Delmon Young not in Twins OF plans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Delmon Young not in Twins OF plans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Delmon Young not in Twins OF plans

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:11 pm

Minnesota Puckett wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
kab21 wrote:I can sleep at night knowing that the Twins got Liriano and Joe Nathan for AJ Pierzynski.

:-C

I am a happy man with this thought too!! ;-D

I have no problem putting Delmon on the bench for a season or so. I love Spann and delmon is still very young. Weve got time with him and no need to rush.

If you put him on the bench you will have more problems than you can ask for. That guy would be a terrible distraction on the locker room if he were only playing part time or just DH'ing. There is a reason the Rays got rid of him and his "massive talent"
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kemper5 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:01 am

23 years old now , just 2 years ago he had 93 RBI, 186 hits and a .288 Ave at a very very young age..In 3 Minor league seasons he had 60 HR's, 284 RBI and a .318 Ave with 75 SB's in ONLY 350 Games and the Twins give up on him? :-t :-t .. Go another 20 years with no ring
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 am

Young had 93 RBI because of where he hit in the lineup, not because he was any great shakes.

.288/.316/.408 is a pretty horrible line. Yes, he was 21 at the time, and he did improve his approach last year, but he has a long way to go before he's a super valuable hitter.

I don't think the Twins are looking at cutting him or trading him for 10 cents on the dollar, but they want to put the best team on the field.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Verminator » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:34 pm

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:I couldn't agree more, B-Chad. Fantasy baseball managers are NOTORIOUS for writing off young players when they don't immediately perform. I have have made hay in my keeper fantasy leaguesby drafting these type of guys after everyone else has given up on them (for example: Ervin Santana, Jose Reyes, BJ Upton, Justin Morneau, and Brandon Phillips to name a few). I got all these guys late in the draft and they performed like high round draft picks. While everyone else is chasing the new big name prospects, I grab studs off the Island of Misfit Toys; I will get those big name prospects in a year or two when everyone has predictably given up on them.

Would you put Justin Verlander on this list? There was a guy in our keeper league last year that outright dropped him and now I have him in a league with 8 keepers.

I agree that the Twins would be foolish to give up on Delmon Young... but I also think that the scouting report on Denard Span is a little pessimistic. He had been floundering in the minors but 2008 saw major improvements in his development. His OBS (.387) during his initial major league stint was quite impressive and was a great run producer (70 R and 47 RBI in 347 ABs).

If anything... I see Cuddyer as the odd man out.
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lounge Lizard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Verminator wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:I couldn't agree more, B-Chad. Fantasy baseball managers are NOTORIOUS for writing off young players when they don't immediately perform. I have have made hay in my keeper fantasy leaguesby drafting these type of guys after everyone else has given up on them (for example: Ervin Santana, Jose Reyes, BJ Upton, Justin Morneau, and Brandon Phillips to name a few). I got all these guys late in the draft and they performed like high round draft picks. While everyone else is chasing the new big name prospects, I grab studs off the Island of Misfit Toys; I will get those big name prospects in a year or two when everyone has predictably given up on them.

Would you put Justin Verlander on this list? There was a guy in our keeper league last year that outright dropped him and now I have him in a league with 8 keepers.

I agree that the Twins would be foolish to give up on Delmon Young... but I also think that the scouting report on Denard Span is a little pessimistic. He had been floundering in the minors but 2008 saw major improvements in his development. His OBS (.387) during his initial major league stint was quite impressive and was a great run producer (70 R and 47 RBI in 347 ABs).

If anything... I see Cuddyer as the odd man out.

I hope you're right about Cuddyer seeing that I'm already planning on keeping Young and Span for this season.
Lounge Lizard
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby denicola_dominates » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:44 pm

the kid has talent hopefully he will learn how to contain his anger issues off the field and keep himself out of trouble in the future
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates