] Bruntlett on our club. We're always trying to add depth. If we can do that, it would be great. But we feel pretty comfortable with our coverage with Donald and Bruntlett."

After a torrid start, Utley's offensive numbers fell off sharply after the first 2 months, just about the time he began to feel discomfort. Through June 2, he batted .320 with 21 homers and 52 RBI in 225 at-bats. From then until the end of the season, he batted .275 with 12 homers and 52 RBI in 382 at-bats. But he said it wasn't actually pain that was the problem.

"It wasn't right. I knew something wasn't right for a while," he said. "I didn't know how bad it was until we actually had it examined. This game is a game of adjustments. If something's not right, you want to try to make an adjustment. It probably got me in some bad habits."
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby denicola_dominates » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:34 pm

hell be back by the time the seasn starts the phillies need him as the defending world champions to maintain their beast offense and considering hes a pure superstar in the middle of the lineup hes irreplaceable as a starter ;-D
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby silverZ » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:16 pm

any updates on how his rehab is going?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Sportsline wrote:Chase Utley, 2B PHI
News: Phillies 2B Chase Utley says his rehab from hip surgery is on schedule, and the Phillies second baseman expects to be ready by opening day. Utley, who underwent right hip surgery Nov. 24, said Saturday he is just weeks away from starting to swing a bat. "In two to three weeks - that would be nice," Utley said. "If everything goes as planned, that's what we want to do. And right now, we're on schedule." The three-time All-Star stayed in Philadelphia during the offseason and turned the ballpark into his office. Utley works out with the Phillies training staff five days a week and hopes to be ready when the season starts April 5 against the Atlanta Braves. "It's about listening to my body. Right now, we are listening and it's responding well," Utley said. "If that continues to happen, then I don't see why I won't be ready for opening day."
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates