Quick Help with Minor League Keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Quick Help with Minor League Keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Quick Help with Minor League Keepers

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:30 pm

In my league we are allowed 5 minor league keepers. If we keep 5 without promoting them, we do not get any picks in the minor league draft. Currently I'm leaning toward keeping all five in what is basically an OPS based league. I'd love to get some feedback from those who know these guys better than I do.

1. Nick Adenhart
2. Josh Vitters
3. Beau Mills
4. Desmond Jennings
5. Christopher Marrero

Any player that I drop or promote would open up a 1st round minor league draft pick, but keep in mind that this league is in its fourth (I think) year and most of the top minor leaguers (aside from last year's draft) are taken. Thanks. :-D

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Quick Help with Minor League Keepers

Postby RugbyD » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:49 pm

would help to know who else is out there. Also, if you don't expect to need to move any ofhte you MiLBs into your regular roster then you may want to opt for guys with higher upside who are farther away from MLB.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:09 pm

RugbyD wrote:would help to know who else is out there. Also, if you don't expect to need to move any ofhte you MiLBs into your regular roster then you may want to opt for guys with higher upside who are farther away from MLB.

Here's the list of taken players:

Pick Team
1 Travis Snider, OF
2 Matt LaPorta, OF
3 Mike Moustakas, SS
4 Jason Heyward, OF
5 Rick Porcello, SP
6 Wade Davis, SP
7 Jordan Schafer, OF
8 Pedro Alvarez, 3B
9 Lars Anderson, 1B
10 Max Scherzer, SP
11 Reid Brignac, SS
12 Chris Marrero, OF
13 Angel Villalona, 3B
14 German Duran, 2B

Pick Team
15 Carlos Triunfel, SS
16 Adam Miller, SP
17 Luke Hochevar, SP (K)
18 Jarrod Parker, SP
19 Ross Detwiler, P
20 Andrew Miller, SP, DET (K)
21 Clay Buchholz, SP, BOS (K)
22 Billy Butler, OF, KC (K)
23 Brian Matusz, SP
24 Taylor Teagarden, C
25 Matt Antonelli, 2B
26 Josh Vitters, 3B
27 Ian Stewart, 3B
28 Elvis Andrus, SS

Pick Team
29 Phillip Humber, SP, NYM (K)
30 Wade LeBlanc, P
31 Homer Bailey, SP, CIN (K)
32 Chris Tillman, SP
33 Chris Volstad P
34 Carlos Gomez, OF, NYM (K)
35 Carlos Gonzalez, OF, ARI (K)
36 Jay Bruce, OF, CIN (K)
37 David Price, SP, TB (K)
39 Fautino de los Santos, P
40 Beau Mills, 1B/3B
41 Austin Jackson, OF
42 Colby Rasmus, OF, STL (K)

Pick Team
43 Francisco Pena, C, NYM (K)
44 Clayton Kershaw, SP, LAD (K)
45 Andrew McCutchen, OF, PIT (K)
46 Chris Perez, P
48 Alex Gordon, 3B, KC (K)
49 Cameron Maybin, OF, FLA (K)
50 Justin Upton, SS, ARI (K)
51 Adam Jones, OF, SEA (K)
52 Kevin Slowey, SP, MIN (K)
53 Kosuke Fukudome, OF, JPN (K)
54 Desmond Jennings, OF
55 Fernando Martinez, OF, NYM (K)
56 Jose Tabata, OF, NYY (K)

Pick Team
57 Matt Tuiasosopo, SS, SEA (K)
58 Evan Longoria, 3B, TB (K)
59 Daric Barton, 1B, OAK (K)
60 Jeremy Jeffress, P
61 Scott Elbert, RP, LAD (K)
62 Dustin Pedroia, 2B, BOS (K)
63 Ryan Braun, 3B, MIL (K)
64 Andy LaRoche, 3B, LAD (K)
65 Jacoby Ellsbury, OF, BOS (K)
66 Troy Tulowitzki, SS, COL (K)
67 Josh Fields, 3B/OF, CHW (K)
68 Nick Adenhart, SP, LAA (K)
69 Joel Guzman, SS, TB (K)
70 Jeff Clement, C, SEA (K)

These aren't necessarily the pick positions used to draft the players listed. I don't think that I can reasonably expect any of my current MiLB players to get the promotion to my MLB roster before the draft, aside from maybe Adenhart, but even that might be a stretch and he may be worth keeping in the minors for one additional year.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby kab21 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:28 pm

I think you do need to drop one guy to get at least one draft pick. But it would help to know how big your league is and what your draft position would be. If your in the top 5 I would easily drop one of these guys and take a shot at Smoak, Alvarez, TBeckham, Posey, Alonso, and others.

