Yahoo Veto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Veto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Veto

Postby Dude86 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:37 am

How do vetoes work in yahoo public leagues? Who makes the decision? Does the league vote?Does yahoo decide? Cause I had a trade set with another owner (Jeff kent & Torii Hunter for Manny Ramirez) I see no reason why this trade would be vetoed.
Last edited by Dude86 on Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:48 am

For a public league I think if 4 of 12 owners veto it, it doesn't go thru.

I think I'd want the Manny side, but it isn't the worst deal I've ever seen.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dude86 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:52 am

I was the one getting Manny... however it was a very fair offer. The guy needed a 2B so bad. He had Aaron Boone starting. It really shouldn't have been vetoed. If this league vetos a trade like this then I don't know what kind of trade will pass through. If this is a sign of things to come then I'm really not looking forward to playing in this league.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:13 am

Private leagues are the way to go, bro.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:14 am

I'd post in the league message board why they think the trade was vetoable, but not in an accusatory way.

Explain both sides, re-submit the deal (re-work it a bit if the league demands it) and try again.

I took over a last place dead team in a keeper league at Sandbox a few years back. My trades got vetoed until I explained I was a new owner, trying to make some deals to improve my standings. My goal was to NOT be in last by the end of the year. Other owners relented after they realized I was honestly doing good things for my team.

...and I did eventually crawl out of 10th and into 9th place.

oboy!

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dude86 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:15 am

Yeah I'm in a couple of privates but I always like to play one public and it usually works out ok. But so far it hasn't been so pleasant this time around.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:19 am

people are probably down on Kent after being injured for much of last year and his draft stock isn't particularly high. pretty consistent third or fourth rounder, he's ranked #40 by ESPN avg. draft position 39.4

Manny is a guy who's going in the end of the first or early second round of most drafts and is ranked #9 by ESPN avg. draft position 11.3

Torii Hunter, on the other hand, had a down season last year. He probably isn't even in the top 30 OF this year, he's ranked #135 by ESPN, 41st among OF avg. draft position 136

Incidentally I think these ESPN Rankings are pretty spot on, or as close as you can get to it.

That being said, consider that with Hunter being the 41st ranked OF, he isn't a starter on most any fantasy offense.

People are seeing your trade as essentially Kent and a throw in for Manny.

I'm not the least bit surprised to see a veto, and though I'd probably refrain from voting to veto myself, it'd be a close decision.

People don't want to see other teams get better through what they feel is a bad deal, and unfortunately for you, this is a bad deal. Personally I don't blame them for vetoing, but I tend to be more conservative about what trades are and aren't passable.

I'm likely to be the only one here who thinks a veto here is reasonable since most people here tend to be very liberal with their allowable trades, but I stand by my principles and they tell me, one is justified, if not called for.

In addition, I once visited a site, the name of which I can't recall where you could plug in two draft pick numbers against one draft pick number and the site would tell you whether the trade fair, or skewed in one way or the other.

It's data was based on relative value of players picked at these spots over the course of several seasons. I experimented with it for a little while and it has changed part of the way I think about rating players and draft picks.

Let's assume Manny goes 11th in the draft and Kent goes 41st, with Hunter going 136th.

If I were to plug in the numbers 41 and 136 against the number 11, as in I was thinking about trading the previous two numbered picks for the third, the site would not even come close to saying that was a fair trade for me. I suspect for this draft pick rater to rule an equally balanced trade it would be something in the neighborhood of either a 20 and a 60, or a 35 and a 36 for the aforementioned 11.

These are rough estimations based on my recall of the relative values I inserted and the outcomes I got, but if you've actually read this post in its entirety, I think you get the idea.

In conclusion, the trade is very lopsided in your favor, and you shouldn't be so upset about the veto. Public leagues even veto fair trades, which this one isn't.

Also, if anyone has a link to a site like this, I'd like to go back and check it out again.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby bravelaker » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:02 am

Yeah i tend to agree i dont think it was unreasonable that this trade got vetoed its clearly in favor on the manny side that being said it was a close call.
bravelaker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:02 am

Definitely not a vetoable trade :,-(

Furthermore, I tend to drop each trade in one of 3 categories:

1) Fair trade ;-D
2) Someone's probably getting an edge but both teams receive good players :-B
3) Vetoable :-P

I'd say this trade falls under category one.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mighty Monks » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:27 am

yea, a trade being fair does not go by espns rankings, it goes by if it helps their team. If the team with manny needed a 2nd baseman and thought kent would be better this year and thought hunter would bounce back, it is by all means a fair trade. Just because the picks on espn dont line up does not mean crap. Obviously the o ther guy thought Kent would help his team and thought it fair. This is definately not a vetoable trade.
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers