Alcides Escobar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Alcides Escobar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alcides Escobar

Postby triple3play » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:05 pm

can anyone tell me a little bit about him. ETA, projections, etc....will he stick at short? Im looking to trade Posada for either him or Blake Dewitt possibly. I know hes usually at towards the top of SS lists but just looking for a little more info. Thanks
triple3play
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alcides Escobar

Postby MaudDib » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Alcides Escobar was recognized as a slick-fielding, athletic shortstop with potential at the plate but the numbers never added up. His professional career up to 2007 generally consisted of a mid .600 OPS with poor discipline and not much power to speak of. As a 21-year-old in AA in 2008, however, Escobar finally started putting some of the pieces together. Escobar flashed the most power and patience he has to date and should he continue his progression, he has the chance to one-day become an all-star caliber shortstop.
www.projectprospect.com

I think he still has to show something before he gets a chance in the majors. So much will depend on how he does at the start. He probably will stay in AA with a possible move up to AAA early if he continues hitting. He would also have to overtake Hardy which isn't going to be easy. Not impossible but not easy.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby brewcrewreview.com » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:06 am

As a Brewer fan, I actually think Escobar is a bit overrated at this point.

First of all, Hardy will not be traded or moved to third this year, so Escobar will spend the entire season at AAA.

He'll probably be up in Sept and depending on how he hits in AAA, he could start at SS for the Crew next year or be traded.

He has more real value in MLB then he does in fantasy, b/c he's known for his glove. I predict he struggles to hit near .300 this year at Nashville, with some speed but little power.

I would project this line in his prime:(3-5 years from now)

.265 8 HR 65 RBI 25 SB .315 OBP

If I'm wrong and he blossoms I think this is his ceiling:

.310 15 HR 80 RBI 35 SB .360 OBP

I would bet on the former, however.
brewcrewreview.com
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:11 am

brewcrewreview.com wrote:
I would project this line in his prime:(3-5 years from now)

.265 8 HR 65 RBI 25 SB .315 OBP

Would Orlando Cabrera be a fair comparison? A good player, but unlikely to ever deserve top 100 fantasy status. And I mostly agree with your assessment.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby AEMRICH » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 pm

MILB.com has him ranked as the number 8 overall prospect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a joke. Escobar is good but overrated
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:13 pm

AEMRICH wrote:MILB.com has him ranked as the number 8 overall prospect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a joke. Escobar is good but overrated

:-P Sad.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby nate128 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Hmmm....a slick fielding SS with 30+ SB potential in his rookie season? What's not to like people????

The main value for Escobar right now is stolen bases with around 5 home runs...as he continues to develop I can easily see 15 HR-30 SB seasons which is REAL NICE out of the SS position. As well, the reason he is ranked so high by a lot of baseball sites is because of his glove, and adding his bat and speed in there and he projects into a VERY good prospect.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball