Unemployment question? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Unemployment question?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Unemployment question?

Postby Phatferd » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:27 pm

I just became a product of the economy and was laid-off. It sucks, but I know there is nothing I can do about it. I plan on hitting the market hard and finding a new job, but I am also realistic and know it's a tough time to find work if you are out of a job.

Anyways, I was a 1099 employee for this company, but they were my employer. I had direct bosses and was told when and how to perform my job and had to give a weekly report of my actions. I think the term for this is Common Law Employee. If you asked my employer they would say I was an independent contractor, but that was only so they didn't have to pay the taxes on me.

Anyways, I was hoping some of you out there would have some insight on my situation. I applied for unemployment this morning, but it will take weeks before they give me an answer. Do you guys know if 1099 employees are even eligible for unemployment benefits?

I live in California for the record; I know it differs from state to state.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Unemployment question?

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Tough question, and as you say, Cali laws will be the key. 1099 employees are independent contractors, and the fact that you had internal bosses wouldn't get around that fact here in NE.

I would imagine you would not have a time penalty to receive benefits since you were laid off through no fault of your own, but again, that's going to be a state-specific call.

Good luck to you, man. Sorry to hear about your situation. :-/
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:27 pm

Sorry to hear about that Phatferd. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Phatferd wrote:Do you guys know if 1099 employees are even eligible for unemployment benefits?

I have no idea actually. I'd say because if you're a 1099 employee, the state also deems you as an independent contractor/consultant that you're not eligible, even if you're a direct report to someone or more within that company you were working for. Just take it up with the Department of Labor and they'll have a better answer.

Sorry about the news, man. Getting laid off right before the holidays is the worst time of all. :-/
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:01 pm

Sorry to hear that....here's hoping your situation turned out like mine. I got laid off a year ago and turned around with a new job 4 days later....it's closer to home, more money and just an all around better situation. Getting laid off was the best thing that has happened to me in quite some time! ;-D Good luck to you.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:21 pm

J35J wrote:Sorry to hear that....here's hoping your situation turned out like mine. I got laid off a year ago and turned around with a new job 4 days later....it's closer to home, more money and just an all around better situation. Getting laid off was the best thing that has happened to me in quite some time! ;-D Good luck to you.

Way to make our friend feel better. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:27 pm

Yoda wrote:
J35J wrote:Sorry to hear that....here's hoping your situation turned out like mine. I got laid off a year ago and turned around with a new job 4 days later....it's closer to home, more money and just an all around better situation. Getting laid off was the best thing that has happened to me in quite some time! ;-D Good luck to you.

Hey, all I'm saying is don't get too down...you never know whats around the corner.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 am

J35J wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Hey, all I'm saying is don't get too down...you never know whats around the corner.

yeah i know what you're saying...the last company i worked for filed bankruptcy and cut a bunch of people. luckily they "saved" my job by offering to let take a job as a test technician (quite a step down from engineer) that was 35 miles farther away (same pay though)
that got me job searching again and found a better paying job that i like a lot (still in the volitile auto industry though)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:45 am

I don't know all the specifics for eligibility but I'm fairly certain being 1099 does not exlcude you in and of itself (at least here) because I know 1099s that have received benefits.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smoovethug » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:03 am

J35J wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Nice wisdom. Keep ya head up Phatty.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Return to General Talk