I might consider cutting Adenhart and Marrero, they are still good prospects, but they seem more like average players out of your group. Especially Marrero if he stays at 1B in that pitcher's park.

Okay you've answered one of my questions regarding who is taken. I don't have time to go thru you list and determine who is available. But there are only 70 names on the list. 25 of those are definitely MLB'ers and 10 (estimate) won't be making top 100 lists. So there could be at best the top 35 prospects in baseball and Marrero and Adenhart aren't making the cut in my book.

Just scanning that list I don't see Brett Anderson, Tim Alderson, Madison Bumgarner and Trevor Cahill on the list. There appears to be alot of talent available in addition to this year's draft.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:44 pm

I would definitely drop Adenhart! ;-D

As for Marrero though, I would try to hold onto him. He was hurt almost all of last season, so his stock has really dropped. Despite this, I would definitely hold onto him if you can because he still has a decent amount of potential.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:31 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:I would definitely drop Adenhart! ;-D

As for Marrero though, I would try to hold onto him. He was hurt almost all of last season, so his stock has really dropped. Despite this, I would definitely hold onto him if you can because he still has a decent amount of potential.

I think there is just too much talent available to keep Marrero although it would help if we knew what his draft positions in the 1st and 2nd round. My estimation based on his list is that there are only about 35 of the top 100 prospects in baseball being protected. Marrero is a decent prospect, but I can think of 10 '08 draftees I would rather have in addition to Cahill, Bumgarner, Bret Anderson and Tim Alderson (and these were just a very quick scan) that I didn't see on the list. And I think that there are alot of top 50 prospects that will be in the draft. And I don't think Marrero stacks up well against them. Especially considering that he'll play 1B (the deepest position) in National's stadium (a pitcher's park).

What the original poster should do is find a midseason top 100 list and find out some of the obvious names that are available. He can start here with the top 25 prospect list in this forum and also the top 15 SP also in this forum.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I just skimmed through and haven't been able to digest everything yet but wanted to address one or two concerns up front. As far as my draft position, it partially depends on how many minor leaguers are being kept by other owners, but I would likely have the 9th pick in each round of the draft for each player dropped or promoted.

I am a bit surprised to see Adenhart's name thrown out as I thought he was still considered a top prospect in the Angels' system.

Finally, with the focus Marrero I should mention that I have Fielder locked up for fairly long term. This may be even more reason to drop Marrero assuming he stays at 1B since the league does not use a Util slot.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:03 pm

Is this a keeper league for your MLB rosters too?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:49 pm

RugbyD wrote:Is this a keeper league for your MLB rosters too?

It's kind of a combination between a keeper league and an auction league. My offensive keepers this year, not including minor leaguers, are Prince Fielder, Kelly Johnson, Chipper Jones, Hanley Ramirez (long term contract), Xavier Nady, Matt Holiday (long term contract) and Shane Victorino.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby jimpage » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:16 am

id say the best players not on the list are wieters, cahill, bumgarner, anderson, feliz, holland, alderson, fowler, gamel, beckham & beckham, stanton, chacin, montero, hanson, smoak, hosmer, morrison, freeman, santana, wallace, posey, aumont, zimmermann, max ramirez, bowden, cecil, carter, burgess, hellickson, alonso...jeez thats a ton of good players!

so here are 31 players i would definitely want over adenhart, mills, and marrero, no doubt about it...walden has passed adenhart as laa top prospect...mills and marrero are 1B where you already have fielder, and arent gonna be on any top 50 lists now...not to say those 3 arent good prospects, but you have alot more talent available than you realize, and i just like all these guys more...and depending on how many of these guys you think will fall in the draft, i would even consider dropping vitters and jennings, as i have all but a few of these guys ranked ahead of them too
jimpage
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball