Delmon Young not in Twins OF plans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Delmon Young not in Twins OF plans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Delmon Young not in Twins OF plans

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:02 pm

From the Minneapolis StarTrib:

According to the Fargo Forum, Gardy said he wants a starting outfield in 2009 of Denard Span, Carlos Gomez and …

… Michael Cuddyer.

Been nice knowing you, Delmon.

So Delmon either is set to be traded or set to become a utility player. This is a fall of Eric Crouch proportions.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Delmon Young not in Twins OF plans

Postby kab21 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:38 pm

Good riddance. Hopefully the Twins can get a decent player in a trade.

I can sleep at night knowing that the Twins got Liriano and Joe Nathan for AJ Pierzynski. That at least takes some of the sting out of trading Garza (and also the underrated Bartlett) for Young.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 521)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Matthias wrote:From the Minneapolis StarTrib:

According to the Fargo Forum, Gardy said he wants a starting outfield in 2009 of Denard Span, Carlos Gomez and …

… Michael Cuddyer.

So Delmon either is set to be traded or set to become a utility player. This is a fall of Eric Crouch proportions.

He's gotta be on the trading block - someone will pony up something for him given his "talent". No way he just sits on the bench or Dh's.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:55 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Matthias wrote:From the Minneapolis StarTrib:

… Michael Cuddyer.

He's gotta be on the trading block - someone will pony up something for him given his "talent". No way he just sits on the bench or Dh's.

If he is on the trading block Gardenhire just did a nice job of sabotaging his value.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 pm

Points for honesty? :-B

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby kab21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:If he is on the trading block Gardenhire just did a nice job of sabotaging his value.

Although this doesn't help his trade value I think other GM's all have their own assessment's of Young.

I also think that Young will do more to sabotage his trade value over the next couple of season by continually underperforming. His upside is mythical imo. I see him as an average at best corner OF'er with terrible defense. So if there is a trade package available better than this (even if it is much less than Garza/Bartlett) and Bill Smith is in his office reading BA scouting reports from 3 yrs ago and believes that Young is still going to deliver on those and make his first trade look good. Then he is the idiot here. And i do think that Bill Smith doesn't want to admit his screwup.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 521)

Postby B-Chad » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:55 am

This is crazy to me. Denard Span is an older lower ceiling version of Delmon Young. Span's a career .287 minor league hitter (which includes rookie ball and low A ball yikes). He hit .267 in AAA as recently as 2007. For being a burner his stolen base rate is nothing to write home about (91 in 139 attempts between AA and the Majors, putting at a 65% stolen base succes rate).

Prior to this year he was an underachieving 1st round pick. His 6 HR's last year in the Majors are an aberation considering his 5 total HR's the two seasons before in AA and AAA. He's a slap singles hitter with little to no power upside and his numbers he put up in the Majors last year far exceed anything he'd done previously in his career. He's also 1.5 years older then Delmon Young.

On the flip side, Delmon Young will be coming into the season at the ripe old age of 23, and not turning 24 until September, and has 2 full seasons plus 30 games of MLB experience. He collected 186 hits in 2007 in his final year in TB. He is a career .292 Major League hitter (.005 points higher then Span in his MINOR LEAGUE career). For being knocked around for his power developing slowly, he hit 10 HR's last year compared to Span's 16 for his entire career! His SB rate is better then Span's. Also important to note is that Delmon Young's BB:K rate improved from 26:127 in 2007 to 35:105 in 2008 (645 AB's in 2007 and 575 AB's in 2008). I don't watch a lot of Twins games, so I can't tell you much about his defense, but I do know he has a cannon for an arm, and last year was his first experience in LF in the bigs.

I can understand Twins fans possibly being bitter about dealing Garza and Bartlett for Delmon Young and Brendan Harris, but that said, I think it's way too early to write off Delmon. I think it would be foolish to move him since the return isn't likely to be as great as what was dealt for him. Also it's important to remember their are only 5 rotation spots, and while it would be nice to have Garza, the Twins have plenty of arms including Liriano, Baker, Slowey, Perkins, Blackburn, and the minor leaguers acquired for Johan on the way, Humber, Guerra, Mulvy.

If I'm a Twins fan I'm hoping Gardenhire is saying this to light a fire under Delmon's behind, otherwise I think this is a foolish decision from a manager who doesn't often make blunders like this.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:37 pm

I couldn't agree more, B-Chad. Fantasy baseball managers are NOTORIOUS for writing off young players when they don't immediately perform. I have have made hay in my keeper fantasy leaguesby drafting these type of guys after everyone else has given up on them (for example: Ervin Santana, Jose Reyes, BJ Upton, Justin Morneau, and Brandon Phillips to name a few). I got all these guys late in the draft and they performed like high round draft picks. While everyone else is chasing the new big name prospects, I grab studs off the Island of Misfit Toys; I will get those big name prospects in a year or two when everyone has predictably given up on them.
ChewbaccaDefense
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:25 am

kab21 wrote:I can sleep at night knowing that the Twins got Liriano and Joe Nathan for AJ Pierzynski.

:-C
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 823)

Postby Minnesota Puckett » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:45 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
kab21 wrote:I can sleep at night knowing that the Twins got Liriano and Joe Nathan for AJ Pierzynski.

:-C

I am a happy man with this thought too!! ;-D

I have no problem putting Delmon on the bench for a season or so. I love Spann and delmon is still very young. Weve got time with him and no need to rush.
Minnesota Puckett
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates