DDT: the debate still rages - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

DDT: the debate still rages

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DDT: the debate still rages

Postby thedude » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:17 pm

With Malaria ragging, developing nations are turning to the chemical vilified by Rachel Carsons and the American Press.

UGANDANS should not expect the fight against malaria to be spearheaded by foreigners, health experts have advised.

“If Americans eradicated mosquitoes, why can’t we? There is nothing special with our mosquitoes,” said Myers Lugemwa, the acting head of the malaria control programme.

“It is absurd that some academicians and politicians are opposing the use of DDT for internal residual spraying. If I had my way, I would have charged such people with murder because the country loses 320 lives everyday,” Lugemwa said.

He added that Uganda spends over $600m every year on treating malaria.

The health ministry launched indoor residual spraying of DDT in Apac and Oyam districts in February.

But the High Court stopped the exercise following a petition from anti-DDT activists.

http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/13/661193

The WTO actually supports the spraying of DDT in developing countries.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: DDT: the debate still rages

Postby RugbyD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:53 pm

i really don't understand why this hasn't been done sooner. there's no reason not to save thousands and thousands of lives if it's easy and cheap. i'd gladly trade in a few species for that result.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:47 am

RugbyD wrote:i really don't understand why this hasn't been done sooner. there's no reason not to save thousands and thousands of lives if it's easy and cheap. i'd gladly trade in a few species for that result.

That's not what this is about. DDT is a poison that kills people as well as mosquitos. Also, if Myers Lugemwa, the acting head of the malaria control programme thinks we've eradicated mosquitos, he needs to spend a couple nights camping in the woods here in July.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
RugbyD wrote:i really don't understand why this hasn't been done sooner. there's no reason not to save thousands and thousands of lives if it's easy and cheap. i'd gladly trade in a few species for that result.

That's not what this is about. DDT is a poison that kills people as well as mosquitos. Also, if Myers Lugemwa, the acting head of the malaria control programme thinks we've eradicated mosquitos, he needs to spend a couple nights camping in the woods here in July.

Saving lives is precisely what it's about. DDT's human carcinogenic properties are at worst inconclusive, with many conflicting studies and no definitive proof of causation, while its malaria prevention properties are established fact. Other means of prevention exists, such as mosquito nets, but there's no reason that DDT can't be used as part of a comprehensive solution to a serious problem in developing countries.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby thedude » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:31 am

RugbyD wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

Saving lives is precisely what it's about. DDT's human carcinogenic properties are at worst inconclusive, with many conflicting studies and no definitive proof of causation, while its malaria prevention properties are established fact. Other means of prevention exists, such as mosquito nets, but there's no reason that DDT can't be used as part of a comprehensive solution to a serious problem in developing countries.

The problem with DDT, was that it was overused by farmers. Which allowed great amounts of the chemical to get into the enivorment. DDT has been and continues to be the effective way of containing mosquitos in tropical countries. If its use is restricted to just Mosquito control, the benefits far outweigh the risks, at least in my opinion.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby MikeeDee » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:19 am

I have to disagree. Most of the people living in these areas do not have access to drinking water the way we do. Most of the scientific research looking into the effects DDT has on people was conducted in scenarios where the product was sprayed on fields used for crop growth, not on people who are subsistence farmers who employ hunter/gatherer techniques to add to their diet with no access to clean water. The two can't be compared. Oh, and being carcinogenic or not should never be the only toxicologic effect taken into consideration.
He once hit a ball between my legs so hard that my center-fielder caught it on the fly backing up against the wall.

If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:30 am

I don't know too much about the subject/debate but it seems like a now versus later type scenario. If I had to choose then I would always go for fixing the immediate problem since unresolved, it would create bigger problems down the road. Plus, is there an alternate solution to the immediate problem? My guess is there is not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59 am

Yoda wrote:I don't know too much about the subject/debate but it seems like a now versus later type scenario. If I had to choose then I would always go for fixing the immediate problem since unresolved, it would create bigger problems down the road. Plus, is there an alternate solution to the immediate problem? My guess is there is not.

The Simpsons wrote:Skinner: Well, I was wrong; the lizards are a godsend.
Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?
Skinner: No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.
Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Yoda wrote:I don't know too much about the subject/debate but it seems like a now versus later type scenario. If I had to choose then I would always go for fixing the immediate problem since unresolved, it would create bigger problems down the road. Plus, is there an alternate solution to the immediate problem? My guess is there is not.

The Simpsons wrote:Skinner: Well, I was wrong; the lizards are a godsend.
Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?
Skinner: No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.
Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death

lol
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:52 pm

MikeeDee wrote:I have to disagree. Most of the people living in these areas do not have access to drinking water the way we do. Most of the scientific research looking into the effects DDT has on people was conducted in scenarios where the product was sprayed on fields used for crop growth, not on people who are subsistence farmers who employ hunter/gatherer techniques to add to their diet with no access to clean water. The two can't be compared. Oh, and being carcinogenic or not should never be the only toxicologic effect taken into consideration.

The method they're talking about using is Indoor Residual Spraying, not crop treatment.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk