Sick of yahoo leagues already - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sick of yahoo leagues already

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Casimir » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:35 am

4Pack wrote:Your "taking candy from a baby" point would be a good one if only a couple managers paid attention to their team or knew what they were doing.

I never mentioned anything about having only a couple of good managers that pay attention in a league. What I was trying to address was your commentary that its no more or less satisfying to win a private league with expert owners as it was to win a public league.

A few posts ago in this thread, you mentioned trying to pick out the sucker managers and making sure that you did some more dealing with them. How is this not taking candy from a baby? Is this really good competition? Is this really enjoyable? Sounds like an easy way to win. Too easy. Not really worthwhile, and doesn't really prove much.

But like I said before, to each their own.
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Postby GeltzJG » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:35 am

After I started playing Baseballmanager, there is no way that I can play in the Yahoo leagues seriously. I'll join them and ignore them most of the season. If you haven't checked it out, go to http://www.baseballmanager.com That's the best fantasy baseball system. You play head to head using live stats from the night before to generate a score. It's so much fun. Big time drain though to stay competitive.
Geltz
GeltzJG
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby 4Pack » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:51 am

Yep...I said that...and if I can beat the 8 or so other quality managers in the league to the punch....then I gained an edge over them. And...believe it or not....their are quality managers in private leagues that you can get a steal from also. Then again...one managers interpretation of a steal is not always another mangers interpretation.

BTW.... what does winning a private league prove versus winning a public league? As I said...in private leagues.... for the most part...you just need a little more luck and to pay a little more attention to detail to your team. It is not as if the competition is so far and away better that it is not comparable.

And Geltz.....why join a league if you are not going to keep up with your team?
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Casimir » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:56 am

4Pack wrote:BTW.... what does winning a private league prove versus winning a public league? As I said...in private leagues.... for the most part...you just need a little more luck and to pay a little more attention to detail to your team. It is not as if the competition is so far and away better that it is not comparable.

Its not a matter of winning a public or a private league as it is the level of competition. I would agree that public leagues are more apt to have owners who fall out after a few months.

Being able to take candy from a baby and cakewalk to a championship proves nothing. Being able to compete against quality managers and win is the challenge. What fun is succeeding without a challenge versus with a challenge?
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Postby 4Pack » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:13 pm

When the only difference in a league is that one league has a 3-4 more quality mangers at the MOST (private versus public) out of a 12 team league...then that is not a huge difference. Although it takes a little more effort to have a satisfying season in a private league....it is not as if it is so much more difficult that only a championship in a private league is worthy of pride.

And....being in a private league does not automatically make a manager a fantasy guru. It just means that...well...it just means they are in a private league and are a little more likey to pay a little more attention to their team. LOL!
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:33 pm

I've been getting crappy offers for Vlad, too. But the funniest thing is that I drafted Vlad in the THIRD ROUND of my yahoo! league.

I didn't even realize he was still on the board until a couple picks before mine. I think the reason is that yahoo had him ranked in the 20s or 30s.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:59 pm

yeah, there seems to be a plentitude of lowballs in the early season trade fiasco. my two publeague teams are awfully similar, both pitching staffs anchored by josh beckett, johan santana, and carlos zambrano...

people were trying to pry beckett from me for like... woody williams, with messages like "dude.. u need SP!!! urs is unproven"

one guy kept sending me ridiculous offers involving, shoot, rocco baldelli and david wells for beckett and one of my hitters. both of my players were easily regarded as better than both of his, and he gave me 4 variations and eventually he started sending messages like "wtf u need veteran pitching fool"

barring some freakshow with santana, beckett, vlad, and sosa, i look forward to pasting these kids this season, as i tend to do every year =D

(oh and i'm in the COMPTITIVE leagues, mang. and i even signed up on day #1 so it should be leagues comprised of people who were really wanting to play)
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby jonnyblack » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:43 pm

Is "plentitude" a word?
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby KolbSaves » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:27 pm

if sini says it is, it is now
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eli81k » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:17 pm

4Pack wrote:"...It must be satisfying to win such a competative league."

LOL eli! No more or less satisfying than it is to win a private league with "expert fantasy managers". In a private league...you just need to spend a few more minutes a day paying attention to your team. No matter how you slice or dice it....it still comes down to your players performing. In a public league....a mangers experience can carry him too a top tier finish....while in a private league...you need a combination of experience and good old fashioned luck. Since luck is just that.....it is tough to take satisfaction from.

Sorry if I offend some managers when I say that luck plays a huge role in success in fantasy games....but....that is just my opinion.

LOL Pack!...

I never said there weren't good owners in the public leagues. There are tons. Just that by screwing a few rubes that don't know any better in trades, you are going to wind up with a pretty juiced team fairly easily. It is a little harder to win if you don't have some rookie stocking a few teams like he's a minor league affiliate.

Chance favors the prepared mind. Of course there is an amount of luck involved, but that doesn't negate the decision making process involved in GMing, and especially in daily transaction leagues with head to head scoring, managing a fantasy squad.

If you honestly think it is all luck anyway, you should just get your league together and play one-card guts instead of fantasy baseball.

If no one in a league gets to rape and pillage the village idiot's talent pool, things become more competative and thus victory is worth more.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers