Top 50 Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top 50 Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top 30 Prospects

Postby kab21 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:56 pm

oddmanout7 wrote:Would you mind explaining to me the comparison to Trevor? I just dont see it...Nothing more than 13HR or 12SB in 4.5 seasons in the minors. He also never hit over .290 in any of the seasons, or even .285 for that matter...The only thing I will concede is that he is a SS prospect.

Trevor Plouffe and Reid Brignac have very similar MiLB numbers except for one outlier season by Brignac in '06. That doesn't scream fluke? I might not rank either of them in the top 250. Brignac is terrible and you brought him up as a justification to ranking Andrus high.

The problem that I have with Andrus is that he hasn't shown me anything with the bat to indicate that he'll hit better than .275/.325/.375/.705 in the majors. The strikeouts are a big concern since he mostly lacks power (unlike Stanton or even Gomez who I'm not sure will stick as an MLB regular). And my biggest concern is that Andrus doesn't hit well enough to stay in the lineup or bat higher than 9th.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 520)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:51 pm

It's natural for a very young short stop to not show much power in the minors. Especially if he's playing at high levels.
Just look at the minor league numbers of any elite short stop in the majors right now.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby oddmanout7 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:21 pm

kab21 wrote:
oddmanout7 wrote:Would you mind explaining to me the comparison to Trevor? I just dont see it...Nothing more than 13HR or 12SB in 4.5 seasons in the minors. He also never hit over .290 in any of the seasons, or even .285 for that matter...The only thing I will concede is that he is a SS prospect.

Trevor Plouffe and Reid Brignac have very similar MiLB numbers except for one outlier season by Brignac in '06. That doesn't scream fluke? I might not rank either of them in the top 250. Brignac is terrible and you brought him up as a justification to ranking Andrus high.

The problem that I have with Andrus is that he hasn't shown me anything with the bat to indicate that he'll hit better than .275/.325/.375/.705 in the majors. The strikeouts are a big concern since he mostly lacks power (unlike Stanton or even Gomez who I'm not sure will stick as an MLB regular). And my biggest concern is that Andrus doesn't hit well enough to stay in the lineup or bat higher than 9th.

I misread your post and thought you were considering Elvis to Trevor. My mistake.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BUCCOFAN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:05 pm

Nice list, but where is Matt Gamel? (MIL) I thought he was a top prospect, or did he fall down the ranks, after a tough season last year. And is his long term position at 3B, or is he all stick no mitt.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 189)

Postby Kraftwerk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Wahts the general feeling regarding Lars Anderson?

All the huge talk when drafted, and doing nicely to justify it.

Would be in a very nice spot in making it to fenway for 2010.

You think about #15 is right for him? ( I'm drafting in a new dynasty)

Thanks
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Re: Top 25 Prospects

Postby oddmanout7 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:50 am

oddmanout7 wrote:I don't know what to expect from Gamel.

"After being arguably the best hitter in the minors during the first half of the season, with a .375/.433/.612 line on July 12, third baseman Mat Gamel went into a horrible slump, batting just .189/.283/.315 the rest of the way with no real explanation or obvious cause. He also remains a third baseman in name only after committing 32 errors there, giving him a whopping 119 miscues over the last three years." - SI

I am not really a big fan of Gamel. He just kinda fell apart after the AS break. I think he may make my top 50, but I think he would be towards the back end. With all his errors, I think his future is at 1B.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BUCCOFAN » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:53 am

oddmanout7 wrote:

"After being arguably the best hitter in the minors during the first half of the season, with a .375/.433/.612 line on July 12, third baseman Mat Gamel went into a horrible slump, batting just .189/.283/.315 the rest of the way with no real explanation or obvious cause. He also remains a third baseman in name only after committing 32 errors there, giving him a whopping 119 miscues over the last three years." - SI

I am not really a big fan of Gamel. He just kinda fell apart after the AS break. I think he may make my top 50, but I think he would be towards the back end. With all his errors, I think his future is at 1B.

I see, I heard that he dropped off the map in the later part of the 2008 season, and its no question his defense is suspect. Which will hinder his Fantasy Value if he becomes a 1B correct? So out of these three options who is the better "Minor League Keeper" assuming all three start in the minors? (3B-Gamel/OF-Fowler/C-Teagarden)

Thanks,
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 189)

Postby Whalewang » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:19 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:
oddmanout7 wrote:

I see, I heard that he dropped off the map in the later part of the 2008 season, and its no question his defense is suspect. Which will hinder his Fantasy Value if he becomes a 1B correct? So out of these three options who is the better "Minor League Keeper" assuming all three start in the minors? (3B-Gamel/OF-Fowler/C-Teagarden)

Thanks,

Fowler, by a significant margin.
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Kraftwerk wrote:Wahts the general feeling regarding Lars Anderson?

All the huge talk when drafted, and doing nicely to justify it.

Would be in a very nice spot in making it to fenway for 2010.

You think about #15 is right for him? ( I'm drafting in a new dynasty)

Thanks

He will hit for a good average, and there is some power potential there. The biggest i concern i have for him is that first base/DH will probably be blocked in Boston.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby FalcoAtL » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:14 pm

You can bet on Lars being the starting 1B when he reaches the majors (if he stays on his current path). There's really nothing in his way. They can move Youk to third with no problems remember. Plus I think it's safe to say Lars' overall potential greatly exceeds Youk's.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball