Is my team as good as I think it is? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Is my team as good as I think it is?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is my team as good as I think it is?

Postby UTVOLS1 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:27 pm

10 team H2H Yahoo 6X6 league. Live Dradfted team.
Scoring= R,2B,HR, RBI, SB, AVG.
Pitching= W, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP.

C-Pierzynski
1B- Nick Johnson
2B- Vidro
3B- A-Rod
SS- Berroa
OF- Wilson, Wells and Giles
Util.- Crawford and Hinske
Bench- Lieberthal, Valentin and Juan Gonzales

SP-Mussina, Vazquez, Clement, Sabathia and Penny
RP- Rivera, Mantei, Nen, Kolb and Nathan

I know it's a catch 22 question, but is my team as stacked as I think it is. I think my only concern is 1B. Any thoughts? I want my team to be great, but also want the league to be competetive.
UTVOLS1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mighty Monks » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:35 pm

it is decent, but for a 1o team league, not stacked.
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:44 pm

Well, let's start at the top - you've got a weird scoring system. So that skews things. I don't know, for instance, if Johnson has a tendency to hit doubles. Or if Sabathia throws a lot of shutouts. So I'll tell you what I think for a regular 5x5 league - take it with a grain of salt. Maybe you chose this player or that player because they contribute in 2b or SHO. I don't know. What I do know is this.

Your offense is passable. You spent early and often on your OF. You have a good infield, though as you said your 1b is somewhat weak. Also, you have one of the top 10 catchers in the league, though just barely. Given that you're in a 10 team league, you could improve there. Maybe a non-traditional catcher with a little more pop (doubles?) is available? Somebody like Matt LeCroy or Jason Phillips? I guess I just don't like Pierzynski much. He only helps in the one category. If nothing else, I'd start Lieberthal over him.

But you've got a nice combo of speed and power, assuming that Berroa is as good as he looked last year. If Hinske rebounds, you'll be solid. And if Juan Gone stays healthy.

Pitching needs improvement. Mussina and Vazquez are good, but you've got a lot of question marks behind them for a ten team league. Clement is inconsistant, Sabathia is fat, and Penny is... who knows? Certainly he's overworked.

Your closers also leave something to be desired. Let's just assume right here and now that Mantei and Nen will miss 90% of their respective seasons. I think that's fair, given their track records. Rivera is money in the postseason but is often babied during the regular season to protect his arm. Count yourself lucky if you get 30 saves from him. Kolb isn't as good as he seemed last year and neither is Nathan (whose minor league era is just under 5).

I don't know. It seems to me that you have a number of holes to fill. The league will be competitive, don't worry about that. But your team isn't good enough in a 10 team league to be part of that competition yet.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team