808s & Heartbreak - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

808s & Heartbreak

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 808s & Heartbreak

Postby DK » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Intro tracks are very important... They set the mood for an album and can subconsciously (or, in some cases, consciously) change how you view the rest of the album.

AZ always has great intro tracks, which draws me further into the album every time I listen to him.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:24 pm

DK wrote:Intro tracks are very important... They set the mood for an album and can subconsciously (or, in some cases, consciously) change how you view the rest of the album.

AZ always has great intro tracks, which draws me further into the album every time I listen to him.

Yes! Jay-Z's intro tracks are off the hook (Dynasty, Vol. 3, even Vol. 2 with Bleek rapping) and to me are sort of like a thesis for the rest of the album. That's just how I've always looked at them though.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:39 pm

i cant disagree with any of that but i just never heard anyone say "i love X because of his intro's".

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby smoovethug » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:18 pm

DK wrote:Streetlights is a beautiful, beautiful song.

I feel the same about Coldest Winter.

Gearing up for the album, after hearing Love Lockdown, I was about 75% sure I'd despise the album. I'm not a fan of a auto-tune when used in large doses but this album has officially grown on me. Heartless, Coldest Winter, Say You Will, Amazing, Welcome To Heartbreak, and See You In My Nightmares all stand out to me. There really isn't a track that I can say I'll skip or completely take off the playlist (a la Drunk and Hot Girls :-P ). Not a classic by any means but something that I can listen to and enjoy.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby DK » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:58 am

smoovethug wrote:
DK wrote:Streetlights is a beautiful, beautiful song.

I feel the same about Coldest Winter.

Gearing up for the album, after hearing Love Lockdown, I was about 75% sure I'd despise the album. I'm not a fan of a auto-tune when used in large doses but this album has officially grown on me. Heartless, Coldest Winter, Say You Will, Amazing, Welcome To Heartbreak, and See You In My Nightmares all stand out to me. There really isn't a track that I can say I'll skip or completely take off the playlist (a la Drunk and Hot Girls :-P ). Not a classic by any means but something that I can listen to and enjoy.

To me this album is probably going to stick in Kanye's career in the same vein that Here, My Dear does in Marvin Gaye's. It's an intensely personal, painful album that takes his entire previous image in the window of popular music and reverses it. That's more the crazy part to me: Kanye basically dominates the pop music market in America, and he's taking this ruling by his previous formulas and just throwing it away, label execs and listeners be damned, to do only what he wants to do.
This album is as much about the artist's image as the actual music itself.

And let me add on that I am NOT a Kanye West fan. I loved College Dropout, and thought Late Registration was good, but I could not stand Graduation. I personally thought Kanye was done as an artist and was just a tool trying to rule the tabloids for a buck.
But what he's doing now with his career is, to me, unprecedented... especially in this day and age.

In thirty or forty years, we will likely look back at Kanye as the face of the new millenium of popular music, the same way we look at the Marvin's and the James Brown's of forty years past.
I'm not saying that he's as talented as either of those artists were (he's not close, imo) but he is certainly the dominant image.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:50 pm

Going by what DK said i tried streetlights and i love it. Its not a typical kanye song but it really grew on me so did heartless and Amazing. The more I give it a chance the more i like it ;-D

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby jfg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Intros and skits are the worst and I see no purpose for them.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:29 pm

DbacksRback wrote:Going by what DK said i tried streetlights and i love it. Its not a typical kanye song but it really grew on me so did heartless and Amazing. The more I give it a chance the more i like it ;-D

I liked it more than I thought I would the first time through, I remember being disappointed it was over, and it grows on me more every time. Amazing is the most killer track on the CD.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:46 am

jfg wrote:Intros and skits are the worst and I see no purpose for them.

No offense, but you must not listen to a lot of rap music then.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:54 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
jfg wrote:Intros and skits are the worst and I see no purpose for them.

No offense, but you must not listen to a lot of rap music then.

skits are terrible. ive listened to hip-hop music my whole life and i still do not get them. sure, one may be funny the first time you listen to it, but its never funny again so you skip right through it.

and we already know how you feel about intros :-b

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk