Toddler dust-up... instigated by dad... posted to YouTube. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Toddler dust-up... instigated by dad... posted to YouTube.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Toddler cockfight... instigated by dad... posted to YouTube.

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:02 am

yeah im with hort and knapp. to label this a "cockfight" is down right inaccurate.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:yeah im with hort and knapp. to label this a "cockfight" is down right inaccurate.

Title changed to suit the whiners. ;-7
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby knapplc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:yeah im with hort and knapp. to label this a "cockfight" is down right inaccurate.

Title changed to suit the whiners. ;-7

Why would you change this title? Didn't CNN use "cockfight" in their headline?

It's not on you, man. It's the media's fault.

Madison, there were things this horrible and worse happening 40, 80, 200 and 2,000 years ago. I don't know why you would think there weren't. The world was a very brutal, difficult place to live in centuries past. We're far more civilised in far more parts of the globe now than ever before.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:42 pm

Madison wrote:I really don't think there were things like this happening 40-80 years ago. Dumber and dumber things are happening that are new and didn't happen before. Morals are decaying and education is down (not screaming the sky is falling, just pointing out the truth). Combine the two and we get new goofy stuff like this kid fight.

They were still lynching blacks for winking at white women 40-80 years ago. :-S I'd say that morals have made a net increase since those days. Besides, this is the only "baby cockfight" I've ever heard of. One is too many, but I'm willing to bet something like this has happened many times in the past, except 40-80 years ago, they didn't have Youtube to post it on.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Madison wrote:I really don't think there were things like this happening 40-80 years ago. Dumber and dumber things are happening that are new and didn't happen before. Morals are decaying and education is down (not screaming the sky is falling, just pointing out the truth). Combine the two and we get new goofy stuff like this kid fight.

They were still lynching blacks for winking at white women 40-80 years ago. :-S I'd say that morals have made a net increase since those days. Besides, this is the only "baby cockfight" I've ever heard of. One is too many, but I'm willing to bet something like this has happened many times in the past, except 40-80 years ago, they didn't have Youtube to post it on.

This is what I was talking about, as well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Re: Toddler dust-up... instigated by dad... posted to YouTube.

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:07 pm

I agree with both BH and Freakazoid. But taking into consideration the way our society runs today, coaxing 3 of your kids to beat the hell out of your 2 year old, taping this act of child abuse, and then putting it where the world can see it, is really, REALLY stupid.

I'm sure in the middle ages most 2 year old boys suffered far greater than this each day, but our society is radically different now. You have to always consider the context in which the event occurred. Here, the context is our society in 2008, in which this is completely unacceptable, and mind boggingly stupid.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:34 pm

knapplc wrote:Madison, there were things this horrible and worse happening 40, 80, 200 and 2,000 years ago. I don't know why you would think there weren't. The world was a very brutal, difficult place to live in centuries past. We're far more civilised in far more parts of the globe now than ever before.

I didn't say bad things weren't happening back then. As Neato Torpedo pointed out (and I was already aware), the racial problem was in full swing back then (which of course is horrible and disgusting).

What I'm saying is that times have changed. We as a society are attempting to evolved and change, and as a society, the majority are better now.

However, on the individual level, when it comes to education and lack of morals, it is evident that things are getting worse. Take this situation for example. This idiot didn't have the morals to know what he was doing was wrong, nor the intelligence to consider the long term effect of such a thing on the kids. And then he showed a serious lack of education by not only taping it, but posting it up on Youtube.

Look at it this way, it's like a company that makes swords. They can manufacture 10 swords at the exact same time. 1 out of the 10 on average will be flawed, but the material can be recycled and used again. Said company "evolves" and finds a new method and can now make 100 swords at one time that are actually of better quality than the prior method. Unfortunately 10 will be flawed, and while that's the same ratio as the prior method, the 10 flawed swords in this method are totally worthless. Can't be recycled, can't be used for anything else, and the only place for them is the junkyard.

