Top 50 Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top 50 Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top 30 Prospects

Postby oddmanout7 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:30 pm

Updated.

I moved some guys around and expanded it a bit. Still working on a top 50 and should be there in the next week or so. Thoughts?
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Looks better OMO ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)

Postby FalcoAtL » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:19 pm

Yeah, definitely much better ;-D
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:28 pm

What's up with Elvis Andrus?

He's strikes me as a prospect that is ranked based on tools and the fact that he has merely survived playing at levels with much older players. Kind of Carlos Gomez-ish. I guess I'm not quite as excited about him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby oddmanout7 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Elvis Andrus - .295/.350/.367 4HR 53SB 16CS 38BB 91K

As a 19year old in AA ball, those are great numbers. Add in the fact that he is a SS, and will be playing half his games at Arlington and you have a very nice prospect. With SS being so shallow, I mean Reid Brignac is still a decent prospect, Elvis and his speed become that much more valuable.

Carlos Gomez put up similar numbers in the minors, but he was at a more advanced age (age 20 in AA), and is an OF which is deeper than SS. Elvis being ranked so aggressive here may be based on his tools and his age, but his numbers are better than Fernando Martinez at the same age, and Elvis plays SS...
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kab21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:11 pm

oddmanout7 wrote:Elvis Andrus - .295/.350/.367 4HR 53SB 16CS 38BB 91K

As a 19year old in AA ball, those are great numbers. Add in the fact that he is a SS, and will be playing half his games at Arlington and you have a very nice prospect. With SS being so shallow, I mean Reid Brignac is still a decent prospect, Elvis and his speed become that much more valuable.

Carlos Gomez put up similar numbers in the minors, but he was at a more advanced age (age 20 in AA), and is an OF which is deeper than SS. Elvis being ranked so aggressive here may be based on his tools and his age, but his numbers are better than Fernando Martinez at the same age, and Elvis plays SS...

I don't like FMart either. Those are not great numbers regardless of how young he is. he has merely suvived playing at levels with much older players. He's very comparable to Alcides Escobar imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby oddmanout7 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:33 pm

The comparison to Escobar is not justified as a 20 year old in AA he hit .283/.314/.354 in 226 AB with 4HR 4SB with 3CS. As a 21 year old in AA he hit .328/.363/.434 546ab with 8HR and 34SB 8CS and 31BB and 81K. Escobar has been older at the levels, but still hasn't put up the SB totals that Elvis has.

Give me a SS prospect that you would take over Elvis...Reid Brignac? Marcus Lemon? The combination of little depth at the SS position combined with Elvis ability to steal bases makes him a great fantasy prospect. I am not a big fan of FMart either, but any 19 year old that can hold their own in AA is worth a second look IMO.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kab21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:23 pm

In '07 Escobar was 8 months older than Andrus in '08 and each spent a half season in '08. Just because SS doesn't have many/any good prospects in the minors doesn't mean that I'm going to rate one in the top 25 because of scarcity. And my problem is that I can't exactly project his stats out to what he wlll do in the majors. Poor K:BB ratio, low IsoP I just have no idea what to expect.

Jason Donald and Ivan Dejesus are 2 SS's that I like are lot more than trash like Brignac. They aren't getting in any top 25 though, maybe somewhere around the top 50 or close at least. Brignac is getting closer to the Trevor Plouffe prospect level to me.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:13 am

oddmanout7 wrote:Give me a SS prospect that you would take over Elvis...Reid Brignac? Marcus Lemon? The combination of little depth at the SS position combined with Elvis ability to steal bases makes him a great fantasy prospect. I am not a big fan of FMart either, but any 19 year old that can hold their own in AA is worth a second look IMO.

Tim Beckham maybe. Andrus should probably be ranked higher than Beckham, but I'd take Beckham over those other guys.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby oddmanout7 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Beckham I overlooked. But his ranking is based primarily on his massive potential more than anything.

Elvis spent all of 2008 in AA, 482ab...38BB and 91K then 54BB 107K the year before. That ratio isn't stellar, but then again its not Stanton either. Speed I would think is very projectable, and I would think that the lack of SS depth means that a good SS prospect is even better. I mean a guy that can hit .270 with 40SB from SS would be very valuable to a team. A SS and a OF with similar stats (say Gomez as you mentioned), the SS will undoubtedly be ranked higher, which is due to his position.

Would you mind explaining to me the comparison to Trevor? I just dont see it...Nothing more than 13HR or 12SB in 4.5 seasons in the minors. He also never hit over .290 in any of the seasons, or even .285 for that matter...The only thing I will concede is that he is a SS prospect.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball