Conor Gillaspie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Conor Gillaspie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Conor Gillaspie

Postby nate128 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:09 am

I don't know a whole lot about him, besides he was a supplemental pick by the Giants and some think for contractual obligations they called him up to the big club at the end of the season. The reason i'm asking is I managed to snag him in a dynasty league because he popped up on Yahoo waivers. I'm wondering what I should expect for next year and the future....Cheers!
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Conor Gillaspie

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:56 pm

He's solid. He went to Wichita State and had a very good final year in college.
234 ABs
.419/.500/.697
11hr
82rbi
38/22 BB/SO
16/2 SB/CS

...those are numbers you look for and are right up there with the best as far as college numbers go. Through 93 minor league games he got in last year he still managed 12BB to 14SO so he is maintaining good plate discipline. On top of that he managed to get in 8 games at the end of last year, though only 5ABs, but he still managed 2 walks with no strikes outs. Very, very small sample size but usually when players get a quick glimpse in the bigs you generally see alot of strike outs and very few walks....yet he still maintained his discipline. I'll imagine any power he develops will be slow to come. First player that comes to mind might be a Carlos Guillen type.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby nate128 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Very interesting and it is good to see that I made the right decision to pick him up. The big thing for me is his plate discipline, as that usually seems to make or break a lot of prospects. When should I expect him to have a starting gig with the Giants? I've read one of the reasons they went after him is the gaping hole they have at 3B and that Gillaspie's bat is very advanced. Possible fit for next season?

BTW J could you do me a favour and email me at nate128@hotmail.com ... Would like to discuss something fantasy baseball related.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:29 pm

nate128 wrote:Very interesting and it is good to see that I made the right decision to pick him up. The big thing for me is his plate discipline, as that usually seems to make or break a lot of prospects. When should I expect him to have a starting gig with the Giants? I've read one of the reasons they went after him is the gaping hole they have at 3B and that Gillaspie's bat is very advanced. Possible fit for next season?

BTW J could you do me a favour and email me at nate128@hotmail.com ... Would like to discuss something fantasy baseball related.

I'm not in the "up and up" as far as when they plan on giving him a shot but I wouldn't imagine it being very long since they already gave him a couple shots late last year. Maybe someone from SF can give a little insight as far as that goes?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Wheelhouse » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:42 am

J35J wrote:
nate128 wrote:Very interesting and it is good to see that I made the right decision to pick him up. The big thing for me is his plate discipline, as that usually seems to make or break a lot of prospects. When should I expect him to have a starting gig with the Giants? I've read one of the reasons they went after him is the gaping hole they have at 3B and that Gillaspie's bat is very advanced. Possible fit for next season?

I'm not in the "up and up" as far as when they plan on giving him a shot but I wouldn't imagine it being very long since they already gave him a couple shots late last year. Maybe someone from SF can give a little insight as far as that goes?

despite the call-up, gillaspie has loads of work to do in the minors........it has been widely speculated that the only reason he was called up in september (and added to the 40 man roster) is because of a clause in his contract, so i wouldn't read too much into it

he should spend '09 in high A and/or AA.........he'll may a chance to compete for a job in '10 (depending what they have on their roster at that point) but he's never going to be a big power bat at the corner, so his value is certainly questionable
Wheelhouse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby J35J » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:36 am

Wheelhouse wrote:
J35J wrote:

despite the call-up, gillaspie has loads of work to do in the minors........it has been widely speculated that the only reason he was called up in september (and added to the 40 man roster) is because of a clause in his contract, so i wouldn't read too much into it

he should spend '09 in high A and/or AA.........he'll may a chance to compete for a job in '10 (depending what they have on their roster at that point) but he's never going to be a big power bat at the corner, so his value is certainly questionable

Yep, sounds good.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Minor League & College Baseball