No difference here. The majority of society is growing and getting better. But the "idiot" population is still the same percentage (I actually think the percentages are growing, but there are valid points about the media and information age making it "appear" that way, so neither here nor there) and that "idiot" population is getting dumber and dumber and has less and less morals.

So while the "Average Joe" nowadays is likely be more evolved and a better person than 80 years ago, the "Average idiot" will be dumber and have less morals than ever before.

Most know I'm not a "one quarter full" kinda guy, I'm a "three quarters empty" kinda guy, so when I constantly see dumber and dumber things like this story, it gives me a negative impression on where society is headed.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:43 pm

Madison wrote:The majority of society is growing and getting better. But the "idiot" population is still the same percentage (I actually think the percentages are growing, but there are valid points about the media and information age making it "appear" that way, so neither here nor there) and that "idiot" population is getting dumber and dumber and has less and less morals.

So while the "Average Joe" nowadays is likely be more evolved and a better person than 80 years ago, the "Average idiot" will be dumber and have less morals than ever before.

Most know I'm not a "one quarter full" kinda guy, I'm a "three quarters empty" kinda guy, so when I constantly see dumber and dumber things like this story, it gives me a negative impression on where society is headed.

You really need to dust up on your social history. There simply isn't evidence to support these kinds of conclusions, especially American society. Levels of education/literacy are far higher today than they were in the first half of the last century, and America is one of the most literate, educated societies the world has ever seen.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:04 pm

knapplc wrote:
Madison wrote:The majority of society is growing and getting better. But the "idiot" population is still the same percentage (I actually think the percentages are growing, but there are valid points about the media and information age making it "appear" that way, so neither here nor there) and that "idiot" population is getting dumber and dumber and has less and less morals.

You really need to dust up on your social history. There simply isn't evidence to support these kinds of conclusions, especially American society. Levels of education/literacy are far higher today than they were in the first half of the last century, and America is one of the most literate, educated societies the world has ever seen.

Agree with knapp, again (bizarre day, eh?) I did some research as an undergrad when I took a course on Morality for my Education requirement, and there was no data or studies that indicated that any of those claims are even remotely true. Most, if not all, studies show that we have indeed changed, as a society, and are much more scientific and methodical in our thinking now than in previous generations, but have shown little to no moral degeneration. The problems may be different now, to reflect current society, than they were previously, but parallels can be drawn, indicating that this downward shift is false, and has been created due to the same problems, idiocy, and what have you being more accessible and given more coverage than ever before, due to the popularity they draw in both TV ratings and issues sold in print, as well as the vast availability of media on the internet.

In this example, I am confident operating under the assumption that there have been parents acting like this, either identically or on par, for as long as America has existed. However, before YouTube, it was a local story, if that, and nobody else was the wiser. I do not, however, believe that the United States is a dumber, less moral society than it was 20, 40, or 80 years ago -- in fact, I believe it is quite the opposite. Children and teenagers have been discredited and thought of as immature, dumb, thoughtless, and reckless for generations. You (generalization) think it of today's children, your parents thought it of your generation, and theirs of them, etc. I do see how it can be extremely difficult to separate oneself from that, though.

We've had bad apples since our beginning as a nation, and I don't think we've shifted downwardly in the department of morality or intelligence. I do feel that it's quite the contrary, actually.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:06 pm

knapplc wrote:You really need to dust up on your social history. There simply isn't evidence to support these kinds of conclusions, especially American society. Levels of education/literacy are far higher today than they were in the first half of the last century, and America is one of the most literate, educated societies the world has ever seen.

My grandmother dropped out of school in the 4th grade to work on the family farm. I don't disagree when you speak of education/literacy levels.

I'm talking common sense dumb when I speak of education. Doesn't really matter to me if someone can read, recite, and understand Shakespeare if they are too stupid to realize that sticking a fork in a lightsocket is a bad idea.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk